SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 sm510, less than 300 miles on it.

Been having issues with the bike running really rough from 3500-5000 rpm.

But, today was something else. The bike stalled (as usual) at a stop sign and when I got it started again it revved up to 7-9k! WTF! I shut it down and got it to start again a bit later, it did the same thing. Now it won't start and the starter doesn't even sound like it's doing anything. the battery was wicked hot, so, I took it out. Maybe it's fried? But, what was the super high rpm thing? I'd love some help with this as Matison Motorsports in Raleigh, NC, HusqvarnaUSA, or Husqvarna Italy aren't much help yet (tried many calls emails).

I recommend not buying this bike just yet, more hassle than fun. Wait until next year and see if they get it sorted out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Way too specific of a problem to cast doubt on all 08' 510's don't you think?? I have not heard of any other 08' owner describe a problem like this. The only thing I can think of is the bad/weak battery mount husky uses is allowing the battery to jump around under the seat and may have shorted against the frame.

good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"more 08 sm510 trouble" is the key phrase here. been one thing after another... plenty of doubt on this bike, for sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, helped a bit at first, probably because the battery is almost dead. but, what was the crazy idle spike to 9k rpm!?! how did that happen? i didn't think that was possible with the throttle closed...

charging the battery now but i think there is something else wrong that caused the battery to drain while i was riding. i mean, this happened at a stop sign after riding for an hour.

worried it's just gonna rev up again on it's own to 9k when i try to restart.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AHA!!!

the whole freaking throttle body is separated from the engine! how'd that happen?...

·
Registered
131 Posts
worried it's just gonna rev up again on it's own to 9k when i try to restart.
The fast idle is weird?? I'm trying to figure out how electronicaly you can alter the engine speed?? I think it would have to have the throttle butterfly physicaly opened so i would check the throttle tube, cables, and area under plastic cover on right side of of engine where the cables connect to throttle butterfly. If the butterfly is closed and it still revs to 9k rpm I"ll be shocked!?!

EDIT: ok I see you found the prob. while I was typing....Looks like a easy fix??

EDIT2: sometimes the dealers in haste dont do a great job of charging new batts. It may be 2 seperate things not related (low batt charge and throttle body came loose).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, for sure you are right, ceeco.
thanks for your help, i'll need more in the future...

it's a love-hate thing with this bike.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No prob. glad it doesn't appear serious.

Have you had it hooked up to the iBeat software yet? a few adjustments can really help out the way the bike runs, and of course the $3-4 hundy on the power up kit is a must do....:thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not yet, my local dealer is worthless, they won't tell me if they have or if they can get the ibeat software.

might drive the bike up to Ferracci next week.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do it! Once you have the power up kit and the iBeat adjustments made you can just ride it and enjoy it.....no stalling and smooth power top to bottom. Not saying it can't get even better but for 98% of owners this setup will work great.

Ferracci also has the power commander for the 510. Might as well just have them hook you up with that while your there!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
sorry to steal this thread but it will be helpful for us 08 510smr owners.. ceeco, in what way does the power commander help..? does it "re-flash" the stock ecu just like how some cars "re-flash" theirs? i got my dealer to do something to my EFI settings the other day. i told them to use that 100.2 setting to my FB1 but was told my bike became unridable with that setting. JFH, this is only applicable if u already have the "power-up" kit. (arrow slip-on, lambda plug, sensor plug) I dont know what setting they used but they said, for the "re-tune" they had to put back the O2 sensor. well, a few days passed n the bike was beginning to feel nice. (they said the ecu needs to re-learn) but yesterday, i had problems starting the bike n found out that my negative terminal for my battery was actually loose. i fiddled with it n somehow, it cleared my speedo, fastest speed, time on the meter. now, the bike seems to be hesitant in the low end n has problems in the top too.. could it be that my EFI settings were lost when the battery got disconnected..?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
PowerCommander interrupts the signal from the ECU and makes a correction based on the Throttle Position and RPM. There is matrix/map, throttle position X RPM, that is normally created with a dyno run and air fuel ratio measurement. The matrix either adds or takes away fuel for a given throttle position and RPM. Given the size of the matrix, more permutations than the lottery, it is unlikely one could make their own matrix/map. Borrowing a matrix for a similar bike is an option, but might be less than ideal. I borrowed a map for my Ducati Monster, and it was far superior to the stock FI setup. I doubt that it was ideal. I believe that on some inline 4 bikes the PowerCommander can also alter the ignition advance too.

Btw, this is just how I understand the PowerCommander. No objections to being corrected.

The maps that can be downloaded off the PowerCommander site tend to suck balls.

·
Registered
131 Posts
sorry to steal this thread but it will be helpful for us 08 510smr owners.. ceeco, in what way does the power commander help..? does it "re-flash" the stock ecu just like how some cars "re-flash" theirs? i got my dealer to do something to my EFI settings the other day. i told them to use that 100.2 setting to my FB1 but was told my bike became unridable with that setting. JFH, this is only applicable if u already have the "power-up" kit. (arrow slip-on, lambda plug, sensor plug) I dont know what setting they used but they said, for the "re-tune" they had to put back the O2 sensor. well, a few days passed n the bike was beginning to feel nice. (they said the ecu needs to re-learn) but yesterday, i had problems starting the bike n found out that my negative terminal for my battery was actually loose. i fiddled with it n somehow, it cleared my speedo, fastest speed, time on the meter. now, the bike seems to be hesitant in the low end n has problems in the top too.. could it be that my EFI settings were lost when the battery got disconnected..?
Restukey did a fine job of explaining the Power Commander workings. In a nut shell iBeat does not allow for precise enough fuel adjusting so the Power Commander is still needed to really tune the motor in all areas of the map. iBeat adjust fuel through the entire map based on what you enter into FB1. The power Commander will allow you to add some fuel here take some away there and just fine tune the fuel map at any rpm, throttle pos., gear, etc.. I have been so busy and broke I have not ordered mine but plan to soon and will go back to AF1 Racing to have the guys tune it on the Factory Pro Dyno.

I am not sure why the shop says it wont run on the 100.2 throttle pos. setting?? Did you/they confuse that with the FB1 parameter?? It would make sense as 100.2 there would be like pouring gas down the intake from a cup! ha ha! I had to sit and fine tune my throttle pos. to get the 100.2 setting. This is a pretty sure thing backed up by many owners and there is even a factory memo that Ferraci released detailing the process. You can find it linked in a thread at ThumperTalk.

****I just re-read your post and see you did use the 100.2 for FB1. There we want a setting of 110 and the other 2 FB's should be 100. Then set throttle position sensor to the 100.2 setting. The throttle pos. adjustment is done with the bike warm but not running and can be completed in 15 min. easy. You do not have to mess with the o2 sensor or anything else..... warm bike, plug in iBeat, adjust throttle stop using screw behind black plastic cover on the right side of motor. 0 reading at closed throttle and when you turn throttle wide open you want 100.2 reading. I had to play with it for 6-8 adjustments before I found the 100.2, I got way off base once and just had to go by memory on the # of threads showing on throttle stop screw to get me back to #'s that even made sense. Small micro adjustments when you get close. This will work, I promise****

Hijack but relevant sorta....
I did my first Track day with the new 510 today. It was mid sized road course and was ideal for a 600cc sportbike. I did all right on the straights but just had a blast closing down on brakes and crackin' the throttle seconds earlier than the big bikes to pull up even on corner exit:boxing:
This was my first time with a race quality sumo on the track and I want more!! my last race bike was a Honda RS250 gp bike and it had alot of the same fun factor in the corners. Cant wait to get to one of our tighter tracks later this year.

·
Registered
131 Posts
need to clairify....I stated that if you used the 100.2 setting for FB1 that the motor would get too much gas...well, it's just the opposite. FB1 should be set to 110 and that is a richer setting than stock and much richer than the 100.2 setting. The larger the # the richer.

It would also be interesting to hear what setting everyones bike was set at from factory. I wonder if the Euro spec. bike came set any diffrently?? My FB1 was at 102 before I made changes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
no wonder they said it was unrideable.. thanks for the clarification ceeco. i've been busy n jus got to read your reply here. its already evening now here so i guess i'll only be able to tell them tomorrow.

jfh, u should get the power up kit n have some changes to your settings. its really frustrating to have it below expectations..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts