SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need your help with new bike decision.

I have Husqvarna SM 510 R 2006 and I came to the conclusion that I need new bike. I don't have much time for riding (I have to much work) so I cannot ride or train on circuit and I use this bike for street riding only (I love wheelie and stoppie : ) ). So question is, which bike is best for wheelie training? Because on Husqvarna is not possible (for me of course not for others) do slow wheelies. It's not possible to hold front wheel sufficiently high for slow ride because throttle is too much sensitive and if I little throttle back front wheel fell down. I had Sherco trial bike (320 4T) before Husqvarna and on this bike it was very simple to do slow wheelies, circles and so on because Sherco has very "slow" (long) throttle.

So I am in situation when I don't know if will be better to chose enduro bike (my favourite is KTM 350 Freeride) or should I stay in supermoto and choose something like WR 250 X. But I'm not sure if this bike will not be little underpowered for me (on supermoto wheels). I am 190cm (6,23ft) and 95kg (210 lbs).

Any idea of new bike for me? : )

Thank you, Petr

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could try a progressive throttle on the Husky?
I didn't know that exists something like progressive throttle for Husky. Is it big difference?

But I decided to sell my Husky. I have it for about 4 years so it is time for change : ) Which bike is best for wheelie? I would like some bike which is best for slow wheelie. I know that everything is about my skill but why I cannot simplify it? : )

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
you have a great bike for stunting, all you need to do is turn the idle up. It takes out that initial jump and makes it smooth as butter for slow wheelies. Also, larger rear sprocket.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you have a great bike for stunting, all you need to do is turn the idle up. It takes out that initial jump and makes it smooth as butter for slow wheelies. Also, larger rear sprocket.
That is not what I wanted to hear : )))
But as I have said, it is time for new bike. I like to try something new. What about 2 stroke engine? Something like EXC 300 or TE 300?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That is not what I wanted to hear : )))
But as I have said, it is time for new bike. I like to try something new. What about 2 stroke engine? Something like EXC 300 or TE 300?
2 strokes work, its just a little scetchy if you blip the powerband in a circle. good think is, you don't need any crazy gearing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 strokes work, its just a little scetchy if you blip the powerband in a circle. good think is, you don't need any crazy gearing.
Ok, thank you for information.

And what about bike in my first post (WR250X)? Do you have some experience with this bike? Will be to litle and underpowered for me (6,23ft and 210 lbs)? Because I found one with very good price (almost half price like TE300) and looks like easy to use and with easy maintanance.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, thank you for information.

And what about bike in my first post (WR250X)? Do you have some experience with this bike? Will be to litle and underpowered for me (6,23ft and 210 lbs)? Because I found one with very good price (almost half price like TE300) and looks like easy to use and with easy maintanance.

Thanks.
Like you, I have gotten obsessed with wheelies.
I had a 690 SMCR last year, great bike. Bought a WR250X from a friend this winter (unseen and untried) because I wanted to begin to learn slow stuff (the 690 was to brutal for me for that).
I'm 190cm/85kg and have long legs, the WR felt tiny compared to the 690, I really gave it a chance and bought all the usual stuff for it but never felt comfortable on it, so I ended up selling it again and bought me a Husaberg FS570. Which I instantly fell in love with. I'm still far away from controlled slow wheelies but I have developed more in a month on this bike than I did in a season on the 690.
The only thing I will ever miss on the 570 is a metal subframe to put pegs/bar on when/if I ever get that good.

So i'm just saying, if you are tall, you should really try one first. Maybe it's not an issue for you but it was for me.

And if the Husky 510 is anything like the Berg 570 you have a great bike for learning! :)

I can recommend a G2 throttle tamer for any big thumper, makes a huge difference in throttle sensitivity, at least did it for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like you, I have gotten obsessed with wheelies.
I had a 690 SMCR last year, great bike. Bought a WR250X from a friend this winter (unseen and untried) because I wanted to begin to learn slow stuff (the 690 was to brutal for me for that).
I'm 190cm/85kg and have long legs, the WR felt tiny compared to the 690, I really gave it a chance and bought all the usual stuff for it but never felt comfortable on it, so I ended up selling it again and bought me a Husaberg FS570. Which I instantly fell in love with. I'm still far away from controlled slow wheelies but I have developed more in a month on this bike than I did in a season on the 690.
The only thing I will ever miss on the 570 is a metal subframe to put pegs/bar on when/if I ever get that good.

So i'm just saying, if you are tall, you should really try one first. Maybe it's not an issue for you but it was for me.

And if the Husky 510 is anything like the Berg 570 you have a great bike for learning! :)

I can recommend a G2 throttle tamer for any big thumper, makes a huge difference in throttle sensitivity, at least did it for me.
I have long legs too, so I will have same problem apparently :/ I will try it but I am afraid that it will not good bike for me :/

Husky was good bike. Very strong but maybe too much for me. It was very dificult to operate with throttle without twitching. FS570 has FI thats right?

Thank you for valuable post.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have long legs too, so I will have same problem apparently :/ I will try it but I am afraid that it will not good bike for me :/

Husky was good bike. Very strong but maybe too much for me. It was very dificult to operate with throttle without twitching. FS570 has FI thats right?

Thank you for valuable post.
Probably, but it's not like it's unrideable, just felt very small overall. BUT. This is just my opinion. I'm sure there are taller guys who ride this bike and have no problems. So, try first, decide later. :D

Yes, 570 has FI, way smoother than the 690 (which also has FI).
If I had to switch bike I'd consider a KTM 500 EXC or a Yamaha WR450F and convert it to SMC. Don't know which one is more reliable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably, but it's not like it's unrideable, just felt very small overall. BUT. This is just my opinion. I'm sure there are taller guys who ride this bike and have no problems. So, try first, decide later. :D

Yes, 570 has FI, way smoother than the 690 (which also has FI).
If I had to switch bike I'd consider a KTM 500 EXC or a Yamaha WR450F and convert it to SMC. Don't know which one is more reliable.
Yes, I understand you : )

I will try some bikes and after that I will post my decision : )

Thank you, Petr.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:D
No wait, looks like a trials bike?
Yes, it is trial bike : )) Gas Gas TXT PRO 280. My good friend was selling it so I could not refuse it : )

It's my first 2 stroke engine and I love it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great! I've always wanted to own a trial bike. The have a lot of bottom end for being 2-strokes right?
So no more supermoto for you then?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Trial bike is very different from supermoto. It is more about thinking than speed and heroism as with supermoto : ))

Yeah, but 2 stroke engine have enough power at bottom (because bike weight is only 67 kg) and very much power at top. So if you ride wheelie on this bike it is very easy to hold right position of front wheel because if you go slowly you don't have much power (so it is easy to operate with gas) and if you are going fast you have much more power to pick up front wheel if it goes down.

Supermoto is very cool, it is my favourite discipline but it isn't for me because I don't have enough of time and place where I can train. But I don't know nothing better than wheelie on supermoto in town : ) It is best feeling on motorcycle which I saw.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks!

If you want to try trial bike you can come to Czech Republic on holiday : ) Czech Republic is so close from Sweden : )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts