SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-
I'm looking to pick up a motorcycle here coming up pretty soon, and Ive wanted a supermoto for longer than I can remember. The only problem is that coming up this summer Im going to need a bike to take a week long trip with a buddy through the mountains and deserts all over Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah. Id love to pick up a drz-400sm, but I'm afraid it will kill me on a long trip. Ive never ridden a supermoto before, but I have ridden long distances on an older dual-sport. I figure you guys probably know best about rinding supermotos, so the question is do you think I should go for the supermoto and suck it up, or should I look for a bike with a more 'standard' geometry? And unfortunately getting both is out of the question, haha.

Thanks for the input
-Ben

·
Registered
206 Posts
Get what you want dude!
If you get the drz just gear the shit out of it,so you don't kill it trying to run 80+mph for a long time:thumbup:

·
Registered
590 Posts
The DRZ will fare better than some of the racier SMs on a long roadtrip, but your cruising speeds will definately be on the low side compared to a streetbike. What kind of bike will your friend be riding, will you be doing mostly freeway or backroads? I'd say get what you want, don't buy a bike you'll regret later just for one trip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my friend will be on a racey street bike. Probably along the lines of a Honda 900. I'm not looking to smoke him or anything, but Id like to be able to 90, tops on the freeway, but 80 will probably be closer to cruise speeds. We will be on freeways and back roads about 50/50. Taking the freeways to the back roads.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i did a few long trips on the drz on the high way its not too bad, it keeps up at cruising speed, then they take off you cant keep up but you will spank them on the back roads, your butt will get numb after the first hour after that you dont notice :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man, you guys have me convinced. so, no I'm going to be spending way more money than I thought. But I think Ill be much happier with the moto.

Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts