SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles were on the bike when you did the first oil change?
What oil did you use?
Did you do it yourself, or bring it to someone else?

I haven't done mine yet, but I plan to change it sometime this weekend or early next week after I get my next pay check and the oil filters. So I estimate the bike will have between 350 and 400 miles. A little later than I wanted to do it, but I actually don't have the money this week to buy the oil! LOL. I'll be using KTM's recommendation of Motorex Cross Power 4T 10W/60. And I hope to attempt my first oil change on my new KTM by myself. Hopefully it's not as messy as some claim.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I did mine just the other day with around 150 miles on it. It is a little messy (mainly the pipe side filter cover) but very easy and straight forward. You should definitly do it yourself and save the money, it's very simple. I used the Moterex 10/60 and KTM filters. Also be sure to pull the 2 screens and clean them, mine had some particulate in both, not bad but a little.

·
Registered
569 Posts
isn't there two oil filters, a short one and a long one? I only have 9 miles so far since i have yet to register it, but i noticed the two filters in the parts manual, but didn't pay attention to that in the owners manual yet, have to go back and look, i remember the screens and two of those

·
Registered
728 Posts
yes there are two filters and two screens. just make sure to skim through that section in the owners manual before doing it.

i changed my oil at 300 miles. i will do it again around 1500 miles or so most likely. then every 3k from there on.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
It sucks that it costs $50 to do an oil change on these bikes.

W/ 200 miles on mine I can tell it runs rougher than it did at first and it shifts worse too. I think it needs an oil change badly so I'm waiting for my Cross power to come in before I ride anymore.

·
Registered
569 Posts
haven't done mine yet, the filters have shipped from ktmparts, i ordered 5 each of the short and long, but they haven't shipped my 10W-60 oil yet, but i only have 35 miles on the bike so far, would like to change around 150 miles or so

talking to my friend from KTM, the machine gets somewhat broken in at the factory, after programming the ECU, they start the machine and let it sit at idle for 15 minutes to calibrate, then they take it over and put it on the dyno and run the numbers, the whole time with a breakin oil in it, when they are done with it, and it gets run for awhile, they drain the oil and put in the oil it gets shipped with, so i'm not really concerned about crap being in from assembly like i do on other machines

·
Registered
728 Posts
haven't done mine yet, the filters have shipped from ktmparts, i ordered 5 each of the short and long, but they haven't shipped my 10W-60 oil yet, but i only have 35 miles on the bike so far, would like to change around 150 miles or so

talking to my friend from KTM, the machine gets somewhat broken in at the factory, after programming the ECU, they start the machine and let it sit at idle for 15 minutes to calibrate, then they take it over and put it on the dyno and run the numbers, the whole time with a breakin oil in it, when they are done with it, and it gets run for awhile, they drain the oil and put in the oil it gets shipped with, so i'm not really concerned about crap being in from assembly like i do on other machines
i didn't know all that. its good to know.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My question is: Does the bike come w/ a different oil for the break-in that we should NOT remove for a full 600 miles because once we put standard synthetic in it it's not going to continue to break-in very well.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
My question is: Does the bike come w/ a different oil for the break-in that we should NOT remove for a full 600 miles because once we put standard synthetic in it it's not going to continue to break-in very well.
the ring seal part of 'breakin' is done within the first few seconds of operation.. in otherwords, the factory did it.

on a modern engine like this one, you can change the oil whenever you want..

·
Registered
569 Posts
no the bike doesn't come with break-in oil, it comes with I believe the Motorex 10W-60

I agree some with what MrDude says, its not as crucial on break-in of the KTMs as they get run at the factory, but seating the rings takes much more than the first few seconds, as I've experienced many times in the past on building motors for racing, both motorcycle two strokes and four strokes, and when i was racing jet ski's.....

the poor tolerances of the past are gone, seating the rings is the main thing now and because of the close tolerances in the cylinders, pistons, rings, etc., it takes some pressure to get them to seat right, thats why i don't hold back on break-in, i don't run it to redline right away, but i do keep the rpms up and varying, the pressure forces the rings out and makes for a good seat and break-in....

·
Registered
720 Posts
600 miles - first service - dealership
when I pick up the bike I ask about the oil they used. The service manager shows me some torco 15w40 oil and goes on to tell me that they always use this oil for LC4 and they will stand behind it even if something bad happens.
I made tham put what kind of oil they used on the service sheet.

400 miles later the bike rides the same, no problems.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got around to changing the oil today. It had a little over 500 miles on it. It felt like it needed an oil change, but after the change, I didn't notice anything too much smoother really. The screens were pretty dirty with metal and junk...so I cleaned them the best I could (what did you guys do to clean them?) I just used a paper towel, my finger, and some compressed air. I love how the oil drips down the engine casing when you pull the filters out. lol

Took some time to change the oil, but it was fairly easy. I used the KTM filters and the recommended Motorex Crosspower 4T 10W/60.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I changed my oil as well over the weekend. I couldn't really tell if it was any smoother. It's 103 degrees in Central TX right now so I'm barely riding anyways.

To clean the mesh filters I sprayed them w/ a can of contact cleaner. It blew all the junk off and it evaporates instantly leaving no residue.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I changed my oil as well over the weekend. I couldn't really tell if it was any smoother. It's 103 degrees in Central TX right now so I'm barely riding anyways.

To clean the mesh filters I sprayed them w/ a can of contact cleaner. It blew all the junk off and it evaporates instantly leaving no residue.
yup, i did the same except with brake cleaner instead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts