SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at 2 bikes right now; a 2002 CRF450R and a 1999 WR400F. Both are in great condition, low miles, already converted, and street legal. Same price for each.

The CRF is going to be a more high performace machine, but is the WR's reliability enough to close that gap if it will be used primarily (95%+) on the street?

The bike will be used mostly around town and on weekends. I may commute with it some in the summer months (7 miles highway + some city) but for fun rather than necessity. I'll never track this bike. Right now I'm leaning towards the WR for my uses, though I do think the CRF is a better deal price wise.

What are other peoples opinions? Are there other features I should be aware of?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Honestly, I think you are going to be happy with either. If i were in your situation, I'd go for the WR though because of the maintenance factor. Changing oil isn't a big deal, but for a street bike, that CRF is going to be needing valve adjustment a lot. The WR is running stainless valves and they rarely need adjusting.

Another thing to note, the CRF will definitely have more power, however, given the fact you will not be putting this bike on the track, I highly doubt you will see a noticable value to the extra umph.

Just my .02 though...good luck!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
my 07 crf450r has 65 hours and valves have not budged!.....sorry i just had to

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you wanted to couldn't you just replace the CRF stock Ti valves with stainless ones?

I guess what I'm most worried about with the CRF is if it will blow up on me on the way to the twisties. I live in the city and will want to ride 30-50 miles to get to the good roads on the weekends.

On the other hand I also hear CRF's are much cheaper to fix the top ends. Any truth to this?

·
Registered
325 Posts
One thing that make the WR more streetable is the wide ratio transmission. It will keep the RPM's down at Hwy speeds. The 99 WR holds quite a bit more oil than the CRF's. Just my 2 cents. WD

·
Registered
411 Posts
my crf has about 20 hours and my first valve check was just a lil off spec and i heard from most crfs owners that valve maintenance aint that bad. with 95% street scenario, the only thing that worries me is the gearing. i dont think either bike is set up for highway speeds unless you change out the sprockets.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
One thing that make the WR more streetable is the wide ratio transmission. It will keep the RPM's down at Hwy speeds. The 99 WR holds quite a bit more oil than the CRF's. Just my 2 cents. WD
Beat me to it, id go with the WR for the tranny. When you say highway do you mean 60-70 MPH speeds. The CRF isant very happy over 45 with stock gearing. And if you try to gear it way up then 1st gear will be way to high:rolleyes:

+ the WR will be more reliable. the CRF really is just a competition bike.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If you wanted to couldn't you just replace the CRF stock Ti valves with stainless ones?

I guess what I'm most worried about with the CRF is if it will blow up on me on the way to the twisties. I live in the city and will want to ride 30-50 miles to get to the good roads on the weekends.

On the other hand I also hear CRF's are much cheaper to fix the top ends. Any truth to this?
i have two crf's aND THEY HAVE NEVER BLOWN UP ON ME......my 03 is a dirt machine not racing mx just trails......hardcore single tracks and mongo hills......who knows how many hours but the valves are still in spec and no issue starting.......i attest this to not letting the oil go more than 5 hours and a super clean air filter all the time:thumbup:

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've got a 07 wr450 that I ride on the street . It has over 4000 miles on it now . the valves have not moved . the gear ratios are nicer for the street then the crf450r . the only thing my bike goes thru is chains and tires. there are guy's with wr's with over 10000 miles on them they are a tough bike . but they are not the fastest as far as racing goes. the wr takes alot of mods to make it fast.

·
Registered
516 Posts
on the WR, you can sink it in 8 foot of water running.......and then ride for 5 hours with oil that looks like this.....

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
on the WR, you can sink it in 8 foot of water running.......and then ride for 5 hours with oil that looks like this.....

that's not oil.......thats a java monster mean bean:eek:

·
Registered
516 Posts
I cannot speak for the Hondas as I have not owned one. But, my 99 ran over 50 hair scrambles, 5K street miles, hundreds of MX track days, and the Baja 1000 before it's first rebuild. It cam apart and didnt even need bored. New stock piston went in and its back to beatings. I pound the everliving shit out of mine and it doesnt even use a drop of oil.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well yeah, you have to use different sprockets than what comes on the dirt version. With the CRF I've looked at swapping out with a CR250 transmission, which is the same 1-3, but has a taller 4th and 5th. The WR tranny is pretty solid as is, by all accounts.

One interesting thing is that with 15/41 sprockets both of the CRF and WR should have a taller 5th gear than the DRZSM (which comes 15/41 stock).

Not sure if there is a better site, but I calculated it here:
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts