SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Starting a What bike should i buy super thread to help clean things up a bit. Please be as detailed as possible so the other forum members can help you out. Also please stay as close to this format as possible to keep it neat.

How much do you want to spend?

What kind of riding do you do? IE. commuting some highway, all back roads, 50/50 dirt/street, some track, all track

What kind of riding experience do you have?

Do you do your own maintenance?

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate?

·
Registered
19 Posts
How much do you want to spend? 8k

What kind of riding do you do? Commuting, back roads exploring, dirt/gravel roads, mild offroad

What kind of riding experience do you have? Dirt bikes, been riding for 10 years off and on.

Do you do your own maintenance? yes

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? I'd like a normal road bike schedule, I don't want to be changing my oil every week.

I've been eye balling KTM 690 SMC's and Dukes. I currently ride a KX450f so I don't want to go down in power. I'm 6' 220 lbs in street clothes, seat height isn't a big deal. I can expand on any answers if I was too vague.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been eye balling KTM 690 SMC's and Dukes. I currently ride a KX450f so I don't want to go down in power. I'm 6' 220 lbs in street clothes, seat height isn't a big deal. I can expand on any answers if I was too vague.
I think you'll be plenty happy with a 690. The duke is a more street focused bike. I'm actually looking for a 690 SMC also. You shouldnt count out a good 625. They are great bikes.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Debating on a Husky 510 or a Husky 450. (open to other suggestions too)

I will be buying used. Trying to stay around 5k.

Currently have a CRF450R that is street legal....thinking about getting something that doesn't need so much maintenance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Awesome thread!

Used: ~$5500 New: ~$9500
Then let's go with one option with an unlimited budget!

What kind of riding do you do? Errands (will be a lot more fun); SOME dirt, SOME track (willing to have a spare wheel set for one or the other)

What kind of riding experience do you have? Plenty of dirt, track, and street riding, from a CR80 to a CBR1000 to a '67 Triumph bobber.

Do you do your own maintenance? I do, but would rather pay someone for big stuff, engine rebuilds or valve adjustments. Depends on cost v. effort. But I CAN do my own.

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? Would like to keep to street bike maintenance intervals ideally, but I know SM bikes aren't that simple. So I am willing to do more simple stuff, but don't want to be rebuilding engines every few months.

Thanks a million everyone!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You did, I was just really hoping someone else would chime in here because your just going to get the same opinions from me over and over. I would look at 690/625's if i were you. But hey i like orange bikes.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Debating on a Husky 510 or a Husky 450. (open to other suggestions too)

I will be buying used. Trying to stay around 5k.

Currently have a CRF450R that is street legal....thinking about getting something that doesn't need so much maintenance.
510's are great bikes. The maintenance is often but very easy. They get it. 08 got FI, 09's got dual pipes 2011 went to 511.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Help me out

I'm pretty much sold on a drz400 or dr650 as my Supermoto. It's going to be my everyday commuter where I plan to abuse it more than a red headed stepchild. I will be riding it to and from work and just around town. The question I really have is what is the difficulty when converting a dr650 or dr400 to a Supermoto and by that I mean where can I get rims? I wouldn't mind even buying a used pair. What fits the dr650 compared to the drz? Any information would help.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Warp nines are the easiest way to go. They're reasonably cheap. Go with the 400. They're lighter and faster ish.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Current bike: 2006 KTM 200 XCW (enduro)

Kind of riding I will do: Errands and possibly commuting to work a couple days a week. (commute is 12 - 15km. Can be highway or back roads)

Height: about 170-175cm (I think thats about 5"8)

Weight: 70kg (about 154lbs)

Looking at: 2013 / 2012 / 2011 690SMC (want a 2nd hand one if I can otherwise might have to save a little more for a new one - they're hard to find here)

Also seen a 2006 625 SMC but a bit worried about buying an older one (has about 11 000miles on it)

recommendations?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Awesome thread!

Used: ~$5500 New: ~$9500
Then let's go with one option with an unlimited budget!

What kind of riding do you do? Errands (will be a lot more fun); SOME dirt, SOME track (willing to have a spare wheel set for one or the other)

What kind of riding experience do you have? Plenty of dirt, track, and street riding, from a CR80 to a CBR1000 to a '67 Triumph bobber.

Do you do your own maintenance? I do, but would rather pay someone for big stuff, engine rebuilds or valve adjustments. Depends on cost v. effort. But I CAN do my own.

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? Would like to keep to street bike maintenance intervals ideally, but I know SM bikes aren't that simple. So I am willing to do more simple stuff, but don't want to be rebuilding engines every few months.

Thanks a million everyone!
You did, I was just really hoping someone else would chime in here because your just going to get the same opinions from me over and over. I would look at 690/625's if i were you. But hey i like orange bikes.
I'm pretty set on a newish KTM 500EXC, then I'll get the SM parts. I want to have a dirt set up anyway. What's the maintenance like on those bikes, same as a 625 or 690? I've read those are pretty easy on the maintenance schedule. I'll be riding often. Don't want it to nickel and dime me to death.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not a big poster because I got nothing to tell yet without a bike. To change that I'm looking for some tips.

Around 2.500 euros. (If it is worth 3.000 euros, NOT DOLLARS!)

What kind of riding do you do? IE. commuting some highway, all back roads, 50/50 dirt/street, some track, all track
Daily base to work is back road, to school is highway, and for fun dirt. So Im going to do everything except track racing. Range differs from 10km to 100km on a day.

Only 50cc bikes, but this isn't important. See the extra options below :p

Yes

Few months is okay, but not every few weeks. (Depends on how much time it takes.)

New or used?
Definitly new

Before going on here I want to explain something about the dutch motor license. Here is how and what. We got 3 different motor licenses. listed below:

A1 max 125cc and 11kw
A2 max 600cc and 25kw (not sure about the 600cc tough)
A unlimited/all bikes

How can you get those?

A1 at 18 years -> A2 at 20 years -> A at 22 years
A2 at 20 years -> A at 22 years
A at 24 years

I'm currently 18 so I need to limit it to A1/125cc

Maximum CC?
it is easy to see that I'm allowed to drive 125cc. How much Kw isn't important because I can turn it back. (More is better, I can drive on it after I got my A2 license without buying a new bike)

What brand?
I do love Yamaha but I heard the 125cc aren't going any higher than 90/100km/h. Also it is to expensive to buy a new one. so it is out of range. Brands like Husqvarna are really good (I do love them because of the chainsaws wich are high quality :p) and aren't as expensive as Yamaha. (Still 4K is over my budget)

There has to be a dealer in the Netherlands!

Anybody got a option? :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
@taronyu

You can´t really get any new bike for your use with that budges, that is unless bikes in Netherlands are extremely cheap.

Yamaha WR 125 R is a bike you can use on road and a bit off-road, it does 125 km/h, has low maintenance and high quality. Husqvarna has some 125´s as well, but the i´d get the Yamaha though. Keep in mind that the Yamaha is a pretty high bike. If you want power, you need a 2-stroke, 2-strokes has 30% better power/weight ratio than 4-strokes, but needs a lot of love to keep going if you have a high power one (Like KTM exc 125 and Husqvarna CR/WR 125). Husqvarna does have a decent 2-stroke that is pretty reliable, called Husqvarna SMS 125, but it does not come with multi-purpose tires.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I sold my 2006 WR450 supermoto and picked up a Husky SMR450 06.
I plan on going regularly to track (Once I get a way to transport the SMR)
So I want a bike I can just get on and ride, and use te SMR for it's true purpose :ride:
I don't want to downgrade in power though.

How much do you want to spend? 10k max
What kind of riding do you do? Backroads, nice short twisties. maybe a one off day trip with the old man
What kind of riding experience do you have? 4 years road, on/off dirt
Do you do your own maintenance? What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate.
Something similar to a DRZ

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looking to keep it cheap. Between $2500 and $4500

purely going to be a race machine. Both sm racing and road racing. Seeing i have little dirt experience I will want to take it out to practice a bit at the local mx park.

been road racing for 5 years, riding for on the street for about 10

Yes. Not afraid to drop a motor and not afraid to admit when im in over my head.

Ive been racing Honda road bikes where it was pretty much change the oil once or twice a season depending on how many weekends I did. The rest of the "maintenance" was performance upgrade.

no brand preference. have considered a 2 stroke but there seems to be few riders out there on 2 stroke supermotos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
what should i be looking for?

How much do you want to spend? 3-5k

What kind of riding do you do? commuting, some highway, twisties. (want to do more fire roads,slower speed wheelies)

What kind of riding experience do you have? Started on an '06 Ninja 500, currently ride a '12 Ninja 650

Do you do your own maintenance? Some, and i'm learning every day

What kind of maintenance intervals can you tolerate? Low maintenance, I've already got a girlfriend, i don't need something else that's high maintenance

Im a complete noob when it comes to super motos, All i know is that i want something street legal over 250cc but probably less than 600cc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
modified vs stock drz 400sm

So I have made up my mind on a drz 400sm for the usual reason. ie. reliability,parts low maintenance ect. I have been keeping an eye on the market around here and it seems like I can get one for between 4-5k. When buying a used dirt bike(motocross) I have always kept in mind some advice I heard a long time ago, find the cleanest stockest bike you can. However coming from a 250 two stroke to a stock drz I fear that it will lack the punch I am looking for.
For example I am looking at 3 bike right now. One is a totally stock 2008 with 3200 km on it for $4600. A 2009 with the 3x3, jet kit,some full yosh cabon fiber exhaust and a whole bunch of cosmetic stuff including yosh graphics , stobe headlight and some powder coating done to it here and there 8005km $5500. Another 2009 with the 3x3 mod, fmf full exhaust, jet kit, supermoto front fender with 13500km $5100.
They all look clean and once I spend the money on the bike I think dropping money into mods might not make the wife too happy, although I know the jet kit and 3x3 mod are cheap but that factory exhaust is huge and ugly.
Thanks any input would be appreciated Cheers just pin it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Will try keep this short. Wife hates bikes so naturally Im buying one :) First bike. So option A - Look for a tidy drz or option B - 450 exc? Its set up for enduro right now but with road plates. What extra work would it take for sm setup? Just wheels? Gearing too?
All advice appreciated

Not pushed on price.

Clueless with maintenance.

Using it for street riding 90% of the time

First bike

EXC I seen is spotless with 2 wheelsets(both dirt) and lots of extras

Looking for most fun and least amount of problems

1 - 20 of 116 Posts