SuperMoto Junkie banner

181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Not enough HP or RPM to hurt themselves? 10K and 55HP ain't enough? :D

Old Dog.

BTW, I am enjoying the debate, I hope you gents are treating it as such. Just a debate, nothing personal... I don't want to create hard feelings over a style of riding that we all love..

·
Registered
139 Posts
I looked at all the bikes out there before deciding to build an XRR.
Coming from a 35 year roadracing backround, I have enough bikes in the stable that require serious maintaining...mostly TZ250's. For me, I'm used to 250-300lb. bikes and find the XR650R to be perfect for my riding style. Cheap to buy, build, and get parts for it. Great engines when tuned right with bulletproof reliability and I can put it anywhere that any other tard can go. I don't want to be wrenching on my streetbikes all the time...we have Ducati for that:lol:

One of my other Hooligan street toys!

PS: I own a Ducati. :lol:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

Now this is just the shiznit! :D

Old Dog.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I love how people are downing the TRUE supermoto style bikes in order to hype up ktm type poser bikes :rofl:

If it doesnt have a kick start, weighs over 280lbs and looks to pretty to crash...it aint a supermoto. :bannana:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If it doesnt have a kick start, weighs over 280lbs and looks to pretty to crash...it aint a supermoto. :bannana:
And that is that... But I am to old, to fat, and plain to crotchity to stand and kick a durned motor to life. Can you call a starter motor evolution? :rolleyes2:

Old Dog.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I looked at all the bikes out there before deciding to build an XRR.
Coming from a 35 year roadracing backround, I have enough bikes in the stable that require serious maintaining...mostly TZ250's. For me, I'm used to 250-300lb. bikes and find the XR650R to be perfect for my riding style. Cheap to buy, build, and get parts for it. Great engines when tuned right with bulletproof reliability and I can put it anywhere that any other tard can go. I don't want to be wrenching on my streetbikes all the time...we have Ducati for that:lol:

PS: I own a Ducati. :lol:
NOW UR TALKING brah, i had an rg500 i sold it cuz if i dropped it i would never find the oem bodywork to fix it, plus the chassis was really dated "86" i now have a 2000 aprilia rs250 i luv and just to scare the crap out of the young guns on their street fighters i have a 72 h2 triple with 163 hp paul gast motor...a lot of the young guys have never seen a triple run hard so i enjoy enlighten them. lol i would have bought a ducati i think they are so sweet, but there is no ducati dealer in medellin:headshake
i also have an 84 rz 350 bone stock with 1300 miles, an 09 ktm rc8, and my berg fs 570... i do wish the berg had a kicker tho! oh and i have a rare as h3ll 77 suzuki lj50 4x4 jeep with a 539cc three cylinder 2 smoker lol, people really trip out on it when they here a screaming two stroke wfo and i roll buy at 40 mph....:lol:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I love how people are downing the TRUE supermoto style bikes in order to hype up ktm type poser bikes :rofl:

the ktm 560 smr was no poser dude, and the berg 570 has zero maintenance issues nor does it have crank problems like the 525 and 560 ktm's the 625 and 640 ktm's are poser smr's no doubt about that tho. but they are "heavy"...i think the finest smr built now is the tm smr's they are beautiful and run like a scalded cat...109 kg just like the berg 570 and the ktm 560...what do you consider the finest smr made today in you infinite wisdow??? mr p

·
Registered
139 Posts
NOW UR TALKING brah, i had an rg500 i sold it cuz if i dropped it i would never find the oem bodywork to fix it, plus the chassis was really dated "86" i now have a 2000 aprilia rs250 i luv and just to scare the crap out of the young guns on their street fighters i have a 72 h2 triple with 163 hp paul gast motor...a lot of the young guys have never seen a triple run hard so i enjoy enlighten them. lol i would have bought a ducati i think they are so sweet, but there is no ducati dealer in medellin:headshake
i also have an 84 rz 350 bone stock with 1300 miles, an 09 ktm rc8, and my berg fs 570... i do wish the berg had a kicker tho! oh and i have a rare as h3ll 77 suzuki lj50 4x4 jeep with a 539cc three cylinder 2 smoker lol, people really trip out on it when they here a screaming two stroke wfo and i roll buy at 40 mph....:lol:
And I raise with one of these!:thumbup:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Anyone can go out and drop infinite money to buy all these ktm/aprilia, or your sacred huseineaberg :rolleyes:

Those are just low powered street bikes.

I always thought a supermoto was a dirtbike with 17's inverted forks, and a kick start.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Anyone can go out and drop infinite money to buy all these ktm/aprilia, or your sacred huseineaberg :rolleyes:

Those are just low powered street bikes.

I always thought a supermoto was a dirtbike with 17's inverted forks, and a kick start.
that's exactly what they started out as mr p, but over time a thing called technology came along and they improved the breed...

the first two years the hiesenberg fe570 only came as a dirt bike with knobbies...brah

fyi, i paid 150 bucks for my first bike in 75, a h1500 triple...i pushed it three miles to my local kawi dealer, realized i couldn't afford to pay them to fix it so a bought a repair manual and pushed it three miles home and fixed it, i was 15. then i really dug deep and spent a whopping 280 beans on my first h2 750 triple, did some research, ported it myself, undercut my trans filing the gears by hand and kicked a lot of z1 azz. both were in boxes when i got em. i moved to medellin colombia and there are not a lot of cool older bikes to do up like there are in the states, not that i didn't think about it, and you can't import used stuff here without greasing some palms and taking the chance of losing your bike to customs...

i've fabricated every set of headers on my performance cars. i just made the expansion chamber for my lj50 jeep, i do the bodywork and paint work on all my own stuff, narrow my own differentials, set up my third members, build my own engines for my cars, bikes, and boats. when my berg gets tired or pukes the engine, its going to be a 622 berg, with more cam and i will bore the throttle body to 44mm...i have the skills and tools to build anything i want, so don't be hating cuz i can afford to buy some newer late model hardware... i've paid my dues...brah

·
Registered
819 Posts
Don't let these haters get you down!
There are no haters, only people insecure about their choice of bike.

I picked my bike, a 690SM for much of the same reasons the OP was looking for. Seems like it would be a good bike for him too. I weigh 200 lbs myself and any bike I get on less than 650 begs for mercy.

"Street tard" doesn't imply a high strung race bike that needs an oil change every other day and a top end rebuild every 20 hours. Some of us would rather ride than wrench. Some of us don't want a bike that's going to explode if ridden on the highway for more than a half hour, or a seat that's about as comfortable as a wood 2x4.

Quite a few dorks around here rambling on about "real" and "posers". There are no posers on supermotos. We're all a bunch of outcasts from the rest of the motorcycling world and nobody really cares about what kind of supermoto we ride.

I love how people are downing the TRUE supermoto style bikes in order to hype up ktm type poser bikes
Now here's a guy who thinks he's special. News flash: he's not.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
zaph, that is one of the things that is so cool about some of the newer race smr's you can street tard the piss out of them. i don't consider 10 or 12 hours run time for oil changes to much maintenance, it takes a quart and a half of mobil1 and a few sprays of my ss oil filter and i have it down to a 15 min ordeal... as long as you don't stroke your motor your bearings on the newer smr's will go the distance. i was looking at the tm 660 smr cuz it's a real beast 80+ hp but tm recommends crank bearings every 10 race hours:headshake im not down with that, but their 530 is like my berg 10 or 12 hours on the oil changes and infrequent valve adjustment checks...it's only a single lol

btw there is a company that widens seats so you can get a nice wide comfortable seat for an smr racer for the long rides...i did ride nine hours 4.5 sat and 4.5 sun a few months ago...my azz wasn't a happy camper about it:lol:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
For seating woes you might try Mustang saddle, find them on line. They had a pre-made foam and my choice of vinyl shiped to me door in three workign days for about 150. This was a few years ago, but it should be close. For those of you that doubt, they also told me at the time that if you shiped them your seat pan, they could build a custom just for you and your backside.

As for hours in the saddle, I am sorry, my weekends out start at 20 hours of run time and about 500 miles, depending on how intence the roads are. How the devil am I going to change oil on the side of the road? I need the extended ranges a bike like the XR will run before needing any wrenching at all. Hell, I leave the thing out in the rain now and then and let the mud fall off verses washing. The only time it gets intensionaly washed is when I have to run a creek bed at my favorite off road hole in the world...

Old Dog.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
i have ridden in 9 countries and nowhere i have ridden has more curves than colombia. this is the only place i have ridden where you wear out front tires as quickly as you do rears, a lot of the roads are a constant curve...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
i have ridden in 9 countries and nowhere i have ridden has more curves than colombia. this is the only place i have ridden where you wear out front tires as quickly as you do rears, a lot of the roads are a constant curve...
I have GOT to get a ticket to this place !!!

Old Dog.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have GOT to get a ticket to this place !!!

Old Dog.
btw they do not give moving violations or speeding tickets here either. there is one road i know of that has about a 2 mile straigtaway there is a radar trap there. it is the longest section of straight road any of my local buddies know of other than the highway to bogota.lol i was going more the double the speed limit....a ten dollar bribe and i was on my way again in 5 minutes after we talked about my bike for a short. and the ladies are so hot and so fine you need to see them to believe it...medellin rocks dude

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
dude you need more bike
look at the berg fs 570...
i go riding with a bunch of friends most of which ride ktm 990 ...when we come out of a corner and hit the straights they can't pull away from me on my 570
...i have a berg fs 570.. one of our pals has a suzuki drz he can't keep up with us and it got to the point we got tired of stopping every 20 mins or so for him to catch up.... and runs right with the 690s, but mine handles better and stops harder
i never know when it's 420 so i smoke all the time lol
look at the berg fs 570...i luv mine
why a honda xr650? lmao please don't try to pass that thing off as a smr dude! when we come out of a tight corner and every one hits the gas only the 990 smrs can stay in front of my berg, on the track i would hand the 690 it's azz easily.. i rev the piss out of it and hole shot every traffic light with a first second third wheelie (they don't give moving violation tickets here in colombia...wahoo),
an xr is kinda like an old vw, ...on my berg i rev it like it's a two stroker. ... my cousin has an xr650 he put 17's on and modified but he would never try to pass it off as a real smr... ..enjoy you xr or what ever yhou ride just don't try to pass an old enduro with 17's off as an smr...rm
berg 570 ...what do you consider the finest smr made today in you infinite wisdow??? mr p
i was going more the double the speed limit....a ten dollar bribe and i was on my way again in 5 minutes and the ladies are so hot and so fine you need to see them to believe it...medellin rocks dude
Easy there big fella. So, how do you like that berg570?

·
Registered
24 Posts
"Street tard" doesn't imply a high strung race bike that needs an oil change every other day and a top end rebuild every 20 hours.
Haha, Every other day? The guys on the SXV forums were talking about changing your oil between 150 and 200 miles. This means that if I head out with my buddies for a Sunday ride, I'm looking at an oil change before leaving home, another at lunch time, and a third when I get home, if I plan on riding to work Monday!

181 - 200 of 229 Posts