SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All forum pertaining to this topic are old as hell now. Just wondering what everyone's running nowadays? I'm in Florida, others with 250x and programmer please chime in.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Along with your settings, please list other mods done (example: how aggressive is your airbox mod, etc.).
Thanks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Woah forgot about this one! My settings forever have been (3,5,1.5,8,6,4) Recently changed too (3,5.5,1.5,8,5,4) went on short ride with these and felt pretty good. Gotta see if it cuts out around 50-60 with taking the 5th mode down to 5. (Cut out on occasion when I ran with 4 in mode 5. Increased to six and no problem. See what 5 does now.. Think I might take mode 3 down to a 1 everyone seems to run at .5ish so ill meetin middle with 1 mabey see how that feels. I want the most power out of her while remaing somewhat smooth...
Other mods are as follows:
-top of air box removed leaving only small tab to keep tilt sensor attached.
-exup removed
-AIS removed
-cleaned up entrance and exit about 6" in on both sides of stock header with a dermal /diy port and polish ;)
-k&n air filter
-FMF powercore 4 w/ spark arrestor screen in but cut tip off screen so it has about a 1.5" give or take opening. Sounds great. Met in middle of with and without arrestor sound and feel. I like.
-FMF power programmer
-run redline 10w40 syn oil. Changed more than needed probaly...
-reduced weight as much as possible. Removing crap and replacing what I did need with lighter said part...
-run 93 oct
-12/42 gearing. Not sure what's next. Tried current, 13/42, 13/47,12/47(nuts)lol fun but no top end, I think next setup is going to be 13/45.
-I weigh 150 soaking wet with boots on. 6'3". We are a good pair.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Try running regular 87, I've used that and have 10k+ miles w/o an issue.
I have the EJK Gen 3.5 so my #'s are different and I haven't found anyone else's numbers running Gen 3.5 for a WR250X.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Woah forgot about this one! My settings forever have been (3,5,1.5,8,6,4) Recently changed too (3,5.5,1.5,8,5,4) went on short ride with these and felt pretty good. Gotta see if it cuts out around 50-60 with taking the 5th mode down to 5. (Cut out on occasion when I ran with 4 in mode 5. Increased to six and no problem. See what 5 does now.. Think I might take mode 3 down to a 1 everyone seems to run at .5ish so ill meetin middle with 1 mabey see how that feels. I want the most power out of her while remaing somewhat smooth...
Other mods are as follows:
-top of air box removed leaving only small tab to keep tilt sensor attached.
-exup removed
-AIS removed
-cleaned up entrance and exit about 6" in on both sides of stock header with a dermal /diy port and polish ;)
-k&n air filter
-FMF powercore 4 w/ spark arrestor screen in but cut tip off screen so it has about a 1.5" give or take opening. Sounds great. Met in middle of with and without arrestor sound and feel. I like.
-FMF power programmer
-run redline 10w40 syn oil. Changed more than needed probaly...
-reduced weight as much as possible. Removing crap and replacing what I did need with lighter said part...
-run 93 oct
-12/42 gearing. Not sure what's next. Tried current, 13/42, 13/47,12/47(nuts)lol fun but no top end, I think next setup is going to be 13/45.
-I weigh 150 soaking wet with boots on. 6'3". We are a good pair.
I have 13/45 and it is a nice compromise. I top out in the high 80s mph on a good day. I am 6'2" and weigh maybe 5 to 10 lbs less than you, but I agree the bike is a nice fit.

I haven't checked my settings in a while (too f-ing cold out) but for warm weather riding, I liked 3-4-0.5-8-6-4.5 or something around there. When it is really cold out (20s - 40s) I lower the first two numbers to 2-3 or even lower. I am less concerned about wild acceleration (haha), and it lowers the smell of exhaust on my clothes and backpack.

I have the airbox top cut mostly open, K&N filter, Q4 exhaust, no AIS or anything, Powerbomb header.

As for gas, I tried 87 and 91 and 93, and don't notice any difference. I figured for the couple cents difference for a fill up, I might as well run the premium stuff, even though it is debatable with the mixing pumps whether I am actually getting any 93 octane fuel anyway. :hmmm:

Do you run handlebar risers? I am considering getting some. I think it might make it more comfy for us taller riders.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As for gas, I tried 87 and 91 and 93, and don't notice any difference. I figured for the couple cents difference for a fill up, I might as well run the premium stuff, even though it is debatable with the mixing pumps whether I am actually getting any 93 octane fuel anyway. :hmmm:

Do you run handlebar risers? I am considering getting some. I think it might make it more comfy for us taller riders.
Lower octane = more power. You make the most power when running off of the lowest octane rated fuel w/o causing detonation.
I am 6' and have some YZ high bend bars with no risers however, they probably would make it more ergonomic.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the risers do help with the reach. I can pretty much stand straight up and got a good grip still.

Tho I think they do cause a weak link...

I had a small highside a while ago in the grass and it bent the bolts on the stock risers. I think the added length acted like a lever would and made easier to bend.... The solid unit that mounts to both riser mount is defiantly in my eyes wayyyy better. But the height added is very welcome yes.

Seriously 87 really does produce more power??? Like really really. No joke not bsing ?

I always thought it was not good to just change up your gas like that

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes the risers do help with the reach. I can pretty much stand straight up and got a good grip still.

Tho I think they do cause a weak link...

I had a small highside a while ago in the grass and it bent the bolts on the stock risers. I think the added length acted like a lever would and made easier to bend.... The solid unit that mounts to both riser mount is defiantly in my eyes wayyyy better. But the height added is very welcome yes.

Seriously 87 really does produce more power??? Like really really. No joke not bsing ?

I always thought it was not good to just change up your gas like that
It's a bit complicated. Theoretically, 87 has a higher energy density, so all things being equal it may make more power for a given engine. But you will get pre-detonation (where the fuel explodes before the spark plug sparks) in higher compression situations. So when an engine is designed with a high compression ratio (like the WR) to make more torque, you need to run higher octane to prevent the detonation. There is a trade-off. The higher compression yields more gains than you lose with the higher octane.

Bottom line is that Yamaha recommends 91 octane minimum. Can you run 87? Sure, been there, done that, no major problems. But is there a reason Yamaha says 91? Probably. The compression ratio isn't THAT high (11.8:1) but I will spend the extra $0.50 on a fill-up if Yamaha says it is better for the bike.

My car has a higher compression ratio (12.0:1) and calls for 87 octane, but has some fancy sensors and variable valve timing and variable ignition and all that to compensate.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I finally got to go for an easy ride today with the new mods. :thumbup:

FMF Programmer
FMF PowerBomb
FMF Q4
Ultimate Airbox Mod
K&N

Programmer settings as per HighFive (3-5-0.5-8-4-4)

Temp today 11c / 52f

Bike was hesitating (bogging?) when I rolled on the throttle (not WOT).

Going to try changing #5 to a value of 6 instead of 4 as I've heard that helps....

I should add that I still had half a tank of fuel from last November and just topped it up with new fuel at the beginning of the ride (probably didn't help ...), and it was REALLY windy out today.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
After a lot of reading, I decided to try out 3-4-0.5-8-6-4 (from 3-5-0.5-8-4-4).

I lowered #2 down to 4 instead of 5
I raised #5 up to 6 instead of 4

Hopefully I can get out on Wednesday for a ride and see how it rides with these new settings....

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I rode today. Finally....

Bike felt good, but twice the power just cut. WTF?

Gotta mess with the settings again. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I rode today. Finally....

Bike felt good, but twice the power just cut. WTF?

Gotta mess with the settings again. :rolleyes:
Some say... it's that 5th number. They say to make it 6 or higher. Yours is 6, mine is 6, and I still get occasional cut-outs. I just release the throttle for a moment and it seems to fix itself. I think there is a defect in the FMF programmer.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Hmmm...You too? Ok, I thought it was odd, but the power was back after releasing the throttle so not a big deal, but I will try to fix it if possible.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The 5th number controls where the acceleration mode kicks in. I am now having a problem with it stumbling when I first crack the throttle to accelerate, and I want to try lowering that number to see if it helps, but I don't want to make the cut-out worse.

Maybe it is time for me to save my pennies and go with the PC-V. But most of the time the FMF works fine. Might also be time for a new spark plug, or to mess with the CO settings again. Who knows. Too much to play with.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
So I've been running 3-4-0.5-8-6-4 for a couple weeks now and I have noticed something.

Fuel economy is HALF of what it was before the mods. Literally half.
I used to get about 190-200 km's per tank before the light would come on and now I'm only getting 95-100 km's.
I knew it would burn more fuel, but holy crap !!!!

Anyone else getting this kind of fuel "economy" ?

Not the end of the world, but it does mean I can't go far without gassing up at every gas station I see...

·
Registered
477 Posts
I get about 56-58 mpg, which is lower than I think it could be for a 250, but even the stock version isn't too much higher, I didn't think. My light comes on around 80 miles (130 km).

I think the mods might have an affect on your throttle hand also...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Throttle hand isn't helping, and I'm also doing smaller rides (to work and back) so that has an impact too.

I changed my settings from 3-4-0.5-8-6-4 to 2-3-0.5-8-6-4 (first 2 numbers are 1 lower now) and the performance has gone up.

With the above settings...

Bogging is gone now. :thumbup:
Front lifts up at stops now. :thumbup:
Fuel light still turns on around the 100km mark. :rolleyes2:
My face when I ride ---> :D

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
When it's hot and humid out, do you guys add more fuel, or keep your settings the same?

·
Registered
477 Posts
When it's hot and humid out, do you guys add more fuel, or keep your settings the same?
I add a bit more when the temperatures go up and find it a bit snappier. I only adjust the first two numbers, and increase by maybe 0.5 to 1. In the winter time, I lower the numbers to reduce the smell of the exhaust all over me. I also increased the C0 setting on the stock ecu up a little bit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts