SuperMoto Junkie banner

What do you think? KX500

7K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  alonzo 
#1 ·
93 KX500 with valid street title,1700 bucks. Includes forks, triple clamps, steering stem, axles, swingarm, shock, all brake parts, wheels, tires, etc from a 97 Yamaha YZF1000R to sumo it out. I know the conversion will be a bitch, but i'm definitely psyched about this bike. Just waiting on a phone call back, hopefully i'll have it by this weekend! :arsenal

See less See more
#3 ·
You have the makings of a great Sumo there.

Few questions to ask yourself before starting, I base these on things I have learned from projects. Not trying to dissuade you from doing this nor am I doubting your abilities please understand. :)

Bike is being sold with all the Sumo goodies. Why? Did the seller start the project and hit some kind of wall? Could be that he just lost interest or is that he discovered something that could not be easily (read: cheaply) solved?

You are aware the reliability reputation that KX5's have? I love green and wanted a KX5 over a CR5 originally. After much research I opted for the honda.

What is your budget? Take it and double it. That is generally what happens during projects. Unforeseen expenses and "must haves" pop up.

#5 ·
Ah so you've seen the bike in person? I really want a CR500, but the whole street title on the KX5 seemed like the better choice. I've found a CR for a better price, but i just don't know how i'm going to get it on the street. Appreciate the advice guys, i'm just really itchin to get back on two wheels.

#6 ·
i think as long as your being realistic about how much the rest is gonna cost. by the time youve checked the motor, powdercoated the frame and all the swearing you'll be doing while fitting the wheels, you may be able to just go out and buy a kx which has had all that work done to it

#10 ·
yeah those came off and I went for the bad ass devil smoking cigar theme. One on each side, one infront of a cross on the front "number plate" and these hot big boobie devil girls on the fork protectors & a badass wolf on the tail (cause my last name is Wolf) :arsenal

also it came with the Nstyle seat cover just not installed. I bought a Guts soft foam seat for it and put the nstyle cover on it to finish off the look as well as doing the R1 tail instead of the acerbis one that sticks out like a man at half chub from the back of the bike

its sweet cause if you look they make the devil dudes in a Right and Left sticker so they are both facing forward, looks better than one sticker going opposite directions..

almost forgot i installed sealed lead acid battery went to using DC instead of AC on electronics, added a trail tech vapor & installed a key that does both the battery on/off & the ignition

#11 ·
It's hard to put a value on that street title, depending on where you live it might cost you upwards of $600-$700 dollars to get one for an MX bike.

I would say that as long as the bike is all there mechanically, and 90% of what you need to SuMo it is already there, I'd go for it. For the cool factor alone! Yeah, there might be other supermotos on the street in your town, but how many KX500 two stroke supermoto bikes have you seen ripping down the street? You could be the true 0.00001%er!

Here's a pic of my friends KX500 that we're doing up for the track. I fitted the wheels on the stock forks and swingarm, the rest is up to him!

#13 ·
Well, the guy owns his own bike shop, so you know how that goes :rolleyes:. He has spent most of the summer thus far tripping over it while working on customer's bikes. Knowing him like I do, he probably won't touch it until the busy season slows down, so I don't expect to see it on the pavement until spring of 09. Glad I broke my ass getting the wheels done for him!!:laughingr

#21 ·
The KX 500 is impossible to ride w/o being a hooligan....so be prepared to lose your license after 1 month of riding ;)...stay off the hwy and you'll be fine. Here's my old track bike which I still miss alot.....62 rwhp and will power wheely in any gear...ok, a little bit of clutch for 5th :thumbup: Here's some picts.... I changed fenders etc....amongst other mod's....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.