SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I want to be able to clutch up wheelies at higher speeds but I'm having a bit of trouble. I see all of these boys online clutching up at what seems like 50 mph or sometimes more.

I'm not the best at wheelies, and my bike is geared down like mad, but I still can't seem to get it up over 30 mph. I've got an XR650R with 15/40 gearing. If I'm in second, it'll clutch up fine but third isn't happening.

So, I've got a few questions.

What kind of speeds can you clutch up at? I'm talking just sitting in the seat. No standing up and bouncing the balls off it. Maybe include that too, but make it clear what you have to do.

What kind of bike do you have and what gearing are you running? What is your top speed with that gearing?

If I change my gearing, what will happen? So, right now I can clutch up in 2nd at about 30. If I change my gearing down so I can clutch up in 3rd... since 3rd will now be lower, will I still just be clutching up at 30? Or will I be able to clutch up at higher speeds?

I see all these boys online talking about how much of a wheelie monster the XR is and I understand I have stupid tall gearing on mine, I bought it that way and I'm changing it soon, but still. I thought I should have been able to get it up in 3rd.

Lastly, how do bikes like the WR450 and KTM 500 EXC compare to the XR? I hear they're a lot more 'raw' and snappy or something and so can clutch up at higher speeds. What do you guys think? Someone told me they could wheelie their 500 at 100 mph which I found hard to believe.

Cheers!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Technique.

I had a Husaberg FS550e, my buddy who owned it before me could clutch up wheelies in 5th gear at 60+ MPH with ease... me on the other hand, barely get the wheel off the ground in third.

The Berg could do 200km/h... 55hp, 240~ lbs.

In comparison, on my Beta XTrainer, I can bounce on the front a bit and tug the bars up with WOT, in 5th gear, and the front comes up a bit and quite easy.... and that bike only has 32hp and barely makes it past 70mph top speed.

100mph wheelie on a 500 EXC, I could see that happening, remember, you're also fighting wind too... and the rad shrouds are like sails in the wind.

I wish I had the time to ride more and practice wheelies in a safe spot, but I just don't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I hear what you're saying with the technique part.

I'm definitely not the best there is at wheelies, but I feel like I'm pretty competent. I can get it up to balance point no worries and ride it out a bit.

I don't know what else I should be doing though, I can't even give it more throttle. If I'm in 3rd cruising and clutch in, WOT and dump it, it'll unload the front end and almost come up, but it just doesn't have enough to do so.

I don't really want to have to faff around with all of this braking to dive the front end and pull up and stuff, but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes. Everyone else just makes it seem pretty effortless. I'm always watching BeRad's videos and he's like wheeling out of twisty corners where he's going pretty fast and I'm thinking, shit, I'd have to be doing 20 on that corner exit for me to be able to get that up there, and it's not like the XR is a slouch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I could clutch up stand ups on the seat on my bone stock drz400s in 5th gear at 55mph. On the other hand I can't clutch my zx6r up at any speed over 40mph.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
I think the "body English" is a very important factor.
If you push down a little, then assist the forks back (pulling) and at exactly the correct time apply torque to the back wheel, the front wheel comes up much easier than power alone. Conversely, if the timing of the push/pull is off, it hinders the wheelie.

An uphill, and/or bump is invaluable as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the "body English" is a very important factor.
If you push down a little, then assist the forks back (pulling) and at exactly the correct time apply torque to the back wheel, the front wheel comes up much easier than power alone. Conversely, if the timing of the push/pull is off, it hinders the wheelie.

An uphill, and/or bump is invaluable as well.
I had no idea it made that much of a difference. I'm kinda awkward with my timing, and I've never really stuck at it enough to practice.

I remember when I was just learning and I noticed how much of a difference it made just sliding back in the seat an inch or two, will this be as big a difference?

What are your KTMs like? What kinda speeds can you clutch them up at just from the seat?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts