SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a used sumo and it's got a set of BEHR wheels on it but I've noticed no wheel weights to balance them. I owned alot of sport bikes and the wheels were always balanced. Is it common partice to not balance sumo wheels and tires? :hmmm:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The bike shop has balanced mine, wrapping weight strips around the spoke nipples, rather than the weight tape.

On the other hand, when tires were swapped at the track, the set wasn't balanced, and they seem to be fine.

I wouldn't worry about it. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike shop has balanced mine, wrapping weight strips around the spoke nipples, rather than the weight tape.

On the other hand, when tires were swapped at the track, the set wasn't balanced, and they seem to be fine.

I wouldn't worry about it. :)
Thanks for the input. I haven't had it up to speed as of yet. Which manufacturer did you go with at the track?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Oh, this was on my DRZ. Team DDR offered up some Shinko Slicks, as I had arrived on Maxxis Rains, which I use for street duty.

We mounted them, ran the race, and I later grooved them and have been using them unbalanced for street / track duty.

So far, so good. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, this was on my DRZ. Team DDR offered up some Shinko Slicks, as I had arrived on Maxxis Rains, which I use for street duty.

We mounted them, ran the race, and I later grooved them and have been using them unbalanced for street / track duty.

So far, so good. :D
Cool thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Pretty much convinced balancing is a waste of time on a supermoto. I had ONE set changed last year by a shop, and they didn't even have to change any weight around despite charging me $40 for balancing. I mount all my tires now, and don't even think about balancing. If it doesn't vibrate at 95-100mph, I have no problems with it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Balancing tires is important --
Its little things that add up to a Fast smooth machine-

do a search on wear patterns on car tires --
you will see that out of balance wheels can cause -
and car tires are Heavy --

You can static balance tires and its good to about 35mph-
Spin balancing is Much better tho for higher speeds -

when mounting tires the Colored Dot (Blue- Red or Yellow) on the tire is to be located
at the valve stem --

I was told in Honda school that One Ounce of off balance in a wheel static state
will cause at 100mph 14 pounds of imbalance -- Jay--

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after finally moving back to San Diego and getting to strech the legs on my sumo with wheel weights and without, I can say this with confidence you should weight your wheels. At speed there is most definate alot of excess vibration coming from up front. I didn't really notice any difference on the rear of the bike.

·
6,598 Posts
Well after finally moving back to San Diego and getting to strech the legs on my sumo with wheel weights and without, I can say this with confidence you should weight your wheels.
unless you balance your wheels and have a go again you can't really know for sure. my gut tells me even if you do balance you won't feel any difference.

I never balanced a supermoto wheel in my life. never felt the need to, not on the street, not on the track where higher speeds are a given and stability is must.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Im going with dynabeads in mine this saturday. They seem to get great reviews.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts