SuperMoto Junkie banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
First off love the 2006 625 she's hot with them twins :) . I have a KTM 500 and as I love the shit out of it I should have got the 250cc, just so I could have thrown it about a bit more and not it throw me lol. so I would say get the 250 as you all ready have a big one but having a road legal 250 coz it could come in handy and you have the best of both worlds and no need to look over your shoulder if you stray on to a road now and then. Happy riding buddy

·
Registered
69 Posts
So that's kinda what I'm thinkin. The 250 is not road legal though, it's a two stroke. Is there any way at all to register a two stroke for the road? I've been reading on it but not finding much info..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have seen others trying to do the same thing it's very hard to get one registered so most people get one allredy road legal, so save ya self the stress and head work and look for a road legal one. By the time you spend a load of money getting one road legal you could have got ya self one and had a lot more bikes to choose from to

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yea I think I'm gunna try to go for the rm as it's 7 years newer. I'm going to try to take a look at both in the next few days hopefully that will make the choice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Starting a What bike should i buy super thread to help clean things up a bit. Please be as detailed as possible so the other forum members can help you out. Also please stay as close to this format as possible to keep it neat.

How much do you want to spend?

What kind of riding do you do? IE. commuting some highway, all back roads, 50/50 dirt/street, some track, all track

What kind of riding experience do you have?

Do you do your own maintenance?

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate?
I Don't want to spend over 4,000.
All Street with a little gravel etc occasionally, Short highway runs <10 miles, Lots of wheelies and hooning and some jumping.
A little track riding experience on an 02 fz1 and many years of riding street and dirt.
I do my own maintenance but don't like doing it.
I'm looking for the longest maintenance intervals and a bike that can take a beating.
Should I tard a wr450? or stick to the drz400sm? Bike will be ridden only on the street. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
510 Posts
With that budget you'll be hard pressed to find anything other than a DR-Z...that being said, you might get lucky and find an older, already tarded WR400/450.

The general rule is, the more power more fun=more maintenance intensive.

I'm not saying you wouldn't have fun on a DR-Z, just not as much as something lighter and more powerful.

Good luck with the search and be patient, some gems show up, you just have to be ready for them when they do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
With that budget you'll be hard pressed to find anything other than a DR-Z...that being said, you might get lucky and find an older, already tarded WR400/450.

The general rule is, the more power more fun=more maintenance intensive.

I'm not saying you wouldn't have fun on a DR-Z, just not as much as something lighter and more powerful.

Good luck with the search and be patient, some gems show up, you just have to be ready for them when they do.
I find 07+ wr450's for 3k. Would it be worth buying one, plating it(easy i'm in michigan) and slowly tarding it or just buying a DRZ400sm and being done.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Are the sm610's any good? There's one an hour away with 2k miles on the clock

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/4826717346.html
The ones I've seen locally weren't something I'd want to own. I've had personal experience with four of them and they all had footpegs that either fell off during riding or were loose and barely hanging on by a thread (amongst other things). I'm just not a fan of them, but other people seem to like them...just nobody that I know around here lol.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Seems that just about any Euro bike needs a little more TLC than your average Japanese equivalent. I had a 2008 SM510R which was one of my all time favorite bikes after adding the factory power up kit(ran like shit stock). I think that 610 is priced great for the mileage and would have a look at it for sure. My current bikes are both Euro's. When I first got my 690(used) it had several issues. Most were simple maintainence needs that had been overlooked. Once I got it sorted it's been great. Recently got an RXV550 and finished converting it for supermoto. Again, it had some issues that needed sorting, but nothing major. Euro bikes will cost you a little more time and money to own.

Comparing the bikes you listed in stock form. Figures are from google, so close-ish.
SM610R 50hp/38tq 340lbs
DRZ400SM 34hp/25tq 319lbs
WR450F 44hp/30tq 273lbs
There is probably an easy 5hp in each bike with an exhaust and fueling change. How much weight a bike can lose can be not much or a shit load.

I took 30lbs off my 690 with a full exhaust swap and a Ballistic battery. Stock spec says 63hp/48tq 361lbs. I personally think the power numbers may be a bit high for stock but ballpark as it is now. I weighed it at an even 330 with about 3/4 tank of fuel. it's an easy 50lbs heavier than my 550 but you only notice it offroad or at the end of a long day. And even then it doesn't feel like a huge difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Inspiring supermoto

Hi everyone-
been riding for a little over a year now, 18 years old. I bought my first bike at 17 off my dad, a 2010 Triumph Street triple.
As I have been riding more i have been wanting to get onto a supermoto.

The opportunity has come up to buy a 2008 TT-R230.

I know what kind of work would need to be done to get it road legal but does anyone have advice on how good it is for riding around town. My triumph is obviously a start and go kind of bike, never need to worry about anything. I would not be traveling more than 20 miles at a time.

Maybe this is all a stupid question, but i truly do not know much about doing a street build out of a dirt bike and how well it will operate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi everyone-
been riding for a little over a year now, 18 years old. I bought my first bike at 17 off my dad, a 2010 Triumph Street triple.
As I have been riding more i have been wanting to get onto a supermoto.

The opportunity has come up to buy a 2008 TT-R230.

I know what kind of work would need to be done to get it road legal but does anyone have advice on how good it is for riding around town. My triumph is obviously a start and go kind of bike, never need to worry about anything. I would not be traveling more than 20 miles at a time.

Maybe this is all a stupid question, but i truly do not know much about doing a street build out of a dirt bike and how well it will operate.
wow this thread got a bit neglected
anyways not sure if you go that TT-R 230 but if you did you are probably hating your life right about now.

That TT-R is going to be super underpowered for almost anyone on the street. You mentioned around town and if you plan on just using it only as a off road scooter then it may fit the bill. I wouldn’t worry about making it crazy street oriented. Just the legal requirements. Keep some knobbies on it for when you want to put around the back way through some trails.

if you’re selling your triumph for this, don’t.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much do you want to spend? 6-7k

What kind of riding do you do? Commuting, urban exploring, offroad. Will be everyday bike replacement.

What kind of riding experience do you have? Grew up in bush on dirt bikes. Ride road every day for last 3 years. Track days every couple months.

Do you do your own maintenance? Yes

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? 3-5000km (1.8-3100 miles). Service my track bike every 300km so would rather not be adding a large maint schedule to another bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How much do you want to spend? 6-7k

What kind of riding do you do? Commuting, urban exploring, offroad. Will be everyday bike replacement.

What kind of riding experience do you have? Grew up in bush on dirt bikes. Ride road every day for last 3 years. Track days every couple months.

Do you do your own maintenance? Yes

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? 3-5000km (1.8-3100 miles). Service my track bike every 300km so would rather not be adding a large maint schedule to another bike.
WR450F if you're doing offroad too. 690SMC if not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How much do you want to spend? No more than $4000. I'm looking to buy a second hand supermoto.

What kind of riding do you do? I do 15 miles a day, every day. About half of it are just straight up driving at 55 mph, then going slow through traffic and filtering. Once or twice a year I'm going to do a 400 km trip.

What kind of riding experience do you have? I've been riding motorcycles for 3 years.

Do you do your own maintenance? Yes, I do.

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? The least maintenance I do, the happier I am.

Other notes: I want a supermoto that is sport-ish and aggressive, not more of a cruiser like the Honda FMX 650.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
How much do you want to spend? No more than $4000. I'm looking to buy a second hand supermoto.

What kind of riding do you do? I do 15 miles a day, every day. About half of it are just straight up driving at 55 mph, then going slow through traffic and filtering. Once or twice a year I'm going to do a 400 km trip.

What kind of riding experience do you have? I've been riding motorcycles for 3 years.

Do you do your own maintenance? Yes, I do.

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? The least maintenance I do, the happier I am.

Other notes: I want a supermoto that is sport-ish and aggressive, not more of a cruiser like the Honda FMX 650.
WR450. I do a 20 mile commute on mine daily and have done some 300+ mile rides. The maintenance has basically been oil changes, chain adjusts, and tires. Tons of parts availability since most everything interchanges with the YZ parts as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
WR450. I do a 20 mile commute on mine daily and have done some 300+ mile rides. The maintenance has basically been oil changes, chain adjusts, and tires. Tons of parts availability since most everything interchanges with the YZ parts as well.
Mhm, I see. What about speed, acceleration and such? Is it good?

Also, I was wondering how heavy is the bike?

61 - 80 of 116 Posts