SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its been discussed to death but i am still at a major loss here
every tire i put on lasts about 2-300 miles
i am ready to put on a avon venom really soon, i use it for commuting about 25 miles each way 5 days a week, but when i "get on it" i actually want some sticky back there. the center wears flat and gives me a HUGE block on the side(but it does hold very well) i know the holeshots and wheelies dont help much but 300 miles max?
continental road attack 200 miles
continental road attack ds 300
pilot power 150

cant use a dot slick

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
150 miles on a pilot power... man what are you doing to that bike that only makes tyres last that long. are you sure you're running correct pressures? I got friends that pull wheelies all day long when we go riding but even the softest tyres still last well over 500 miles on their bikes. it's not like a WR450 is packing so much power it'll tear a tyre to schreds in a matter of miles...

·
Registered
66 Posts
You put on a new tire once a week? I have a WR 426 with DOT full knobs and have more miles than that. That seems a bit harsh on your tires. Are you running a full street tire? If you are running a dual sport tire look at the Maxxis 6006, if you need some off road tread. If not try searching on of the big bike sites for what tires they run on the KTM,BMW, 900cc bikes and the like. I think one is called ADV riders or something along those lines. It is all about big adventure/touring bikes .

·
Registered
544 Posts
Uhhh...something's whack if you're going through tires that fast. I'd call myself an intermediate rider (not too soft, not extremely aggressive). I'm rolling on Contiforce SM's and after 600 miles, the tire still has plenty on it. I'm betting it will last to about 1,000 before it needs replacing. Bike's a YZ426F, a little lighter, but very similar.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
i know the holeshots and wheelies dont help much but 300 miles max?
I think his statement helps explain it.

How much of your tire is stuck up under your fender?

I used to get guys saying....my tire must be defective.....and take them out to point out where their tire rubber was at for them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
what size rear tire are u runnin coz that can have a huge impact..if its too big it will be destroyed quickly and also if u go in a strait line a lot it will wear the middle of the tire down to nearly flat surface

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
150/70zr17
i really dont do alot of burnouts, but mostly straight line commuting
i just got my conti dual sport i will see what happens

·
Registered
77 Posts
its been discussed to death but i am still at a major loss here
every tire i put on lasts about 2-300 miles
i am ready to put on a avon venom really soon, i use it for commuting about 25 miles each way 5 days a week, but when i "get on it" i actually want some sticky back there. the center wears flat and gives me a HUGE block on the side(but it does hold very well) i know the holeshots and wheelies dont help much but 300 miles max?
continental road attack 200 miles
continental road attack ds 300
pilot power 150

cant use a dot slick

Hmm...that definitely doesn't sound right. I run pilot powers on my 'Hawk, and I used to wheelie the shit out of that thing, and definitely not afraid to use all availiable HP at hand, and they still lasted me a bit over 3,000 miles. Your telling me a SM, at almost half the weight, and half the horsepower is chewing through them at 300miles ?!?

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Hmm...that definitely doesn't sound right. I run pilot powers on my 'Hawk, and I used to wheelie the shit out of that thing, and definitely not afraid to use all availiable HP at hand, and they still lasted me a bit over 3,000 miles. Your telling me a SM, at almost half the weight, and half the horsepower is chewing through them at 300miles ?!?
it's not the weight or the peak power of a bike that's chews up tyres but the way the bike releases it's power. singles have instant torque as soon as you hit the throttle. a supermoto will chew up rear tyres pretty fast, eventhough in faceplant's case it's way too fast so something must be off. tyres that may last a couple 1000 miles on a supersport might not even last half as as long on a supermoto. pilot powers on my old exc 450 lasted about 1500 miles and supercorsa's about 1250 miles on average.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe you should look for an alignment problem? Tweaked frame or swingarm? Or maybe a misadjustment of the wheel in the swingarm? Just some thoughts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts