SuperMoto Junkie banner

201 - 220 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Haha, Every other day? The guys on the SXV forums were talking about changing your oil between 150 and 200 miles. This means that if I head out with my buddies for a Sunday ride, I'm looking at an oil change before leaving home, another at lunch time, and a third when I get home, if I plan on riding to work Monday!
the aprilias are blowing up like crazy, you couldn't give me one, even tho they are fast but they are a lot heavier than a single.

i change my oil every ten or twelve hours of run time. but i run and rev the piss out of my fs570 every second im on it and i run a reusable s.s. filter, so it cost 1.5 liters of mobil one for an oil change. ktm dealers recommend 1000 miles for oil changes on the rfs engined race bikes vs 3000 miles on the lc4 based engines that carry almost 3 times the oil...im ok with changing it at 500 or 600 miles or so considering im riding a 109 kg race bike that handles as good as they come...my oil is slightly dark when i change it never black...

·
Registered
819 Posts
Haha, Every other day? The guys on the SXV forums were talking about changing your oil between 150 and 200 miles. This means that if I head out with my buddies for a Sunday ride, I'm looking at an oil change before leaving home, another at lunch time, and a third when I get home, if I plan on riding to work Monday!

That's even more excessive. But for me, I want 1000 miles between oil changes. Anything more than that is a bike that doesn't belong on the street, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
im ok with changing it at 500 or 600 miles or so considering im riding a 109 kg race bike that handles as good as they come...my oil is slightly dark when i change it never black...
Wow...my oil is the color of black coffee at 500 miles. That 500 miles is a mix of commuting and hammering on it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I love my KTM690 Supermoto. It is a sweet street bike if you can only have one. I live WNC so nothing beats a street tart around here. My Friend has a 625 SMC with pipes, gearing and a jet kit. The 625 is a little more aggressive and feels faster, but the 690 is much nicer to ride day in and day out. It is hard to beat the features of a counterbalanced engine, fuel injection, big radial brake, and a slipper clutch from the factory.

The 625 made my a$$ hurt for three days after flogging it for an hour. Nothing Vibrates like those things. I was so glad I just went for the 690SM when I couldn't find a 625 SMC or DRZ400SM in good shape.

The only bikes that could tempt me from mine would be the 990 version, R model, KTM dual sport, or Hypermotard.
I like your taste in bikes...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Damn, it's been a while since I checked in on this thread. I still vote for my 690 SMR as the best STREET tard (or a 690 SM or Duke, they're about identical for practical purposes), emphasis on being a good street bike while having the advantages of a motard... but I gotta say, DAMN that Berg 570 looks like an awesome machine!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
570 Berg is a mean street machine. Virtually indestructible motor and european quality all around (except the bolts they use. :rofl:).

They just need some modding to make the best out of it.
if you run a dna air filter, run the akcro header and muffler, install the competition map on the ecu it will run awesome...

bergos has a 44mm throttle body a big valve ported head and a cam...another company makes a 622cc barrel and piston kit...if you do all that and buy the user setting tool you might get it to run better than the set i initially listed...i instead plan to by a tm 530 super moto for double what it would take to get a few more ponies out f my berg 570...

·
Registered
547 Posts
if you run a dna air filter, run the akcro header and muffler, install the competition map on the ecu it will run awesome...

bergos has a 44mm throttle body a big valve ported head and a cam...another company makes a 622cc barrel and piston kit...if you do all that and buy the user setting tool you might get it to run better than the set i initially listed...i instead plan to by a tm 530 super moto for double what it would take to get a few more ponies out f my berg 570...
I have those first parts you listed minus akra header. It's ok after them.

Bergos still doesn't sell the camshaft they list. I've asked thousand times but no release date whatsoever. Apparently the stock cam is actually quite good, just the rev limiter needs to be set higher and ignition timing mapped differently. I'm done with them and I have new tuner I'm gonna work with.

Will have the head ported here and mapped the bike with user setting tool that I have bought. Getting 46mm custom throttle body and stock piston and cylinder machining for more compression from a different company from Germany. Full FMF titanium exhaust too. Should make the Berg fly then.

·
Registered
399 Posts
so i realize that the Duke (1,2 and especially 3) seems to be widely stated as NOT a motard. but it IS admittedly probably the first and closest thing to being a street legal tard out of the box. at the very least the true hooligan bike. so whats the opinions on them. the 3 seems like its stepped away a bit from its dirt roots and is heading towards the sportbike side of the family

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
"CRF, Again, race bike. Maintenance intensive, simply not designed for the street.". I have two crf 450x and one has 15,000 mile on it. I've never touched the motor. Just change the oil every 1,000 to 1,500 miles. Keeping chain slides on it with the gearing I'm running.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Supermono Project

I want to build a Supermono for road racing based on a high horsepower Supermotard. The KTM 690 Duke would be the logical choice, but they are $$$ and hard to come buy now KTM USA has stopped importing the Duke. My 'goal' is a race only (non street legal) 70+hp 300lb supermono. I built a 58hp 06 YZ450 (race gas, stock bore/stroke, high comp piston, cams etc) SM so I am pretty sure 70+hp is achievable with a bigger engine to start with.

This is what inspired me http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...690r-mototech/

The 450 moto thing was tried and didn't go anywhere and I want to build a bike with decent power. So what other bikes will make good power with more emphasis on top end power?

Fuel injection would be great but I know running a flat slide carb will get just as good gains. A slipper clutch is really a must but if the bike doesn't come with a stock slipper clutch most bikes can be fitted with an aftermarket slipper. Electric start would be good as these built bikes are tough to start and I would like to get rid of the kick starter as it wont clear the fairings, while using rollers to start it is possible it is not always practical. A 6 speed transmission would be ideal, but a 5 speed could be made to work.

I would be modifying/replacing the swingarm to get a better swingarm angle for road racing as most SM/MX/Dirt bikes have a swingarm too long so it is too flat. I would modifying/replacing the forks and shock as well to get a good setup for road racing. I wouldn't have an issue punching out the cylinder as going big bore helps the top end as well as midrange if the cams are timed correctly.

Since I will be changing/modifying the forks/shock swingarm and oboviously wheels, so far I have come up with:
KTM 690/954/640
KTM 525
Husky 510/630
Husaberg 570

Wont do an Aprilia as I used to work for Aprilia USA....... LOL

So what do people think would be the best donor/starting platform?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well most people have bad experiences with Aprilia SXV's because of the shoddy dealership work but if you can find a reputable Aprilia mechanic (like Allen Noland for East coast or Amauri on West - both frequent apriliaforum.com) the bikes can be as reliable as any other SM out there. Mine is '08 (bought it last year autumn as a demo unit for $3,000 below the msrp with only like 800 miles on the odo) and that's when they started delivering bikes with good black sealant between cases and not many SXV's that are properly tuned and maintained blow up any more after that. Allen Noland worked on mine and now I have more than 2000 care free miles so far this season (4 oil changes so far and that's it) and the bike is like nothing I have ever ridden. It's derestricted, af1racing single stage air filter and remapped with aprilia race map (15030) and fine tuned by Allen (can't wait to put on a Arrow or Silmoto dual pipe exhaust, hate the Acrapovic side pipe, looks like a canon). I'm coming from 187 whp '08 ZX10R with full Acro race pipe, PC3 and etc and let me tell you, there's nothing like stupid fast V-twin motor screaming to 11000rpm looking like a dirt bike with 180 sportbike rear tire! I'll never sell my Aprilia SXV 550, the bike is simply amazing and I'd suggest everyone that's interested in high power V-twin supermoto bike to try and ride a derestricted/tuned one. Adjusting valves does require taking the motor out of the frame but hey, if that's the price I have to pay to have the fastest/craziest sumo out there then be it. I've heard from Allen that there are race tuned SXV's that put down 95-100HP!!!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Well most people have bad experiences with Aprilia SXV's because of the shoddy dealership work but if you can find a reputable Aprilia mechanic (like Allen Noland for East coast or Amauri on West - both frequent apriliaforum.com) the bikes can be as reliable as any other SM out there. Mine is '08 (bought it last year autumn as a demo unit for $3,000 below the msrp with only like 800 miles on the odo) and that's when they started delivering bikes with good black sealant between cases and not many SXV's that are properly tuned and maintained blow up any more after that. Allen Noland worked on mine and now I have more than 2000 care free miles so far this season (4 oil changes so far and that's it) and the bike is like nothing I have ever ridden. It's derestricted, af1racing single stage air filter and remapped with aprilia race map (15030) and fine tuned by Allen (can't wait to put on a Arrow or Silmoto dual pipe exhaust, hate the Acrapovic side pipe, looks like a canon). I'm coming from 187 whp '08 ZX10R with full Acro race pipe, PC3 and etc and let me tell you, there's nothing like stupid fast V-twin motor screaming to 11000rpm looking like a dirt bike with 180 sportbike rear tire! I'll never sell my Aprilia SXV 550, the bike is simply amazing and I'd suggest everyone that's interested in high power V-twin supermoto bike to try and ride a derestricted/tuned one. Adjusting valves does require taking the motor out of the frame but hey, if that's the price I have to pay to have the fastest/craziest sumo out there then be it. I've heard from Allen that there are race tuned SXV's that put down 95-100HP!!!
pulling the motor out of the frame to adjust the valves and sketchy reliability issues...made me buy the husaberg fs 570

·
Registered
16 Posts
:laughingr
^Maybe I got carried away a little and now I'm not sure if that was the number or not but there's a guy from Italy on the apriliaforum.com, Danny87 that has a friend with SXV 550 that's putting down 82HP. Now, he didn't specify if that was at the wheel or crank but if on the wheel then that must be around 90HP on the crank so I wasn't that far off then. I'll ask him and confirm. Don't hate...he he

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry not hating, I just know Amauri and a lot about these motors :thumbup:

90-100hp at the crank? rear wheel? DIN? STD? SAE? I used to own a dyno tuning business and it is actually easy to fudge dyno output numbers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
90-100hp would be on the crank - I posted a thread on apriliaforum.com since I couldn't find an official dyno numbers of race tuned SXV's or highly tuned ones for that matter anywhere and will post the replies. I also PM'd Danny87 asking him about his friends SXV550 and 82HP he posted it is putting down and I'm waiting for his reply. I certainly don't want to spread missinformation and will apologize if the numbers I wrote down are not realistic or never achieved. I'll PM Allen and Amauri too and see what they'll say. Anyways, the bike is a blast to ride and I'm thinking about never selling this one. Now if I could find a cheap used Arrow or Silmoto dual tip exhaust, load a tune and squeeze a few more ponnies out of it I'd be even happier...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got a reply from Danny87 (apriliaforum.com) from Italy:

"82hp to the wheel....the bike is a official sxv550VDB....the bike is prepared and serviced all the time from the world supermoto mechanics in Aprilia! Let's just say that my friend has enough money, and that his VDB is identical to the ones used in the world champioship, with exception to the tuned 550engine prepared by aprilia. Anyway, official VDB engine, cylinder work, titanium rods, titanium pistons, mapping by aprilia mechanics, arrow exhaust, and a few other things....don't no for sure!"

So that would be around 90-95 on the crank depending on the transmission losses...and I know, there are no dyno charts to prove it but I think I'm going to stop with this now...whatever anybody wants to believe in is fine...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm looking to buy my first street tard.
To start off I live in cali so not to many choices. My budget is tight considering I'm 17 so I'm looking for an older bike. The bike will be my daily driver and weekend toy aswell as long distance rides and windy mountain runs. The bike will need to be able to do 70-80 for long distances. Ive been riding motorcycles for 14 years and am comfortable with heavier motorcycles. I've ridden my friends wr426 converted to sm and I feel like it would be a bad choice for long distance rides. I'm leaning towards a drz400 And converting to a supermoto. Any opinions and info would be great

·
Registered
36 Posts
DRZ or older TE610 maybe. Older KTMs are paint shakers, newer ones are too expensive... Maybe if you can find a KLX650 converted to a motard, might fit the budget too, and probably better for distance than the smaller displacement bikes.

Honestly, supermoto and long distance aren't usually spoken in the same sentence unless you mean the twin cylinder big supermotos. My 690 is about the minimum level of comfort I'd consider taking a REAL long ride on.

201 - 220 of 229 Posts