SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for some quality gear. So far I have a icon variant and just some A* smx-2 air carbon gloves. I'm looking for a jacket, pants, and boots but the choices are just overwhelming. I'm riding like 90% street (commuting, around town) 10% dirt/trails and 0% track.

For the jacket I don't want anything to heavy and thick and I know I want textile. I was looking at the A* Viper air jacket, but don't know how much protection it offers.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/57038/i/alpinestars-viper-air-jacket

For the pants I'm looking for some jeans with Kevlar or whatnot and once again I don't want leather. I have been looking at the RHOK kevlar jeans with the knee and hip pads as well as the BILT iron worker camo cargo pants. Do theses offer sufficient protection? I was kind of concerned that the knee pads would just float around and off my knees.

BILT- http://www.cyclegear.com/c/brand/BILT-IRON-WORKERS/Camo-Cargo-Motorcycle-Pants/p/43312_59823_73#

RHOK- http://www.ebay.com/itm/RHOK-Gen3-PEKEV-Black-Motorcycle-Jeans-with-Armors-better-than-Kevlar-/161002790283

Now on to the boots. Of course I want something to protect my ankle and foot but I don't want anything too stiff. I want it to be somewhat flexible, preferably no laces but I will consider boots with laces, I want the boot to be small enough to go under my jeans and comfortable enough to walk around in If I have to. Here is what I am looking at so far

A* Tech 3 Chrome (how are these? too stiff?) http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/51858/i/alpinestars-tech-3-chrome-boots

From what I've read these are good for the money

Gaerne GX-1 http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/35853/i/gaerne-gx---1-boot

Sorry if this has been asked a lot but I'm a student and don't have loads of money so I want to get it right the first time.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
If you want good Kevlar jeans, look no further than Resurgence Gear. Rhok used to have the rights to use their Pekev liner, but now Resurgence Gear is keeping it for themselves.

They are very comfy too!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want good Kevlar jeans, look no further than Resurgence Gear. Rhok used to have the rights to use their Pekev liner, but now Resurgence Gear is keeping it for themselves.

They are very comfy too!!
Thanks, I will definitely look into those. $250 was a bit more than I was looking to spend though

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
For jackets i believe in leather only. Textile melts in slow crashes. Lol ask my wife.

·
Registered
914 Posts
For jackets i believe in leather only. Textile melts in slow crashes. Lol ask my wife.
Mine didn't, been down twice on the road in it, 1st time about 35, second time about 20 ( mph ) no holes either, just gave it a wash to get the dirt off and it's good to go. ( Alpinestar T-GP plus air )

For the OP look at the A-star Oxygen air overpants, they zip to the jacket you linked and the lower legs are thin enough to wrap around you ankle and get you MX boots OVER them.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Tourmaster at 15mph tore and melted the forarms to nothing but pad that fell out. Joerocket @45 short slide melted the back off and actually glued the textile to my wifes back. She had to have it scrubbed out. Fieldsheer leather....60mph highside. Minor scuffs. I actually donated that jacket to someone on here. A* leather jacket. 45mph and 60+. My wife still uses it and you can hardly tell it was down. For the extra, id pony up for leather. Get a good ventilated leather jacket and u will have no issues in summer, good liner and windbreaker winter. Just my opinion lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine didn't, been down twice on the road in it, 1st time about 35, second time about 20 ( mph ) no holes either, just gave it a wash to get the dirt off and it's good to go. ( Alpinestar T-GP plus air )

For the OP look at the A-star Oxygen air overpants, they zip to the jacket you linked and the lower legs are thin enough to wrap around you ankle and get you MX boots OVER them.
How do you like the T-GP plus air jacket? It looks pretty similar to the viper air and I was trying to figure out the differences.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I also have the T-GP Plus and I love it. There is no liner for colder weather. The Viper has a liner. I've never seen the Viper, but if it has a liner and is still cheaper, it might not be as good, but on the other hand, it might be the better value....

The T-GP Plus is great on the hot days (mine's black and it's still comfy in the sun) because of the venting. That said, riding this fall, I was cold. I'm looking for a second jacket for spring and fall riding.

·
Registered
914 Posts
How do you like the T-GP plus air jacket? It looks pretty similar to the viper air and I was trying to figure out the differences.
I love it, It get's REALLY hot here in the summer at times, air flow is fantastic as long as you are moving. I got the White/black/red trim one to help the sun beating down on me, I also like a bit better visibility than all black. No liner so you'll need to layer to stay warm if it is even chilly out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts