SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm plodding along in 4th and I tip her into 5th (I'm lifting it in 4th and bang her into 5th) and it starts to slip - grip... The common dog problem is my diagnosis... That's not my question, my question is that I keep hearing under cutting the dogs will solve the issue for next time round. What is that? Is it expensive, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of having it done?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
undercutting cuts the dogs back at an angle so when they contact they pull themselves together almost so instead of having it contact like this || and its just a flat surface it contacts like this // (> travel) if that makes sense to you. i think you can find pics of how its done around the internet too possibly on TT but i dont remember.

z

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
undercutting cuts the dogs back at an angle so when they contact they pull themselves together almost so instead of having it contact like this || and its just a flat surface it contacts like this // (> travel) if that makes sense to you. i think you can find pics of how its done around the internet too possibly on TT but i dont remember.

z
Ah I get you i think... They lock together, like a cap and a bottle... So when they are under pressure they can't slip off! Are there any downsides to doing this?

Thank you very much :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ah I get you i think... They lock together, like a cap and a bottle... So when they are under pressure they can't slip off! Are there any downsides to doing this?

Thank you very much :) :) :)
the downside price youll probably spend more than the gear is worth as well as longevity... because honestly these gears are coated or shot peened or something or other for strenthg once thats gone from the surface they wont last as long. Yes they will work great when newer but they are softer if not re hardened.
Really the best way is to make sure the shift forks arent bent and to do good solid shifts when doing so.

How many hrs/miles on the trans? and honestly any ground power shifted wheely wrenching grind till she fits shifts? i know if had a few but shes still grabbin gears like a champ so far.

z

1 - 4 of 4 Posts