SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still looking for my first SM. **I really want to buy new and originally had my heart set on a DRZ400SM. **I am having a hard time now finding a new one in Eastern PA and am now starting to look at the WRX and feeling that may be a good option. **Anyway, I found a new left over 2009 WR250X locally, what would be a good price for this bike?

I think they are asking $5,999, which seems high to me, but I really don't know. **Also, any significant differences between the 2009 and 2011?

Last question, is Yamaha not releasing this bike again in 2012? **I hate to wait and end up like the DRZ400SM, where they are a thing of the past and I missed out!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
dont waste a few grand buying new cuz thats all your doing, all years are the same 08-11 and 08s you can find for under 4 90s you can find for 4500 and 10s shouldnt be over 5 really. 5995 is insane for an 09 new or not its a giant waste of money. i wouldnt bother with the drz the wr is hands down 1000 times better the drz is a dinosaur. find a used one with an exhaust or something already on it so your not spending crazy money getting it halfway setup.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
For a "first bike" I'd never recommend new. Not ever.

Go used. Used does not always mean abused.

That being said - I'd not be keen to buy a heavily modified bike either. I'd stay away from bikes that have been turbo'd or had big-bore kits installed.

A pipe and efi programmer already on bike would not constitute "heavily modified".

Never understood the aversion to used stuff either.

A new bike depreciates almost $1000 the second you drive it off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
+1 you could buy it for 5995 ride it once and hate it and youd have to sell it for 4500-5. the wr250x is so reliable i dont think many guys can actual abuse them, guys who do trackdays or kart track racing would be the most abuse youd find probly. even stunted they dont get the abuse that racing them would as far as on the gearbox and so on

·
Registered
57 Posts
I chose to buy a new '09 this year from a local dealer. They wanted almost as much as an '11, but I was easily able to get them down to 6 grand out the door (including taxes, etc). Yeah, its pricey..but my only choice was to finance, and I got my monthly payment where I wanted it. If financing is your only option, then I wouldn't say 6 grand is far off. Just keep in mind if that sticker price doesn't include the other crap they put in (uncrating, mechanics fee for assembly) plus the licensing and tax..it will go up quite a bit. From what I gathered when I researched before buying mine, this bike is notoriously expensive brand new compared to other bikes in its class.

As someone else said, if this is your first bike (and you don't need to finance), getting a used one with/without a few mods might be a better choice. You will love the WRX.. I too had my heart set on trying to find a DRZ sumo, and after much research and comparison, am completely happy with sticking to the WRX.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
if you can finance 6 grand theres no reason you shouldnt be able to get a bank loan for 4-5 for a used one and much better interest unless you dont have the funds to buy one at all then finance companies will give it to you so they can fuck you in the longrun. thats how all the yamaha, kawi, honda etc financing is they give stupid credit to young kids cuz they dont realize there buying a 5grand bike and by time there done itll cost um 12. if you cant buy it the right way you shouldnt be buying it in the first place but thats my opinion

·
Registered
57 Posts
I actually got a cheaper interest rate through another lender than my bank, oddly enough. I also wanted a new bike anyway, and not a used one. I'm not too concerned about my lender making an extra 900 bucks or so off of me. It's less than what my bank would have taken from me :)

/shrug

·
Registered
57 Posts
heck, probably not even that much considering it will be paid off a lot faster than what my term was for

·
Registered
272 Posts
don't buy new you'll get hosed. Plus with dealer fees and pdi all that crap you'll be walking out the door closer to 7k. These aren't very popular bikes and you can find a ton of them on the used market with low miles from people that just got bored with the power. Why anyone would want to buy a new drz is beyond me, that bike is like 12 years old now with no changes??

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hey now, someone has gotta be buying them new at those ridiculous prices, so that the rest of us could pick'em cheap later on :lol:

I got a 2009 with 120 miles on it, for $4400 OTD with 5 year tags. This bike wasn't even broken it yet! :bannana:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice deal on that '09! I don't have many dealerships to choose from in my area, and none of them had anything lightly used (or used for that matter) or I would have probably settled for a slightly used. If I could save up 3-5 grand in a reasonable amount of time, I know I would have better options..but sometimes instant gratification gets the better of me :) If my outcome is selling it used later on "so the rest of you can grab em up" that's fine, because I got a chunk of my investment back to me and you got a deal on a bike. /shrug

Doesn't matter anyway, because my bike aint going anywhere. If I want to upgrade, I'll just buy another to add to the collection. :bannana:

If you constantly go through thinking you will get screwed on this or that, you pass up a lot of things. Someone needs to make a buck and someone needs a product. That's economics. And sometimes you get a sweet deal you have the option of benefiting from, and sometimes you don't.

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I went and looked at the bike. They actually had a used one next to a used DRZ. I have to say I am now leaning towards the WRX.

My issue with buying used is a couple of things. First, I am always a bit leery of used stuff just because you never know what you might be getting into. The other thing is, if I do buy a used one, I want it stock, or nearly so. The money isn't the issue, new or used I'll buy cash. I guess I am going to keep my eyes on Craigslist for a lightly used one that's stock.

The used 09 WRX the dealer had has about 4,600 miles on it and I think they are asking about $4,700 for it. How would you rate 4,600 miles? Lite, medium, heavy use? What about the price?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
+1 and why would you actually try to find a used one that stock... kinda defeats the purpose, these things are extremely reliable find one with an exhaust and programmer and bars or something like that at least, i woulda never even considered buying one without at least an exhaust, just another grand overall you gotta put into it. paid under 4 for mine with 2409 miles and over a grand of parts already on it, i probly have close to 6 into it now and without an exhaust and such id have over 7 prolly.

Again these arent motocross bikes with motocross style engines that are crap, you really cant beat on these things much. dont waste time with dealers either you get screwed on taxes. use craigslist or bikefinds.com buy outright save tax talk um down etc. you'll get a sweet deal eventually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Biggest problem I am having right now is finding one. There are only a few on Craigslist in my area and I certainly haven't found any low mileage ones with just the essential upgrades for <$4,000.

·
Registered
260 Posts
took me over 2 months to find mine and i drove 5.5 hours to ohio to meet the kid to get it and he came from another 3.5 hours past that. they are rare bikes to find
True story

I drove 3.5 hours out of state to grab mine. It was pretty much the only one within 500 miles that was listed at the time.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
4600 is nothing mine has 26,000 on it orginal clutch and top end still pulls hard.....
have you adjusted your valves yet? i think 26k was the first adjust if i remember right? wondering if you got enough room when you pop the tank off. been thinking about doing mine early...i cant remember looking to see how much room is there. its prolly time for a new plug anywhay and i have shims, might as well check them...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's not encouraging! Let's see 500 mile each way for a total of 1,000 miles, 15 mpg, $3.75/gallon, that's $250 just in fuel not to mention all the time and aggravation. $4,700 asking price at the dealer isn't sounding too bad based on all that!! I have a great Craigslist iPhone app so I can be alerted quickly if something good shows up!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Steve no i have not adjusted the valves. The guy before me told me he did. I dont believe most people but this guy seemed like a real honest guy. He had every receipt for every oil change and the mileage written on recepit and all the recepits for the aftermarket stuff... So i dont know if he really did but assumin how meticulous he was i would assume he did. I am goign to freshen her up at 30,000 so if he didnt they will be done then... i saw a video that shows that you can do it with the motor in the bike hope this helps....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts