SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for a drz sm. And Im not really in a position to buy yet (cause I gotta sell some jeeps) but my dad keeps hinting about a new bike... and all this new bike business has me thinking. He told me a few days ago that if i've got the majority of the money, he would kick in about a grand.

Bringing me to my question. After what amount of miles do I have to wait till I can start modding, or can I do it right off the bat. I mean, realistically I will have no money after I buy it, but I'd like to at least to 3x3, dj kit, full yosh, and fcr 39.

-Ben

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
You can do the modding whenever you please. But personally i would wait till you break the bike in and do atleast 100+ miles first.

I was in the same situation, when i bought my XR650R i was broke! i spent everything on it, so when i got the money i uncorked it, and then bought a baja designs kit to get it street legal. Then a couple months later i got the $ for supermoto wheels and all kinds of goodies have come over the last year:D

Get it and ride it, worry about the mods after you get it:thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the plan, Im sure I will put well over 100 miles on it before the money starts rolling in again, hell Ill probably put 100 miles on it in the first day :bike:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just get the bike and take your time. Get use to it first and don't get all caught up in the mod wars game. Just ride and have fun as time goes add a thing or two. As for the Warranty well it pretty much means nothing it depends on the Dealer mostly. It's a Bike anything can happen vary rarely does it,if you take care of it and keep it happy,. It mostly depends on the dealer they can push things threw or they can sit back and do nothing and say it will be 1,500 and two parts are on back order for 3 month's.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The 3x3 and jet kit are mods that you should do as soon as you can. Doing them at zero miles would be best. The bike will run better and the jetting won't be lean(lean is not good for the motor). The other mods are a personal thing. Some never do them and some do them right away. As far as the warrenty, that depends on the dealer as to how good they treat you. Suzuki is not a great company as far as warrenties go but if your dealer is on your side(as most are, they make money on warrenty repairs) you should not have any issues with some basic mods to your ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Allright sweet, the place Im getting it from is really good to us and we go way back with the family business

·
Registered
180 Posts
You can always get the thing back to stock, mail order a new airbox top if u have to. I'd say as soon as u get the thing home the yosh and jet kit should be waiting, hell maybe an fcr too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I purchase the two year extended warranty and that was the first question i asked them.My dealer told me as long as you dont open the motor up and change valves,pistons and stuff like that it will be ok, but i would keep all your stock stuff like your pipe and stock jets just in case you really screw it up and need to take it in you can put all the stock stuff back on so they cant give you any excuses!

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Technically putting a pipe and jet kit on voids warranty.

With that being said most shops do not care. The only exception might be if there was a really strange problem and the regional service rep had to stop in and look it over. I have seen warranty's voided like that.

As for shops making $$ doing warranty work .......... shops are lucky to break even on warranty work and usually loose $$$ and a good tech & parts mans valuable time doing warranty work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts