SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for a supermoto bike for commuting, fun, and just general riding. How are the huskys with maintence? Is this a bike that would require frequent oil changes/etc?? Looking for a fun bike with low maintence, but want something other than the DRZ.... any help appreciated!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The 510 is pretty much a race bike with lights. If you want a commuter with lower maintenance, look at the 610. All these guys absolutely love theirs.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The 510 is a pretty solid bike from what I've seen. Certainly not as long term reliable as the DRZ but then it's got a lot more performance and it IS a race bike so you have to go into owning one with your eyes open to that fact.

The oil capacity is only 1.3 liters so it requires fairly regular and short term oil changes. I don't think I'd want to go more than 300 to 400 miles on that one little cup full. Even then I'd change it when the color darkens appreciably. I'm guessing that would occur at around 300 to 400 miles. Then do the filter ever third change. The issue being that it's more important to keep good oil in there since with that small a quantity the engine is going to beat it up faster.

Also if the new street legal ones don't come with a fan then I'd go for the 610 just for that reason. Nothing worse than boiling over in traffic. And certainly the early race only models do not have a fan.

On a positive note the engine is a complete breeze to work on. All the stuff you need to do for normal maintanence is a snap. Even the valve shims are only a 30 second job to swap. Compare that to some other bikes where you often need to lift the cam to get to the shims under the buckets.

·
Registered
716 Posts
New 510's are more everyday friendly than the 07-older bikes. Theyve got a real live ignition key now, theyve got cooling fans BUT they still are essentially race level bikes compared to the DRZ, and they require closer to race levels of maintenance than the DRZ does. For maintenance requirements that are more manageable look to the Husky 610, KTM 690, XR600 or XR650R, or the WR250X

·
Registered
93 Posts
I love my 510. Ride it almost daily. I change the oil every 100-300 miles depending on the riding. 100 miles of track use and its dark. 300 miles of commuting and it still looks good. I just change it often. Oil change only takes 15min or less start to finish. Filter every other to every third. Valve check every 1000 miles, super easy. So far at about 2500 miles with no problems

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good info..thanks all. What about the KTM 625 SCM??? I dont think i can go new right now, so the 690 might not be an option at this point.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yeah all the LC4's belong on that list....I forgot them because they make my package go numb like its their job. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I love my 510. Ride it almost daily. I change the oil every 100-300 miles depending on the riding. 100 miles of track use and its dark. 300 miles of commuting and it still looks good. I just change it often. Oil change only takes 15min or less start to finish. Filter every other to every third. Valve check every 1000 miles, super easy. So far at about 2500 miles with no problems
Pretty much same maintenance what I do on my 510. Everybody is saying 510's too much maintenance BUT i must say it is worth every minute spent on maintenance. ABSOLUTELY love my 510.....:rock:

Hockeynut ha? Do you play?

·
Registered
181 Posts
it might be because i don't commute on my 510 that i find the maintenance to be a non-issue. everyone looks at my like i'm crazy when i say i check my valves every other oil change and those are at about 400 miles. but it's not a sportbike, it feels like it takes more time for me to get the valve cover off than to the valve adjustment itself.

i thought hard about the 610 for the maintenance, but i'm so glad i went the 510 route. i don't see myself selling it until the rod goes through the cases, or i'm convinced the aprilia motard can stay together.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm with you R6 Tony, the 510 will be my "light, short distance" street motard, the KTM SMC my "longer distance" rider, until Aprilia fixes the starter issue. It seems the 08s have the oil problem fixed, but if you believe the forums some folks have still had starter problems.

I tried the SXV, it's an animal, hoping the 510 is a little more so than my SMC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts