SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Build a backwards motor, FI, wide ratio tranny WR450? The wr has always been based on the yz. They up'ed the yz, all the r&d is there.... Just a new tranny, choked up exhaust, stator and a headlight would make a badass sumo platform. What do y'all think? It makes sense they would in the next years instead of keeping them completely separate bikes....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd get one too if they ever decide to do that.
Almost got Aprilia SXV 450, decided not to because of many issues with them.
Yamaha is better product.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, I totally just had the idea staring at the wall earlier. Nothing planted the idea in my head. That's awesome there's rumor of it being real.

·
Registered
772 Posts
$$$$ thats why. but we will see one soon i'm sure. I personally think Yamaha spent so much $ on the new YZ 450 and 250F that they going little by little. Times are tight and they have pulled out of all there Factory SX stuff pretty much so only time will tell.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If they were 100% certain it would be worth it, we'd already have it.

They will probably make some changes to the WR-450F eventually, but nobody knows what and when, save for the bigshots back in the Yamaha factory headquarters.

I think that pic is just another Photoshop job.

·
Registered
913 Posts
more than likely it will be launched this year being a 2012 model.
the WR is 5 years old, they wont let it go for another year........

listen to the end of the vid, around 3:45....
that is Jonah Street(Yamaha Dakar WR450 rider):
"Next year, we are already working with Yamaha and GYTR, and we'll be going back with most likely a YZ-based fuel injected motor and looking to do a lot of testing and development this summer to really be prepared for next year."
more than likely he already has access to the bike if he's to race it next year.

if the new one has all the bells and whistles of the YZ, i'm buying one for the dirt........the street can wait.:)

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
more than likely it will be launched this year being a 2012 model.
the WR is 5 years old, they wont let it go for another year........

listen to the end of the vid, around 3:45....
that is Jonah Street(Yamaha Dakar WR450 rider):
"Next year, we are already working with Yamaha and GYTR, and we'll be going back with most likely a YZ-based fuel injected motor and looking to do a lot of testing and development this summer to really be prepared for next year."
more than likely he already has access to the bike if he's to race it next year.

if the new one has all the bells and whistles of the YZ, i'm buying one for the dirt........the street can wait.:)
You Might just have to buy two of them...lol. I'm hopefully gonna have a spot in the garage for one, maybe two.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think the biggest problem with updating the WR450 with the current gen YZ motor is working out what to do with the layout. They moved the air box and fuel tank around and would need to add at least another 1/2 gallon to the YZ tank for the WR, maybe more. And they need to add a charging system that does FI and lights, and stash a starter and a battery somewhere. The new twisty exhaust is right where you'd want to stick the battery.

This may have changed, but the last I heard the Dakar WRs weren't actually WRS, they were YZs with some WR bits on em.

That being said, I'd certainly like one.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think the biggest problem with updating the WR450 with the current gen YZ motor is working out what to do with the layout. They moved the air box and fuel tank around and would need to add at least another 1/2 gallon to the YZ tank for the WR, maybe more. And they need to add a charging system that does FI and lights, and stash a starter and a battery somewhere. The new twisty exhaust is right where you'd want to stick the battery.

This may have changed, but the last I heard the Dakar WRs weren't actually WRS, they were YZs with some WR bits on em.

That being said, I'd certainly like one.
i'm not too concerned with where they get the space to put those things......fact is, i wonder how the hell they start to build a bike....because there is no way i could cram all that stuff into such a tight package.
so i just don't bother worrying about it and let them do what they are good at.......

my concern with the whole thing is weight.
2011 YZ450 245 lbs
2009 YZ450 238 lbs
2009 WR450 272 lbs

the current WR is 34lbs over the YZ model its based on.....that includes the extra fuel, starter, battery, extra coolant, lights, stand etc.

if that is applied to the current 2011 YZ450 (which is 7lbs heavier than the older model, even though it has less fuel), its looking like ~279lbs could be the new WR's weight..........that's a lot.....
a serious diet would be needed to bring it down to an acceptable weight.

as for the YZ and WR's in the dakar......i've seen pics of WR engines in the WR frame, and i've seen YZ engines in YZ frames with lots of modifications done to both.......

its hard to tell what is what, but modifying a YZ to race in the dakar is an easy way to help development of a WR based on it.

WR

YZ

·
Registered
592 Posts
A little off the subject but when i picked up my WR-X i asked the salesman why Yamaha hadn't offered a WR450R/X. He pretty much said he figured it was money. Whats list price on the WR250X, $6199? Imagine what the 450 would be, Id guess almost $8k. And for that kinda money you can get a KTM, Husaberg ect. And look at what kinda performance you get with them. Again i'm just meaning a street version of the WR450, obviously you can just do the conversion yourself.

·
Registered
241 Posts
excuse my ignorance....but...what is the difference between the WR and the YZ? why would you want a WR450 if the YZ450 exists? sorry if thats a dumb question :hmmm:

·
Registered
96 Posts
google it and you'll know in under 5 seconds.

wr is a street legal enduro.
yz is a race only mx bike.
Unfortunately, it's a street legal enduro everywhere except the US.

Puglia10 said:
excuse my ignorance....but...what is the difference between the WR and the YZ? why would you want a WR450 if the YZ450 exists? sorry if thats a dumb question
To be more specific than Skully about the differences between the YZ and the WR:

The YZ has a close ratio gear box and stiffer suspension for motocross while the WR has a wide ratio (thus the WR moniker) gear box and softer suspension for trails. The WR has a battery, electric start, kickstand, and lights and as a result is heavier than the YZ. Prior to the radical redesign of the YZ in 2010, the WR and the YZ shared a similar engine. The bottom ends were slightly different, due mostly to the large stator the WR runs for the lights. The WR spec engine had milder cams and exhaust, but these could be replaced with the YZ parts for increased performance (and increased maintenance). The 2010 engine was radically different; with rearranged flow paths, engine geometry and orientation, and fuel injection. The WR remains unchanged from 2007, speculation is that it will soon be updated with a variant of the redesigned engine. The WR tends to make a better street legal supermoto because it is far easier to set up all the electrical items due to it already having provisions for them.

I'd like to see the WR with the new engine, but I'd like to see it sold as street legal from the factory here in the US even if that means not getting the new engine. A lot of places are clamping down on allowing conversions and legal from the factory would take a lot of the hassle out of it. As far as I know, the only enduro bikes on the market with fuel injection are the brand new KTM 350 and 500 EXC. Honda's CRF450X, the WR's biggest competition, still has a carburetor.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As far as I know, the only enduro bikes on the market with fuel injection are the brand new KTM 350 and 500 EXC. Honda's CRF450X, the WR's biggest competition, still has a carburetor.

i didnt know this until recently, but suzukis version of the wr/crfx, the rm-x, now has FI.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i didnt know this until recently, but suzukis version of the wr/crfx, the rm-x, now has FI.
Sorry, should have been more specific. As far as I know, we can't buy that bike in the US. According to Suzuki's US website and my local dealer's site it doesn't even exist. I suppose it's possible that they'll sell it as a 2012 model and haven't announced it yet though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts