SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need all DRZ riders help, and anyone else who may have some helpfull advise!! OK, so I bought an 07 DRZ400SM about 2 months ago with a good amount of mods already done. Thats the good, heres the not so good. Any time I get around 75 mph I get a shake in the front end. The tires were almost worn out (michelin pilot rear, dunlop front) so I replaced them with some Avon Distanzias and yet it STILL does this. What the hell is the deal here fellas??

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I used to get bad head shake around 80 mph when I mounted my rains on my DRZ. Put a steering damper on there......make sure the head assembly is all tightened down. I don't really balance my wheels, but you may also wanna look into whether they are really unbalanced.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to get bad head shake around 80 mph when I mounted my rains on my DRZ. Put a steering damper on there......make sure the head assembly is all tightened down. I don't really balance my wheels, but you may also wanna look into whether they are really unbalanced.
Ive been checking steering dampers out...my wheels are balanced properly. I had them rebalanced when the Avons where installed.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ive been checking steering dampers out...my wheels are balanced properly. I had them rebalanced when the Avons where installed.
have you tried getting up on the tank putting more weight on the front end? if it goes away suspension, damper, and make sure to check your steering head tube tightness. its classic tank slapper from the sound.

z

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
If you still have the stock mirrors on, that could be it. If I'm going 60+mph behind a SUV or van, the mirrors catch the turbulence and cause a shake.

·
Registered
16 Posts
+1 on movin up to add weight to the front end. May want to try a quick run without the mirrors too... I have noticed the DRZ is really sensitive to dirty air, and the mirrors just add surface area up high.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
one man's wiggle is anothers tank slapper. my guess is you're getting that loose front end feeling that all motards get at speed.

As said, I'd get up on the tank, and stay loose on the controls. use countersterring inputs at speed without grabbing on the bars hard. Many race tards do this like crazy, but then the straights aren't as long as a freeway :lol:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Loosen your grip. I can guarantee you that the crosswinds are catching your arms and that's translating right into the bars. It happens to me almost every time I get on the freeway and it reminds me to loosen up.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
This.
You'll get used to it, and if you wear baggy sleeves it gets worse.
How much head shake I have depends on which jacket I wear.
I have one I won't wear on the highway just for that reason.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Loosen your grip. I can guarantee you that the crosswinds are catching your arms and that's translating right into the bars. It happens to me almost every time I get on the freeway and it reminds me to loosen up.
This ^^^

Happens to me also at 75-80 plus and gets worse once the little wobble starts. Remove left hand and it stops.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
have you tried getting up on the tank putting more weight on the front end? if it goes away suspension, damper, and make sure to check your steering head tube tightness. its classic tank slapper from the sound.

z
Yes, this was actualy the first thing that came to my head. I have tried it in many situations and the freeway one is still up in the air...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Thats one reason why im a little confused.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you still have the stock mirrors on, that could be it. If I'm going 60+mph behind a SUV or van, the mirrors catch the turbulence and cause a shake.
Ive never really though about that but yes the stock mirrors are still on the bike. Ive actualy been looking at the MSR bat mount mirrors. The little round ones that hang below the bar.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im always pretty loose on my grip...just loose enough to stay comfortable. My arms arent stiff, nor is my body or legs. Ive tried even getting a little looser, and even taking my left hand off the bars and that is most definately not it!!

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
How much fork tube do you have above the top clamp? Are they the same on both sides? Not sure what the stock position is, but too much can cause a very nervous front end.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
First things first, have you set your sag? I'll bet not, and it has too much rear bias.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i had the same problem. im pretty sure it was a combination of the stock mirrors, the stock front fender, position of the forks in the tubes, unbalanced wheel, and death grip. only make 1 change at a time, and see if it helps.

for me it still shakes if i give it the death grip. at speed, i grip HARD with my knees and barely touch the bars with my hands. no shake.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Explain please
Sag basically refers to how much the suspension compresses under the weight of the bike only (static sag) or bike + rider (race sag). The recommended starting point is around 25mm of static sag which you can set yourself with a stand or bike lift, and around 75-80mm of race sag which you'll need some help for since you need to be on the bike in full gear, feet on the pegs. The sag setting affects how much weight bias is placed on each tire. If you notice one tire wearing before the other, that's a good indicator of too much bias towards that end.

Setting my sag made a big difference; having my suspension professionally set up for my weight and riding style was like having a whole new motorcycle. Hands down the best money you can spend on any bike.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts