SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have riden dirt mikes most of my life. I have decided i want to get a super moto. This will be my first bike to ride on the street. I cant decide between the two. I read the post a while ago about the comparison. For a first time buyer, which bike do you recomend? i would appreciate any feed back.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
If I were choosing between the 2 bikes. I'd personally go with the drz400. But for one reason, price. I don't mind buying used bikes, and I could get a decent used drz400 for less then the wr250x. I don't think you can wrong with either bike though. The drz is a bit heavier but currently there are more aftermarket goodies for it, and you can do the 3x3 mod, jet kit, and exhaust and pull a bit more power then the wr250x.

I was a bit weary (sp?) of get of the wr250x at first, because it was new and its the first year being fuel injected. But quite a few members on here are getting them and flogging them pretty hard, and nobody is reporting any big problems.

Again i you can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya thats kinda what i was thinking. i know there is a lot more after market stuff for the drz. i have always been a yamaha guy, but i dont know if i like the yamaha sm yet. any web sites i can check out the aftermarket parts?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
This is what I posted over at Thumpertalk where someone else posted essentially the same question. He asked some direct questions about power, weight and mods:
To answer your questions, the DRZ has more HP stock (33 vs 27). Cheapest to hop up, at this point, is probably the DRZ only since it has been around nearly 10 years so there are tons of aftermarket parts out there for it. The WRX is brand new so not as many options. As for reliability, the DRZ is pretty bullet proof. The WRX is brand new and as such, there is no past track record to look at, but my guess is it will match the DRZ for reliability.

The stock DRZ is heavier that the stock WRX, by about 29 pounds (321 wet vs 292 wet). Both bikes can be lightened up by removing unnecessary stuff, but neither is light when compared to the more track oriented bikes.

There are many options, tried and tested, to bump the power up on the DRZ. If you look in the DRZ section here, you will see that Eddie has built many reliable DRZ motors putting out near 60hp, but it takes a ton of money to get there. The WRX will never see that kind of power output no matter what amount you sink into it. However, if you are looking for something to ride and do not plan on messing with it, they are both on pretty level ground as delivered.

Rowdy's comparison at supermotojunkie is definitely worth a good read. You will need to register to read it but that should not stop you. There is tons of SM specific information available over there.

I have a DRZ for several reasons, not the least of which is the WRX was not around when I bought my bike 3 years ago. I am currently planning a big bore and cams which should put me in 46-48hp range. I enjoy messing with things. Stock is no good in my book ;) so the DRZ fits my bill better.

Either way, both are great bikes and I don't think you would regret buying either one. Get whichever calls to you more. Follow your heart, after all its a motorcycle. It is supposed to be an emotional thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it is going to be your only bike then I believe the DRZ is the better choice. The bike is a little larger and better suited for highway travel. The aftermarket choices are almost limitless. I picked mine up with a full system and lots of extras for like 4K with low milage. The WR-X has a lot of positive points. It is a little lighter, newer, and bit more agile. But these positives in the big picture do not over shadow the day to day usefulness of the DRZ. You could actually put a passenger on the back and it will still move. Plus at the track, stock, or mod for mod. The DRZ has the WR-X hands down. The tiny advantage the WR-x has at mid corner is quickly dispatched by the DRZ's far better exit grunt and straight line acceleration. The DRZ is also more stable at full lean than the WR. The WR will transition from right to left a little quicker. Brakes are about even. Unless the race in held at an indoor go-kart Track, The DRZ would be my weapon of choice. I had mine out last week grinding off the foot pegs. I just had to ordered a set of peg sliders and a list of race parts. Dollar for dollar the most fun on a bike I have ever had. Going to buy another DRZ so me and the girlfriend can stop fighting over it.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Very well put...Motor10 and WRXboy...I own a DRZ and have loved every mile...But I wouldnt mind having a WRX to commute everyday with...EFI & 6sp are great options.They are good looking bikes.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Isn't the Yami like $2,500 MORE THAN THE DiZzeR?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts