SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I recently converted my DR650 to SM and now have severe wobbles at all speeds. When I say wobbles, I mean it rides ok howver if I shake the steering a little at any speed, it induces a wobble. If I take hands off, wobble.

Prior to conversion, stock wheels had absolutely no wobble no matter how much I would try and induce it.

I'm seeking some advice from anyone having this issue with specifically a DR650 conversion.

I have factory lowered front and rear.
New wheel bearings and head stem bearings

Thanks in advance.:headscrat

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If the wheels seem to be straight I suspect it's a geometry issue. How much did you lower front/rear?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the wheels seem to be straight I suspect it's a geometry issue. How much did you lower front/rear?
I factory lowered the bike front and rear, I believe it's about 50mm. This was done prior to the SM conversion. There were no issues prior.

I'm thinking I'll raise the front only to stock length. I would have thought more weight on the front wheel would have been a positive.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
I have founds these complaints related to a worn front tire.

If you are using a new tire: put the whole thing on some sort of wheel balancer set up. (Worst case use the axle and stands, or forks with the caliper removed.)
Check it for roundness, inc tire mounting.
If there is low enough friction on your setup, check/improve static balance. ("Stick on" or spoke weights)

Good luck. You'll get it fixed. Eliminating one thing at a time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you mean by "factory lowered"?
The DR650 has a factory lowering method for front and rear. The shock has 2 bolt holes on the lower clevis and there are spacers to flip in the forks. This method lowers the bike 40mm both front and rear.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I factory lowered the bike front and rear, I believe it's about 50mm. This was done prior to the SM conversion. There were no issues prior.

I'm thinking I'll raise the front only to stock length. I would have thought more weight on the front wheel would have been a positive.
If it's equal lowering front/rear, rake and trail shouldn't change.

More weight up front typically makes for more stability, but the decreased rake and trail counteract that, so lowering the front end will often make it less stable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts