SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey SMJers, do you guys tend to go for MX HELMETS or FULL FACE? I have a full face atm, but I wanted to know which type of helmets people prefer for a SuMo :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mx

·
Registered
804 Posts
Both..... :D

In the summer Shoei V-MT for summer and Shoei X-Eleven for the colder weather.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I always wear full face but have gone from an Arai Quantum to an Icon Domain2 and now back to an Arai XD3. It's noisy but not nearly as much as the Icon was. The visor weight and look are what make it. Never had a visor before and it's a must now. So light and comfy I leave it on alot after riding until I figure out it's still on my head. Perfect helmet for me.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I go full face, just cause I don't like how dirt lids have so much wind noise/non aerodynamics to it.

But on the dirt I go MX style

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ride with a HJC CS-12N CYCLONE, I love how the vents pop in and out on push :p and the double D strap:) styling to me is nice too

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well-Worn is the Helmet Type I Wear

The brands of helmets that I prefer are Arai and Icon. I wear full face, street and hybrid lids. I only buy them when they are well worn.

I specifically look for helmets worn by guys who do not often wash their hair, and who roll straight out of bed and onto their motorcycles for all day rides on hot summer days.

I only buy helmets sold on eBay. Sweat stains and dirt are signs of a lid that is comfortable. Guys will wear their Arais and Icons way longer than any other brand before selling them.

When I receive a new used lid, I expect it to stink. I should be able to smell it before I get it out of its shipping box. It should stink up a room within minutes.

Getting in another guy's sweaty lid for the first time is an awesome experience. Every lid is different, but they always feel so good to wear, right out of the box. It's not another guy you're smelling when you get in his sweaty lid; it's the natural smell of the lid, itself, which is totally amazing to put on and stay in, all day.

+CS

·
Registered
5 Posts
It Really is True

It really is true, actually. Well-worn lids are much more comfortable than those that are brand new. I'm sure that you've found a sort-of sweet spot when you buy a new lid, and you break it in. For me, it takes about five years of wear before a helmet is comfortable.

When you get in a sweaty lid, it's the lid that smells, not some guy you bought it from. The previous owner is done with the gear. The state that it's in at that point is its own natural state. You're not smelling a guy when you get in it. You're smelling the natural smell of your new lid. What someone else has worn and has decided to sell is new for the new owner.

I prefer someone else to spend the first five years in a full face lid before I get in it for the first time. That's when a helmet is at its best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a fox mx helmet for when im offroad or im going for a quick low speed ride. Otherwise I use a shoei hornet. I didnt get the shoei until over a year after only having the mx helmet, and I wish I got it sooner.

The two biggest differences to me are how much you can see and dealing with wind noise. You can see way more through the full face helmet than you can through goggles. Also dont need to wear earplugs every time I ride because the shoei does a good job at dealing with wind noise. Before I got the shoei helmet I would have to wear earplugs with my fox helmet every time i went over like 40mph if I didnt want to only hear wind.

Bonus with the full face helmet is that it actually fits speakers in the helmet so I can listen to music and navigation instructions from my phone. Im pretty sure there are mx helmets you can have earbuds in or something but my fox helmet doesnt have the room for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts