SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been ask to death but I am having a hard time finding this info.
My son has 2 KX 65 dirt bikes and would like to turn one into a supermoto. I would like to just start by getting a set of tires to see if this is what he wants. I do trackdays on my CBR and now he wants to give it a try. He is 10 years old and has been riding dirtbikes for the last 4 years. I want to do this on the cheap. I do all my own work so I can take my time building this bike. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Can I even do this? Do I really have to buy rims? I just want a set of tires for now if that is possible.
Thank you for your help

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Dunlop 12 inch rear and there is a Michelin 14 inch front that works. The stock rims are very narrow and the tires are a bear to mount on narrow rims but they work good enough for a start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You very much. Is there any cheaper tire I can try? Are these the ones you are talking about?

DUNLOP TT92 100/90-12 REAR
MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 120/70S-14 FRONT

Thanks again

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello,

Here are some options to the tires I use and sell listed above by HRC Nick.
These are ones that I have personally use and sugges to others.

14"
Michelin Pilot Sport 120/70-14" - $74 (MSRP $103) Best Choice
Avon Viper Stryke 120/70-14 - $57 (MSRP $66)

12"
Continental Zippy 1 120/70-12" - $45 (MSRP $55) Best Choice
Michelin Pilot Sport 120/70-12" - $60 (MSRP $78)

I can ship to you for whatever the actual shipping is.

Thanks,
Robert
The Service Pavilion

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for your help. I'm sure I will be asking for more in the near future.

Robert I just sent you a email on pricing.

Mark

·
Registered
66 Posts
No, that's too wide. If you can even get it to bead on the rim, the profile will still be terrible. I run BT-601 fronts on my stock rim, and they work really well. just ensure you mount it backwards, since the stresses on a rear tire are opposite a front.

·
Registered
169 Posts
No, that's too wide. If you can even get it to bead on the rim, the profile will still be terrible. I run BT-601 fronts on my stock rim, and they work really well. just ensure you mount it backwards, since the stresses on a rear tire are opposite a front.
Not a big concern really about mounting the tires backwards for mini's. If any of the mini's made over 35hp then we might be having a problem. You can run any of the tires in any direction without any problems. If you are flat tracking the bikes run them backwards so you have biting edges. (Unless you have slicks which you won't be using) For asphalt run them in the correct directions in case you ride in wet conditions, so the tires will perform as designed.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
We have been racing miniGP for many years and you can run any of the 12" race tires forwards or backwards.......... been at speeds over 65mph.........

Just saying experience rules:thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts