• what is a dirt/street bike?...I was born on a motard

Votes: 10 16.1%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where you from...???

No, I don't mean your birthplace. :headshake What I am trying to see, is how many of your are dirtbike riders vs. sportbike irders turned motarders.

Why...???

Because I'm a sportbike guy. I want a motard, but...but...but...but I don't know if I'd enjoy it. I'd have a "knee out" type of riding style. Not the "leg forward" kind of style, like most 'tard riders have.

Do I qualify, or should I stick with sportbikes...???

The thing that really draws me towards motards, is that they're pure. No extra bullshit. Everything has one purpose, to make you haul ass.

Let me know. :headscrat

·
Registered
443 Posts
Matt, welcome to the site.

I"m a pro licensed road racer, have been for a bunch of years. I've done pretty well at it. I never even rode dirtbikes til after I started racing, and that was at a relatively old age.

I got a supermoto to save on costs, mostly, but also because I knew I'd have a big learning curve to get good at it. That is what originally attracted me to this side of the sport. Now that I"ve run a couple times, I'm addicted. I"ve pretty much given up on roadracing for next season, except maybe a couple one-off endurance rides.

It's unbelievable how much fun it is to throw one of these 'tards around a track. I suk in the dirt, but I'll get there. I have to, it's part of my education. In short, get one, don't look back. You won't regret it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Oh yeah, the riding style thing......

You'll get the hang of that soon enough after trying. Sweepers just feel better with your knee out. Short, stop & go turns work better with foot out. It's easy to figure out.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
ive been riding dirtbikes for a solid 35 years and started roadbikes when i turned 16 along with dirt riding.supermoto sounded like the perfect thing to spice up my riding.started riding supermoto about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I rode sportbikes and started riding the motard for fun in the mountains.Now the motard is all I ride.I am having more fun then I have since I was a kid. :thumbup: What a blast. :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mountainrider said:
I rode sportbikes and started riding the motard for fun in the mountains.Now the motard is all I ride.I am having more fun then I have since I was a kid. :thumbup: What a blast. :clap: :clap:
I've seen your bike up around GA129, haven't I...??? :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Matt
I was in the same boat as you were, I have not been in the dirt for over 15 years and have been road racing for 3 and riding street bikes for 8. I tried a motard once and hooked. I started out with a street bike, KTM DUKE and than immediately wanted to race so I am working on doing the 2005 SMUSA season. I think you will make the switch and love it. One thing is for sure slow slide is right about it being cheaper to run a motard as far as racing goes. Goodluck with whatever you decide. I will tell you one thing, be prepared to ride something that is so nimble it is just amazing! They handle like no other sport bike I have ever been on.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've been riding street bikes (sportbikes only) for about 15 years. Raced at Willow Springs off and on in the 90s. Got my first dirt bike about 5 years ago. I love the pavement part of motard racing, but at least falling in the dirt is pretty safe, especially compared to Willow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fuckin eh. :thumbup:

Pretty much agree with what has already been said. I come from a roadrace background as well, and to this day I haven't been out in the dirt yet. :headshake I've got all the dirt stuff sitting in the garage, and have all the gear too...just haven't found anyone to take me out yet.

I rode a motard for the first time in 2002 at some point, I think. First time I ever saw a moto 'in action' was a CR500...it looked like a crazy amount of fun. I was riding a ZX-6R at the time, and a few months later Wild-fx let me take his moto out for a short rip. HOLY SHIT! :eek: I was fuckin blown away at how much fun this thing was to ride. I remember I rode it back-to-back with a (then brand new) '02 R1, and it wasn't even a comparison...like who the fuck would waste $15,000 on this piece of shit?

I rode a few more borrowed supermotos after that...DRZ-E, DRZ-S, CRF450, WR426, etc...then finally picked up one of my own about two months ago. And I still can't get over how much fun this thing is to ride...it's just crazy. No comparison whatsoever to a roadrace bike (unless you're on a long roadcourse or something).

Anyways, in short...I've got the same background as you, and trust me when I say you won't regret crossing over to SM. :thumbup:

Oh yeah, and with respect to the riding style question...I still ride my bike "knee down" style, rather than "leg out" style (see avatar). I'm gonna have to change that though...

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
This Dec 17th will be the 1st aniversary of buying my MZ Street Moto :clap: had a small bike when I was in grade 11 for a short while......ooooo looooong ago...... now I'm depressed :lol: :eek: :drunk: so the MZ didn't take my MC virginity but close enough for government work :twofinger

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
bdmmotard said:
right here: :thefinger

then there's iceracing, ooh or maybe your first bike was dragging around rollerderby skaters...where's that on the poll?
There's no ice in SD:thefinger :twofinger :hammer:

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have been around so long and riding so long that I have done just about everything there is to do on two wheels. Yes, I have done that too. (whink whink) Started out when I was about 5 on dirtbikes. I did some racing until I was about 16 then got into street riding. They didn't have much for sportbikes then, so we did lots of dragracing on the street with old KZ900 Kawasakis. Bought a 85' 600 Ninja and over the years graduated up to a 91' GSXR1100. Sold it to go roadracing. Roadraced only two stroke GP type bikes. They were just so much better than the 4-stroke (made for street) racebikes. I did tons of YSR racing as a way to keep sharp for the "big" bike stuff. Stayed with the YSR stuff all these years until getting a RS125 last year. Why on earth did I ever waste so many good years riding a YSR? The RS is by far the best bike to run at the faster Kart tracks around. I had dabbled in supermoto with my old CR500, still running it with the knobby tires. It wasn't until this past summer that I got a chance to ride a real set-up for racing Supermoto bike. It was a shit load of fun. I am not sure if it was the challenge of trying something different, or the fact that Supermoto has managed to combine something I used to love with something I love right now.

I immediately sold my RS and my old CR and bought a YZ426F and all the stuff to set it up for Supermoto. I haven't really gotten to the point where feel completely comfortable on the thing yet, but it is coming. I am still running the suspension stock, so knee dragging is pretty much out of the question. I haven't realy mastered the backing it in technique yet either, but I will. I don't know as I will ever be able to negociate the local track as fast as I did on my RS, but I will be out there trying.

I say go for the Supermoto thing. The bikes are just so versatile. If you like roadracing, you have that fix. If you like motocross, you have that, if you dirt-track, that element is involved also.

Here in the wasteland, as a form of cross training, I am going to get some ice tires and give that a go. There are also a few indoor dirt-track events, so I am going to get a spare set of forks and shock and get a pair of 19s and go dirt-tracking too. Now if I could just find a way to turn that 426 into a trials bike???

It is amazing how many guys on here come from roadracing. At the last Springfield supermoto race, dirt-track guys pretty much cleaned house. In the AMA, Ward and Henry, are both from motocross. X-Games Bostrom pretty much took them all to school. That is the cool thing about this sport, guys from completely different riding backgrounds all seem to have a equal chance to do well.

Later

Paul G

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Eureka

Matt W. said:
Do I qualify, or should I stick with sportbikes...???
The thing that really draws me towards motards, is that they're pure. No extra bullshit. Everything has one purpose, to make you haul ass.
Let me know. :headscrat
Matt,

I wholeheartedly agree about the purity aspect!
I believe you are in the right place.

About a year and a half ago I knew about motards but really didn't see the potential.

Then one of my best friends got into a heavy cycle accident with a car. This was on a group cycle run, and they took him away in a helicopter. Now a year and half later, he still has paralysis down his one leg and needs a walker or crutches to get around.

After that sobering experience, I never really questioned that I should hang it up as far as cycles were concerned, but after that accident I felt that even if I wouldn't give it up; I had to justify why I was doing it - not for others but to myself.

This is what I came up with.

First, I am an engineer and I wanted a bike that would be as much a project as something to be ridden. Something that would evolve over time that would be an expression of what I am passionate about.

Logically after that, I asked my self the question of what is a motorbike.
I wanted to get to the very essence of what a cycle is. And to distill to that essence, you need a purity of function - single cylinder (much like the old single racers like Aermacchi, BSA Goldies), tight compact, excellent handling, light weight and nothing extraneous

- none of that heavy chrome, luggage or that stuff - although they have thier place.

I wanted to get to the modern day equivalent of those pine board racers and those amazing do it all machines that come around every so often,
so that's why I am here.

And by the way, my short answer is that I am a street biker!

Keith

·
Registered
45 Posts
Chalk me up as another street biker gone mad... 'er motarded.

I agree what everyone's said. Buy it, you'll love it!!!

Cost: WAY cheaper than racing a sportbike, and if you CRASH!, usually you do little to no damage to the bike (hence: free) but drop your CBRGSXRZXR1 in the parking lot and it'll cost you thousands!

As for riding style, I'm racing a KTM520 and dragging knee. I'm still having trouble finding the comfort of the leg out style, so I've been kind'a backing it in, while hanging off the inside.

I believe Motard being new (for the second time) here to the U.S. and our style tracks, there is no one way to do things. It's evolving, changing and what works for one rider may not work for another.

Remember the "discipline" is Multi-discipline. So some corners are better to get the knee down, while others may be better for flat track style, and other sections better suited to other styles.

I think most of us (meaning not the full factory sponsored riders) are also trying to figure out which products work too. Plus new products are being developed daily.

That's the cool thing. It's new and improved!

So... bite the bullet, go out and ride one, you wont look back with any other thought than "Why didn't I do this sooner".

But what do I know... I can be dillusional LOL

I now return you to your regularly scheduled reality.

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

·
Registered
149 Posts
I grew up riding dirtbikes. Rode an R6 during college and then bought my CBR as soon as I got of college. Yes, I'm a young gun. I rode my buddy's DRZ, watched the SM races at a local track and was automatically hooked, hence the lighweight tard I just completed. I wanted to race novice sportbikes but started outlining the finances and realized that you can move up much faster riding SM than sportbikes. Don't get me wrong I love track days at Road Atlanta, Barber and Putnam. Everything I just explained, I guess, makes me rooted in the dirt.

QuiK :hammer:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts