SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...a "fire dragon brothers" front rotor (310mm)??

coming from the sportbike scene, FDB has a pretty decent rep for quality parts at an affordable price, but mostly levers, caps, mirrors, etc. not sure how i feel about a front rotor - a SINGLE front rotor. :|

what do y'all think?

·
Registered
364 Posts
What kind of bike are you using this on?

Most true supermotards are so light that a single front rotor is more than enough to stop them. I do understand your concern though. I also came from the sport bike scene before building a sumo.

I've never heard of that brand (Fire Dragon Brothers) though. I have a crf450r with a Magura 320mm front rotor. I know a lot of the KTMs use 310mm rotors.

Here is a pic:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've always been a proponent of getting the best part you can afford at the time... so i'm really leaning towards the Braking full-floating SS one. maybe even the 320mm with relocating caliper bracket. we'll see... should go great with my new-to-me magura 13mm radial master and fren tubo white type 2 brake lines. :D we'll see what the delivered price will be... EBC is ~$175. i'm thinking Braking will be ~$250 (with bracket). and that FDB one is ~$115. idk... facka!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would not pick a component that I do not trust 100% for brakes in general, let a lone a single front rotor. I would stick with the big boys in the supermoto scene (Brembo, Braking, Magura, EBC, Motomaster, etc).

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I would not pick a component that I do not trust 100% for brakes in general, let a lone a single front rotor. I would stick with the big boys in the supermoto scene (Brembo, Braking, Magura, EBC, Motomaster, etc).
+1

Sizing? The difference between a 320mm and a 310mm is barely noticeable. agg2001, if you're replacing your rotor stick with a 310mm. The biggest differences with the DRZ SM braking system comes from the master, line, and caliper. If you haven't already installed the Magura MC and the line, you will notice a HUGE improvement.

If I were to do mine over again, I would get an inexpensive 310mm replacement rotor, save up some more money in the mean time and get a Brembo caliper and 320mm rotor at the same time. I am very confident with my front brake. I like to trail brake really hard and load up the front tire, I think, a little bit more than some. So, what I really need is the very best trade off between feedback and power. From my research (not experience) Brembo equipment should be the right stuff for what I need. Might be a little overboard for street use.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1

Sizing? The difference between a 320mm and a 310mm is barely noticeable. agg2001, if you're replacing your rotor stick with a 310mm. The biggest differences with the DRZ SM braking system comes from the master, line, and caliper. If you haven't already installed the Magura MC and the line, you will notice a HUGE improvement.

If I were to do mine over again, I would get an inexpensive 310mm replacement rotor, save up some more money in the mean time and get a Brembo caliper and 320mm rotor at the same time. I am very confident with my front brake. I like to trail brake really hard and load up the front tire, I think, a little bit more than some. So, what I really need is the very best trade off between feedback and power. From my research (not experience) Brembo equipment should be the right stuff for what I need. Might be a little overboard for street use.
yea, i've got a magura 13mm radial i just received (which i will ask about in a bit), a set of stainless brake lines from fren tubo (the best ;)) and will be running the super blue racing fluid by ATE. i'm trying this vs. my regular rbf600 simply b/c it's blue... and i thought it would look cool. :D anyhow, i NEED a new rotor - even a stocker. it's just wore out and REALLY loose. i'm not looking at swapping rotors for "better braking" but if i'm going to have to spend the money on a replacement now, might as well get a good one. i'm really looking at the 310 b/c i don't wanna worry about a different caliper location. we'll see... i'm waiting on pricing from my "guy" in cali for the braking - we'll see what he says. :|

now for the MC... i got it on ebay (the 195 model) and it's for a sportbike. i know plenty of machinists so i'm not worried about a retrofit to the fat bar, but would like some input from anyone with experience. any tips, solutions, or ideas for me? pics would be MUCH appreciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts