SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for reliable advise on which tire is recommended to ride from in March 08 from California to Costa Rica on a Honda XR650L. I will have Supermoto 17 rims on it. It will be about 4000mls - 95% on road.
:hmmm:
I have experience with Pirelli MT60 Corsa, the rear is 160/60-17[/URL], but it lasts only about 2000mls on a KTM 640 Supermoto. I prefer some kind of similar profile in case of rain or bad roads and it should last the whole trip.

here is a picture from the MT60

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
There should be wealth of info over at ADVrider.com

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'd stick with the MT Corsas & do what I do on long rides & have a bike shop sent or orderd ahead & ready for you to have them put on, or you put on around the halfway point, because your going to have the wear problem with all the dualSport & SM tyres.

Mostly cruising highway roads, I've seen 2500 to 2800 out of the Corsa's & I'm not very tyre friendly:bike:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There should be wealth of info over at ADVrider.com
thanks Carlsoti, I posted there too, but not many do long trips through several different countries on a Supermoto. On the other side not many Supermoto riders do long traveling neither. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd stick with the MT Corsas & do what I do on long rides & have a bike shop sent or orderd ahead & ready for you to have them put on, or you put on around the halfway point, because your going to have the wear problem with all the dualSport & SM tyres.

Mostly cruising highway roads, I've seen 2500 to 2800 out of the Corsa's & I'm not very tyre friendly:bike:
Sending might be an option but chances are big that the tire never arrives to Guatemala or Honduras or might get lost. Maybe thats why nobody goes on a Supermoto, because there are no tires for trips like this..:lol:

Is there any tire 17" who might last 4000 mls ? :hmmm:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sending might be an option but chances are big that the tire never arrives to Guatemala or Honduras or might get lost. Maybe thats why nobody goes on a Supermoto, because there are no tires for trips like this..:lol:

Yeah, there's plenty of ST rubber out there that would last...but you'd be looking at sacrificing grip. Pilot roads, Z6's, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm doing a similar ride (though not all the way to Costa Rica, just Seattle to maybe Guatemala via Baja) on my Husky SM610 and I'm planning on getting a set of Avon Distanzias spooned on in LA.

They are supposed to last a long time on pavement and look to have some decent dirt road type tread. It's real tough finding decent 17" dirt tires,

·
Registered
524 Posts
I took my 640 adv to guatamala this past winter. Loaded with panniers.
I was running mt90s the rear was shot at the return point. about 6k later. the front still going. check out the avon gripsters I know they make a 17. My buddy on the trip had them on the KLR,lasted the whole trip. BRING 17" tubes very hard to find down there. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

1st. Si Habla espanol or no someone that does & find a shop down there or what I did & have them sent to a Hotel (a good one) that your staying at & put them on yourself.

2nd. I would butterfly twist a spare front (in case of an emergancy will work on the rear also) to take with you.

3rd. I would one of several different way's seal your rims to run tubless so quick tyre plugging is easier & faster (still bring a tube spare in case you loose a seal).

4th. as said B-4 if running tubes, I'd bring 2 spares along with a patch kit.

5th. have a great time:bike: you bastard :thumbup:

·
Registered
524 Posts
You could always haul you own. Easy to lock up. I traveled with mine for a good 1000mi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts