SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More trackday action with a KTM 690 Enduro and 690 SMC. Not too happy with the stock SMC front brake right now; Galfer disc on the way.

·
Registered
684 Posts
That sucks.

I had to pull off the track the other week due to brake issues. I had made an adjustment that took the free play set screw in too far and blocked the return port. As a result when the fluid heated and expanded it could return to the res.. causing more rotor skim... more heat and more expansion. Lucky for me I noticed it in the straight where the bike felt like it was loosing power and got off. If I'd made it to a braking area it could well have locked.

I did have a rear lock up years back when a pad hung and was skimming the rotor, superheating things. Lucky for me I didn't touch the rear brake until I was off the road and almost stopped. Soon as the pads made that additional bit of contact it locked and shortly there after blew the steel line from the banjo end at the caliper.

So anything causing the pads to skim too much?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Recovery! Hope everyone is ok!
Thanks man, but no easy recovery on this one. Type 5 AC shoulder seperation and a broken finger with TI hardware in it now - crash happened at the end of the day,

09 SMC with less then 900 miles, bought new this year - still not positive why the caliper locked. In other words, not sure if the fluid boiled preventing the pistons from retracting or what. All I know is I feathered the lever to slow down and the wheel locked solid at about 70 mph.

What I do know is I have zero faith in the front brakes now. Swapping out to Galfer disc/Vesrah RJL pads/RBF 600 fluid and will go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts