SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

How you guys doing? Hope everyone is doing Excellent and still getting better.

So I picked up a CA plated wr 400 that has basically been always an enduro. Sooo... I'm trying to change that here and a few questions came up:

1. The gearing. Right now it seems like the first 2 gears are almost useless, I can take of in second alright, if I try to gun a it a bit it wheelies.... :rolleyes: so I'm trying to figure out the sprocket sizes right now but there's another problem.

2. The wheels are still stock with dirt tires on them. Right now I don't have an extra 1200 for a new set so I guess we'll need to keep these ones for now. So can I change just the rear sprocket right now and then swap it on the sumo wheels without messing with the chain too much? Or is it better to cut down on the soft drinks and get the new set?

3. Steering starts floating slightly at high speeds. Is it because of no steering stabilizer or is it because of dirt setup? Or is it something to worry about?

4. Was it real windy the past few days or do you always have to battle the wind on the freeway like that?

Other than that I think I'm in love.... Especially after about a week of trying to kick start the thing I finally figured it out and now kick it in 1 kick warm or cold or whatever! Kinda makes it a real MANS BIKE! :coffee:

Thanks in advance everyone, looking forward to riding with everyone! :thumbup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
you can change the gearing a bit now and prolly get away with keeping the stock chain. i'd say drop a couple teeth in the rear and maybe pick one up in the front. when and if you get 17's you will prolly change the rear sprocket again and have to cut the chain. floating front is pretty normal with knobbies. steering damper might help a bit but a front aggressive knobbie is prolly always gonna be sketchy at speed. can't comment on the wind as i don't live in CA. but highways speeds sitting straight upright pretty much sucks regardless of the wind.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what I thought about the knobies... :rolleyes:

But I have to say stiffening the suspension helped out alot! Not as fun jumping speed bumps, curbs and what not :anim_peep: ... but greatly increased the feel of the road so I guess we're keeping it that way.

Now just waiting to get the supermoto stuff for my bike... :bannana:

Seems like it's taking for freakin for ever!

·
Registered
305 Posts
i just got a wr400 this morning! it was converted over to a dual sport. it was sketchy on the highway as well but thats just the tires. i am going to stiffen up the susp. in the morning. good luck on the build i'm waiting on the ok from the boss lady to order me some wheels! :lol:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hahaha.... had the issue with the boss lady but when this deal came up....

I just couldn't resist....

G'luck with your new "Man's bike" Especially when u first kick-try to start it ;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Did you find wheels for your WR400 yet? I'm trying to find some for my '98 but they are a lot of money.
Yes! I ended up gettin some on eBay that fit the newer models and just got a used swingarm, axle bolt, and brake caliper on eBay as well. I think I had just over $700 for all of it!

·
Registered
69 Posts
you can buy hoops and spokes and lace them to the stock hub on the cheap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts