SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I have an old 2000 KTM 380 2 stroke and a 2016 RMZ 450 wondering which would be better to make a super moto out of ? I am not really good on dirt bikes and find myself riding my R1 more but if I had a super moto :cool: I am near Chicago IL and new to the fourm here I ride in more in town and off road situations than on road it seems like. I am also CRAZY GOOFY have a weird thing for MX boots :ROFLMAO:o_O:p:eek:so I could wear them on a super moto and not get strange looks like you would on a sport bike haha.(I have like 12 pairs of tech 10's) Please don't :poop: on me because I am being honest about myself and I am an oddball LOL

Thanks, for the welcome

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Katoom would be my choice. But bearing in mind that you need to pre mix it, depends on how far you will take it. A small tail pack or bag with a bottle of 2t isn't hard to carry but don't forget! What it takes to make a Sumo work on the road properly is obviously wheels and tires, sprockets and brakes. Springs and suspension work I'd leave unless you are really raving. Look at Warp9 for some cheaper options to get you going. Stick with 17s, not 16.5s. Check your chain clearances. A 5 inch rear sounds cool but a 4.5 might be all that fits. It's possible to space the sprockets but why bother? Tires are hard to find and expensive for the 16s. Brakes are an open feast. A big rotor can be matched to the original caliper with a bespoke spacer. Check availability or get one machined. You might spend big on a full front kit if you want to. Braking and Beringer are the shit, but you can go much cheaper. The 2T might need a tooth or 2 extra on the front and possibly a shit load of teeth off the rear, depends on how you ride and how you want it to pull. So a new chain is probably on the cards. The rear spring will be too soft but don't worry. The front will be WAY too soft but initially just crank up the preload and don't make the rebound or damping too hard. That's roughly what it takes. Plus a set of balls and a healthy disregard for your own well being. Which I'd say you already have.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
while I love smokers, there's a good reason why most people run 450s rather than 2 strokes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts