SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i know this sounds like a dumb question, but my bikes geared pretty high, (yz450f stroked to 471) im takin it to the dunes on the 4th of july... should i put the paddle on straight away?

ORRRR should i take some video of street tires... do you think if i spin the tire enough w little to no air in it that i could climb a dune or will it just be no fun at all?

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can do it...but it's not a lot of fun imo. Throw a paddle on and tear it up! I've screwed around in some sand washes on mine with pilot power tires, once you get going it's not terrible. But climbing dunes would probably be pretty tough.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah :( thats what i figured, im goin to silver lake so i guess ill throw the dirt wheels on with a paddle.. i just really wanted to run mags at the dunes! i should get a paddle for the mag n leave the front haha

what do u guys think an 8 or 10 paddle?

·
Registered
144 Posts
are you saying that they make a 17 inch paddle tire and you won't have to change the wheel size?

·
Registered
111 Posts
if you find a paddle for a 17 let me know, i will be up at silver with ya if you can find it.

My buddy will be up there on his AFC500. Its a HOOT up there. Just make sure you know the game about getting into the dunes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the game? i have a spark arrestor, im a bit worried about how loud it is, but its a stock pipe...

my rear mag is an 18 so i can run a paddle on it haha

but i can loan you a dirt wheel!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have seen a paddle on a supermoto before. I think they went to one of those shops where they make the paddle for you buy gluing the paddles on? I figure 17's with a paddle on the rear and slick on the front would look badass!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
welp i got a cheap paddle. .. a sand pro 6 paddle.. i figure im geared pretty high so it will work out.. plus i like a lil tire spin.. what do you think will work beter in front

a my dunlop 120 on a 17

or my 21 inch dirt rim n tire?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know its late but dirt front for sure. I have seen a 17 inch paddle before and it was from fullerton sand sports. You send them a new tire and they buff it off and glue the desired amount of paddles on. I am sure they would love to help some sumo's out

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well street tires are useless haha but with the knobby front and 6 paddle and taller gears it was untouchable out there..

buuuut i jumped test hill a little too hard and shot 40 feet off the top for about an 80 foot total drop onto the flat part cuz i over shot the landing..

landed it well but knocked myself out.. broke my helmet and had to have my eyelid stitched back on.. pictures soon... bike was fine...

·
Registered
435 Posts
well street tires are useless haha but with the knobby front and 6 paddle and taller gears it was untouchable out there..

buuuut i jumped test hill a little too hard and shot 40 feet off the top for about an 80 foot total drop onto the flat part cuz i over shot the landing..

landed it well but knocked myself out.. broke my helmet and had to have my eyelid stitched back on.. pictures soon... bike was fine...
Sounds pretty intense glad your ok!

·
Registered
144 Posts

Sweet man we look forward to the pics

·
Registered
260 Posts

And to think I wanted to come on here and brag about the little bit of road rash I just picked up on my ride home...

Getting your eyelid stitched on takes the cake, pics asap :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
And to think I wanted to come on here and brag about the little bit of road rash I just picked up on my ride home...

Getting your eyelid stitched on takes the cake, pics asap :D
Hey lets hear about the road rash. What happened? Tell us more.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

this was right after in the truck on the way to the hospital.. i thought i was fine.. haha

broken nose cheek bone concussion n hole big enough to put your finger in next to my eye from my broken helmet..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts