SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am in no way bashing Aprilia or the SXV, infact it has the highest potential to be my next bike. I even owned a GPRS250 back in my CCS road racing days. I love everything about it, even the higher maintenance schedule believe it or not because I like working on my stuff.

I own a husky at the moment, I'm getting ready to sell that, and have some friends with KTM's so I know their market kinda well too. Anyway, point being, why are the SXV's seemingly so inexpensive compared to the other bikes? Even if the prices are within a few hundred dollars of each other, it seems like the milages on for sale Aprilia's are waaaayy lower.....

Thanks,
Nate

·
1,229 Posts
A lot of guys had problems with the first gen motors.

Some hassles with the factory getting replacements.

I believe it's sorted for the most part, but there's a stigma.

For $3500-5500 I'd snap one up and ride the piss out of it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dunno why for sure, but I suspect its due to the confusion around which ones are sorted (resealed 2007, and all 2008+) and which ones are time bombs (orange seal 2007).

But if you know what to avoid you can get some great deals. And if you don't you can buy yourself a grenade. *shrug*

I do know it means that as a buyer you can get a lot of bike cheap.

And as a seller you can expect to take a bath.

And knowing that, I still picked up my 2010 SXV 500 last week... brand new from the dealer. :)

I know if I have to sell it, I'll take a beating. But I also know that every single time I've tried to save money on a race bike, I've ended up being sorry, so I opted for a new one where I can control every single detail about what is done to the bike, both as a rider, and also as a mechanic.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Yea everyone freaks out when they see an sxv. I'm about to turn 6k miles on mine and I don't ride it like everyone suggests I do. Its been a long summer for it. Alot ... let me stress that ... ALOT!! of long, high speed days, ALOT of off road and dirt roads, ALOT of very very cold AND hot days, ALOT of wheelies , ALOT of highways, ALOT of falls and crashes, ALOT of rain, ALOT!!! of FUN!!!. Wouldn't trade it for the world and you guys that don't own one are about to get the biggest deal of your life. Power to weight is unmatched. All stock except for derestriction. You can find me any Sunday walking past my Ducati to get to my Aprilia. All I did was derestrict it and have it remapped at a totally unreliable dealership. Not even sure if it was done right. Not one problem so far that I didn't create. Runs like the day I bought it. If you cant afford to fix it , don't buy it. If you cant pay attention to maintenance, don't buy it. Ive had and been on ALOT of bikes, so far nothing really makes me day dream as much as this bike and Im not knocking other bikes neither. There's a bunch of great supermotos out there but you have to find yours. Don't mean to whore out other forums and honestly this is my home but when I need info I run to http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/index.php anything Allen , amauri , Alice Racing ... pff, its a long list of experts and real know it alls. Spend some time in there and you can see who knows whats up and their passion for the machines. Bunch of guys here also will be telling you what an absolute awe inspiring bike it is. Along with the haters. Listen to them all. In the end any bike is about what your heart wants.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
a day in the life ...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to hear, I guess its a good time to take advantage as a buyer. How is the bike on the street as far as gearing with only 5 gears? My husky is only a 5 speed, but close ratio and i have it geared as tall as i can get it 15/39. It tops out at 90 and really lacks and begs for another gear when i need to ride on a parkway or short highway jaunt at 65/70 mph inbetween riding areas. (This will not be a commuter bike for me btw, but it will be a street bike) I was playing around with the aprilia on gearing commander and it seems to be a whole lot better, specially with a 44 or 42 rear. (gearing commander says 129 mph top out with the 44 which is more than enough).

Nate

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I had a top speed recorded on the speedo at 129mph with stock gearing for the longest time. One day the speedo stopped working , to fix it I had to unhook the battery for ten minutes. 10 minutes later my high score was missing. It's at 114 right now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Top speed doesn't really concern me, it just gives me an idea of how the bike is going to be at say 70 ish mph. No complaints from you Aptard stock?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
http://twitpic.com/22980y

Stock is just fine altho at 6k mi this year I think I may take some advice and get a rebuild which will include an air filter, exhaust and whatever Allen suggests. Of course if I have the dough :)

Also Ive been changing my engine oil at 800mi and transmission at 1600mi.

Also .. http://slorider.com/Aprilia/

Not sure any of your other threads slipped passed .. lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Stock gearing i meant. I plan on leaving mine stock too other than possible sprocket change in the back.

Also, since u mentioned ur maint. schedule. Whats up with ppl saying its high on maintenance? I mean compared to maybe a DRZ or something I can see that, but geez I have to change my Husky's oil every 500 mi!!! (The newer and bigger husky's have longer schedules though, mine is an 04)

(Thanks for the manuals!)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Stock gearing i meant. I plan on leaving mine stock too other than possible sprocket change in the back.
All Ive done is derestrict, oil and gas, totally stock.

I chalk it all up to jealousy and fear , lmao!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
from what i found in my recent quest to replace my WRX, these bikes just got a bad rep from people that shouldn't have had the bike in the first place. The orange sealant issue is something that can be caught before any real damage is done. If fluids are checked before every ride then you should notice that the oil is getting "milky" and/or over full when the sealant starts to fail. This means the coolant is making it's way into the oil. I've heard of few that never did fail, but far more that did, which could be just because most people like to post about issues and not good stuff.. The guys that bash on these bikes and have given them a bad rep, well i actually thank them for the great deal that I just got haha. After many hours of thread searching and reading, I decided that it was safe to pick up an early SXV as long as i keep this common issue in mind. Bought a 2007 5.5 with just under 250 miles on it for $5500 today :thumbup: It's already been de-restricted and re-mapped. , but otherwise stock. I'll keep ya posted on how it does. So far I can say it's got AMAZING power and I'm VERY impressed!!! Yeah it'll prob need a re-seal at some point, but I'll still have far less than buying a new one into it.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Just regular maint on my 450 and it has over 3,000 commuting and weekend riding miles. :thumbup:

As for the inexpensive ones......The market was kind of flooded with "Parts Bikes" meaning no updates were done to them and the last 4 or 5 Vin #'s were ground off. Some dealers ran a special buy one SXV get a "Parts Bike" for next to nothing. That maybe what people are selling so check to see if it has a full Vin before you buy.

The other reason why so cheap.......people expect there to be little maint. When they find out what the oil change intervals ect are they want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
IIRC the speedo only reads to 129. anything more and your still doing 129:lol:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
IIRC the speedo only reads to 129. anything more and your still doing 129:lol:
Well shit!! Guess Ill get a gps and gopro video once the cold weather comes back and see how far out I'm getting. No way it's happening in the summer.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
hystericle

·
Registered
206 Posts
For whatever reason Aprilia's just don't hold their value very well. I had a really nice Tuono and sold it after a year, it depreciated from $11.5k new to $6500 used in one year. Very frustrating.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts