SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not owning a motard is driving me nuts.... I've come to the conclusion that the KTM 530 or Husky 510 will be my next bike. Here is the situation,

Husky 510: 9200 OTD with free tires for life and free parts with service, the tire deal only applies if I do all the scheduled maintance at the dealer, the dealer is 90 miles away. I dont mind the commute....

KTM 530: 9200-9500 OTD in super-moto trim, no special deals, but the dealer is 5 miles away.

I realise the maintance schedule for both will be about the same. My commute to work is only 5 miles, no highway. Ill be using it for a occational track day, 6-8 a year, also.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, KTM comes with both dirt and moto set up. :thumbup: Tough call is a under statement :hmmm:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
KTM. The money you have to pay the dealer to do services, and the money you spend on fuel getting to the dealer, would negate any money you save on tires w/ the Husky. Plus the KTM dealer is right near you, which makes it convenient if you need any small parts (levers, etc.). And you get the dirt wheels.

·
Registered
720 Posts
KTM. The money you have to pay the dealer to do services, and the money you spend on fuel getting to the dealer, would negate any money you save on tires w/ the Husky. Plus the KTM dealer is right near you, which makes it convenient if you need any small parts (levers, etc.). And you get the dirt wheels.
+1 :thumbup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KTM

But if it was my $9500 I'd get a used DRZ AND a Duc 916. :)

Then I wouldn't be happy with either. I owned a 998 for 2 years and loved it so the 916 is not a novelty to me, I've raced a CRF 150f in mini moto trim for a number of years and think the DRZ will leave me wanting something lighter and faster. I want the TRUE super moto experience.

·
Registered
302 Posts
that is a tough call, the 510 in my eyes is the coolest sumo out, but 90 miles is a ways to travel for parts and service, how often can you get these free tires? im sure its at some mileage intervals, not just when ever you want them, and what tires are they giving you? only stock replacement tires? but on the other hand, if you get the katoom, you get both sets of wheels, but do you plan on riding dirt with it at all? id say, if you do, go for the orange bike, hands down, tell the ktm dealer that the husky dealer is gonna give you free tires, maybe you can get a set or two out of the ktm shop for free, never know unless you ask, id say going with the ktm makes more sense

·
Registered
96 Posts
Then definitely the KTM. The Husky's are so ugly I can't stand it.

Why not the Aprilia if you want the baddest mother fucker around?

Then I wouldn't be happy with either. I owned a 998 for 2 years and loved it so the 916 is not a novelty to me, I've raced a CRF 150f in mini moto trim for a number of years and think the DRZ will leave me wanting something lighter and faster. I want the TRUE super moto experience.

·
Registered
256 Posts
yea KTM all the way. Simple becuase the shop is closer. and if you can negotiate the dealer down to the 9200 stated then you have cut a fat hog in the ass.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would take the KTM if I am sure I will never ride a factory supermoto. Slapping a set of 17" don't make a supermoto.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really, is the suspension THAT much different, will I hate it around the track??? I love the new 510smr but the dealer distance is really bothering me. I'll have another month to think about it, the 530 doesnt come in till april.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't know KTM, but Husky builds a very specific bike for supermoto. As for the suspension, it is stiff and short.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Where are you located? My KTM dealer has an '08 530 EXC on the floor for $8500-ish and he has been trying to get me to sit down with him and put together a deal with the supermoto parts. I can't afford it though and am buying a used '04 625 SMC.

Really, is the suspension THAT much different, will I hate it around the track??? I love the new 510smr but the dealer distance is really bothering me. I'll have another month to think about it, the 530 doesnt come in till april.....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im in Daytona Beach Florida..... Im really on the fence and keep going back and forth about both bikes.

The aprilla is TO much of a race bike, the maintenance is out of this world, really not streetable in my opinion, unless they changed something about the 08. Plus I dont think there is an Aprilla dealer in Daytona.

As far as the suspension goes, cant I just tune the KTM stock suspension to be stiffer?:hmmm: Im sure it's fully adjustable. The 08 510 actually boasts a longer suspension in the specs. One of the new key changes for 08.... :headscrat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Where are you located? My KTM dealer has an '08 530 EXC on the floor for $8500-ish and he has been trying to get me to sit down with him and put together a deal with the supermoto parts. I can't afford it though and am buying a used '04 625 SMC.
Would a dealer make a deal like that and include the supermoto parts and the factory dirt setup? Say for about the same price, 8500-ish. I've also been looking into getting this bike, but not sure if I want to buy brand new. I might look at the 525 too.:bike:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts