SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in thumpertalk, but no real answer...

Hey I'm a new rider w/ my first bike wr250x (brand new).

Today was the 2nd time I took the bike around the block and I noticed after I came back there was white smoke coming from under the right side of the frame right under the seat. I tried to located exactly, but that is as close as I could tell. Not sure if its from the motor or transmission. There would be puff's of smoke for 5sec or so and it continued for about 1min.

Since this is my first bike I don't know much about them. I assume this isn't typical... If not what am I doing wrong. I think I'm over revving the bike and killing it too much. Could this be the cause of smoke? I'm still not good at the clutch, so I tend to do this a lot. I hope I'm not hurting my bike too much.

Any tips/info would greatly help cuz I don't want to kill my bike to death just cuz I'm a new rider.

Also how long do you typically warm up the bike? I gave it like 2min. Maybe I should give it 4-5min?

Thanks.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I posted this in thumpertalk, but no real answer...

Hey I'm a new rider w/ my first bike wr250x (brand new).

Today was the 2nd time I took the bike around the block and I noticed after I came back there was white smoke coming from under the right side of the frame right under the seat. I tried to located exactly, but that is as close as I could tell. Not sure if its from the motor or transmission. There would be puff's of smoke for 5sec or so and it continued for about 1min.

Since this is my first bike I don't know much about them. I assume this isn't typical... If not what am I doing wrong. I think I'm over revving the bike and killing it too much. Could this be the cause of smoke? I'm still not good at the clutch, so I tend to do this a lot. I hope I'm not hurting my bike too much.

Any tips/info would greatly help cuz I don't want to kill my bike to death just cuz I'm a new rider.

Also how long do you typically warm up the bike? I gave it like 2min. Maybe I should give it 4-5min?

Thanks.
No, this is not typical. You shouldn't be seeing any kind of white smoke coming from anywhere, anytime. Take it back to the dealer and have them check it for you.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Also where is the vent tube for the radiator overflow? I haven't really looked, it may be dripping onto the head pipe.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no the bike has been kept inside and never seen rain/moisture yet.

Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh i forgot about the warm-up. lol j/k.

I called the dealer and they said it was a coating on the engine to protect it during shipping. However I'm wondering if any other owners saw the same thing? My bike had 0 miles when I got it. Possible less than 1 mile.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah it smells funny too. It's called cosmoline I beleive. I don't know if I spelt that right.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah it smells funny too. It's called cosmoline I beleive. I don't know if I spelt that right.

I thought they only put that sh!t on SKS's and ak's in the crates:hmmm:.

Anyway, my bike had .3 miles on it when I got it and I didn't have any smoke.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I thought they only put that sh!t on SKS's and ak's in the crates:hmmm:.

Anyway, my bike had .3 miles on it when I got it and I didn't have any smoke.
haha. Must have been assembled in the same factory

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I think I finally found that it is where the exhaust connects to the Engine right under the frame. It looks like there is a clamp where it connects, I think that is the spot smoke is coming from.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Oh that was what that "new bike smell" was... God, I couldn't wait for that to go away!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Funny Smell

This thread reminds me of something I wanted to ask you (Kocoma) since you're the only other person I know with a Leo Vince pipe. When I started my bike after putting the pipe on it smelled kind of minty. I thought this was kind of strange so I asked my wife to come out and smell it and she said the same thing. Did you experience this? Leave it to those Italians...even their exhaust pipes smell good:rolleyes:

·
Registered
239 Posts
This thread reminds me of something I wanted to ask you (Kocoma) since you're the only other person I know with a Leo Vince pipe. When I started my bike after putting the pipe on it smelled kind of minty. I thought this was kind of strange so I asked my wife to come out and smell it and she said the same thing. Did you experience this? Leave it to those Italians...even their exhaust pipes smell good:rolleyes:
I was not pleasured with this so called minty experience. :) But I was soo happy about the sound that my nose kinda took a break to let my ears absorb the great sound. lol:D

·
Registered
649 Posts
New bikes smell funny. I've PDI'd hundreds of them. My 600RR smelled like charred wood from a firepit for 500 miles. I replied on TT too....its NORMAL

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mint pleasure!

I was not pleasured with this so called minty experience.

Anything that makes my wife like my bike better works for me. Ditto on the sound...what an improvement. By the way I'm acclimated to the increased sound over stock now so I'm going to try it Kocoma style. Plug your ears! :eek:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just wanted to update...

I did have the shop take a look at it and they did ride it for 2 miles. So after that they did not see any smoke... go figure. I only rode it for 3 miles and saw smoke. Since then I have put on about 15 more miles and no smoke. So, the dealer is suspecting cosmoline also.

I hope it is, but in the meantime I will keep a lookout.

·
Registered
781 Posts
my spidey sence says its just anti-corrosive coating
no biggie
itll smoke off for a bit and go away.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts