SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a noob so I'm after some guidance :D. I am currently riding a Yamaha WR125X, I want to get a bigger bike and I think I want to get something around 600cc.

I have looked at the KTM 690 SMC which seems like the sort of thing I am after, however I just want to be sure there is nothing else out there that i could be missing before I make the purchase?

Bikes that I have already ruled out:

Yamaha XT660 (too heavy/bulky)
Aprillia SXV 550 (I LOVE this bike, but too expensive and impractical for me)

Not sure about the other KTMs (SMC, LC4, etc) it has to be road-legal supermoto with electric start. It doesn't have to be KTM either - how do the Huskys compare to the KTMs?

I am also very tall, so lower rides like the DRZ 400 SM are out.

Any suggestions welcome! Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Grendel, I'm familiar with the Husky 630, it is a nice looking bike - does anyone have experience of this bike tough and can maybe compare it to the KTM 690 SMC?

I also heard that the Huskeys are maybe a bit tempramental and require more servicing?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Husqvarna's are Italian.
And they weigh less.
And they cost less.
And they should not be overlooked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Phennliegh, they certainly won't be overlooked :D How do they ride though? I suppose I am after an opinion of someone who has owned katooms and huskys :thumbup:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have a 2006 610; original seat sucked big time.
Otherwise the thing is great!
Never sat on a KTM so I couldn't compare.
It always has the power, no matter what gear you are in.
Suspension is sweet.
good luck

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Thanks Phennliegh, they certainly won't be overlooked :D How do they ride though? I suppose I am after an opinion of someone who has owned katooms and huskys :thumbup:
My Husky SM610 handles real good. It's a great street-tard and doesn't need a lot of service. I love mine. :thumbup:

Below is a video of a KTM rider following me up a tight twisty road.

·
Registered
995 Posts
TM's are Italian.
And they weigh less.
And they cost more.
And they should not be overlooked.

TM 660 all the way.:D

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you're considering the 690 SMC or Huskies then you're not that price sensitive.

Both of those bikes are fairly close to race trim. Strip of blinkers, tap up the lights and wire a few bolts and you can race them.

If you want a streetgoing motard, the 690 SM or Duke 690 are much better options. More road-focused and less race-focused.

·
Registered
976 Posts
BRP for the win!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'd never even heard of the TM 660 or the Honda XR650, so I'll do a bit more homework on these bikes. Nice one! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're considering the 690 SMC or Huskies then you're not that price sensitive.

Both of those bikes are fairly close to race trim. Strip of blinkers, tap up the lights and wire a few bolts and you can race them.

If you want a streetgoing motard, the 690 SM or Duke 690 are much better options. More road-focused and less race-focused.

Thanks gkanai, the bike is for the road first and foremost - I might do the odd track day but its main use is a commuter bike, for that reason it still sounds like the 690 SM or the Husky 630SM

The TM and the BRP are both kickstart which I want to try and avoid - stalling in London rush-hour would not be fun with a kickstart lol :D

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
ever look into the BMW g650x? I know people never really think of that bike since maybe a handful of people own them, or have ever even seen one, but they're out there, and they're powered by the rotax 650 that bmw has used for years. Long maintenance intervals (6k mile oil changes 12k mile valve checks) and there's f650 guys with 80+k miles on that motor. Even heard of a few guys running close to 100k miles.

Although I will say if maintenance is NOT an issue then KTM or Husky all the way..

·
Registered
217 Posts
From what I've seen in my time browsing, it usually seems like you can get the 630 for less than you'll pay for a sm510, if you're looking for used. I'd go for the 630 if I was looking to do serious on-road commuting, but I'll just be doing fun rides and jumping off/over as many things as I can find so I'll probably do better with the 450/510.

By the way, I thought Husky's were Swedish?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Mr F, I'll look at the BMW too....the only thing that puts me off is the 'looks' of that bike - it looks a bit weird to me, but I will see what else I can find about it.

...and upthemaiden, Husqvarna was indeed Swedish originally (from the late 1800s), but was sold to Cagiva (Italian motorcycle company) in 1987 and then sold to BMW in 2007, so you could argue that it's now German :D

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Thanks Mr F, I'll look at the BMW too....the only thing that puts me off is the 'looks' of that bike - it looks a bit weird to me, but I will see what else I can find about it.

...and upthemaiden, Husqvarna was indeed Swedish originally (from the late 1800s), but was sold to Cagiva (Italian motorcycle company) in 1987 and then sold to BMW in 2007, so you could argue that it's now German :D
I've always thought the headlight was pretty ugly... Hell let's not sugar coat it, it's downright hideous, but that's how BMW rolls I guess :lol:

·
Registered
237 Posts
BMW have always had an odd look to them and have only appealed to a certain refined crowed. The type of guy that wants the friggin machine to work how it is supposed to and to give a long worry free service life while providing top notch comfort and top level efficiency. They were never really high performance till recently and most motorcyclists look at racing when buying a bike, thus saving BMW for those looking for what you may call "real world intended use performance". A BMW would be great if you are looking at a bike for commuting. The odd headlight will no doubt cast a better light spread than any other motard out there. Not even a question. BMW have always made bad ass bikes without a question, they have just never had "sex appeal" you kinda had to love the ride and put a bag over it's head, but know it feels the best.

The KTM might be equal , say at 70-75 mph (you'll have to convert that to kph). Less MPG. Probably a little more sporty due to lighter wheels and a little more aggressive design. Probably less comfy.

My experianec with the Husky is on an 08 sm610. There were a few changes with the 630, but not a significantly different bike. I believe BMW has tamed it for a more decent ride at highways speeds (70-75mph) as that is what they are aiming this bike at. Supermoto Commuting, at the expense of high performance race. The sm610's sweet spot in stock gearing was in 6th at 50 mph. It is a very good bike for hitting tight corners one after another and isn't light years off a 450. A 2 into 1 exhaust will get the weight back down to where it was with the 610.

If I was in it for commuting , I would probably go with a BMW g650gs(was called F650gs before 08). Not even a motard, but a touring enduro that can have hard bags and pretty much every other accessory you could EVER imagine, and you could probably find that accessory used for that matter. Gets 65-75MPH easy, has wind protection, I belive sockets for heated clothes, heter grips ect. Pretty good commuter if you don't want multi cylinder or a race supermoto.

·
Registered
585 Posts
we're all fairly prone to recommend the bikes we own, so I may as well go right ahead.. :D

husaberg 570 man!

Its not 600cc but its gettin close! I commute every day on it. Love it! :bannana:

Ive also had a husky 510 and I prefer the berg over the husky. Husaberg also have the 650 sumo which Im sure you'd be able to find 2nd hand. Im sure heaps of smj members would recommend it too :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts