SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i have a 2009 KX250F that i use to ride tracks and trails every weekend and more during summer break. With the gas prices already going way up I can hardly afford paying for gas for my gas-chugging jeep wrangler so my parents decided i might be able to license it. Though it wouldnt really save me anything it would be fun. The saving gas is more of an excuse to pull the trigger than anything, that and it would be hella fun to zip around on my mx to school and lunch.

So a few questions

Would it be a good idea to get it street legal (i would have different sets of wheels and tires so the swap would be easier) or should i just save up (i have about 1300 i could spend right now) and buy a bike for it off c list or something?

If i did decide to license it, is there a kit (cant find one) that would help me achieve it? I would like blinkers but i need a tail light, headlight, new set of street tires/wheels with sprocket/disc brake and a mirror.

And will my FMF powercore 4 be quite enough if you have any idea?

Last one, I feel like there would be a tail light/license plate holder that i could bolt on to my rear fender. If there is one lemme know!

Thanks!

Edit: I would be using it from school and back (its a mile away) and just around so not any long trips, max speed would be 50ish so i dont need a huge bike or anything. I also am not worried about how comfy it is either. There wont be any highway either i might be looking into a street bike if they were as maneuverable as a dirt bike because the way the people drive around me is ridiculous. Ive seen people smoking, drinking coffee, reading, and driving all at the same time before and just today i saw a firetruck that went to do a U-turn in one of those emergency access turn around on the highway and got rear-ended by not one, not two, but three idiots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I decided to do the same to my 03 KTM SX 450, First off requirments are alot different between states so I first called the DMV to see if I would be able to change my title to a street legal title, the lady asked a few questions about my bike and said i'd be able to I'd just need to get it to pass inspection. There is a post in the steet tard forum that will tell you each states requirments. As far as the bike setup goes I bought a sm wheel set so I could swap wheels around and bought a Acerbis headlight and Tailight that you can mount a liscense plate to it, i'm not going to run turn signals. I believe baja design makes a full steet legal light kit but for a MX type bike to run a light kit you have to get a new stator kit that generates more power I think its got to be 100watts or something, Trail Tech makes a nice stator kit, I'm sure they have one for a KX. In Utah there is no dB level you have to meet with a silencer. After doing all this work to get it street legal having two bikes for each purpose would really be nice if you got the money to throw down. Good luck on the build.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to do the same to my 03 KTM SX 450, First off requirments are alot different between states so I first called the DMV to see if I would be able to change my title to a street legal title, the lady asked a few questions about my bike and said i'd be able to I'd just need to get it to pass inspection. There is a post in the steet tard forum that will tell you each states requirments. As far as the bike setup goes I bought a sm wheel set so I could swap wheels around and bought a Acerbis headlight and Tailight that you can mount a liscense plate to it, i'm not going to run turn signals. I believe baja design makes a full steet legal light kit but for a MX type bike to run a light kit you have to get a new stator kit that generates more power I think its got to be 100watts or something, Trail Tech makes a nice stator kit, I'm sure they have one for a KX. In Utah there is no dB level you have to meet with a silencer. After doing all this work to get it street legal having two bikes for each purpose would really be nice if you got the money to throw down. Good luck on the build.
Yea i need lights and a mirror for it to be street legal. I always leave out the stator too haha.

do you have a street title so you can get registration and plate?
I cant get plates until its street legal can I? And Im not sure about the title.. all i really know about that is my dad is the legal owner of it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you're commute is that short (and the drivers are that bad), it'd probably still be a LOT cheaper to just keep driving the wrangler:

- you're looking at like $1500+ for the supermoto/street-legal conversion, plus constant oil/filters/other maintenance/insurance/registration/time spent wrenching

- $1500 is a lot of gas-money and driving a couple miles a day would take a looong time to break even

Still, the gods seem to be on your side if your parents are okay with you riding
(took 2 years to convince my parents, and they still want me to sell it)
and don't know about the bad things a tard will make you do, I'd say GO FOR IT before they change their minds :thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're commute is that short (and the drivers are that bad), it'd probably still be a LOT cheaper to just keep driving the wrangler:

- you're looking at like $1500+ for the supermoto/street-legal conversion, plus constant oil/filters/other maintenance/insurance/registration/time spent wrenching

- $1500 is a lot of gas-money and driving a couple miles a day would take a looong time to break even

Still, the gods seem to be on your side if your parents are okay with you riding
(took 2 years to convince my parents, and they still want me to sell it)
and don't know about the bad things a tard will make you do, I'd say GO FOR IT before they change their minds :thumbup:
Well i drive to school and back 3 times a day due to an off period and lunch, and next year i will be going to a college campus that is 15-20 miles away for an auto tech class. I also have to drive 25 miles to practice 3 days a week so even though it wont do me that much good on gas for now, it will still be fun riding a motard on the street!

·
Registered
534 Posts
$1000 for a used 80-90s cruiser/standard? My friends have picked up quite a few nice bikes for $900-1000 that were comfy, fine looking and got 45-55mpg. I'm sure it's not the kind of information you're looking for but you don't really lose money on a bike like this since it's as low as it'll go anyway. Converting a 250f for daily commuting will just end up costing you more in the end.

10k miles @3.25 a gallon and 45mpg will save you around $700-900 compared to your jeep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$1000 for a used 80-90s cruiser/standard? My friends have picked up quite a few nice bikes for $900-1000 that were comfy, fine looking and got 45-55mpg. I'm sure it's not the kind of information you're looking for but you don't really lose money on a bike like this since it's as low as it'll go anyway. Converting a 250f for daily commuting will just end up costing you more in the end.

10k miles @3.25 a gallon and 45mpg will save you around $700-900 compared to your jeep.
I have been lookin around for a bike. And i wouldnt mind paying a little to be able to ride my dirtbike on the street. Also, gas is already at 3.38 by me, all the turmoil in the mideast is not helping haha

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well i drive to school and back 3 times a day due to an off period and lunch, and next year i will be going to a college campus that is 15-20 miles away for an auto tech class. I also have to drive 25 miles to practice 3 days a week so even though it wont do me that much good on gas for now, it will still be fun riding a motard on the street!
Hell yeah, as long as you know it's not going to be cheaper, you'll love every minute - it's a blast :bannana:

like others have suggested, though, take a look at whats up on craigslist.
Ninja 250s, 500s, sv50s, older dualsports, etc. Not as tossable as a 250 MX bike but would be better suited as streetbikes and probably end up being cheaper than the kx250 in the long-run.

Just food for thought

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hell yeah, as long as you know it's not going to be cheaper, you'll love every minute - it's a blast :bannana:

like others have suggested, though, take a look at whats up on craigslist.
Ninja 250s, 500s, sv50s, older dualsports, etc. Not as tossable as a 250 MX bike but would be better suited as streetbikes and probably end up being cheaper than the kx250 in the long-run.

Just food for thought
Yea im amazed at the pricing of some of these ninjas im finding, i thought they would be a lot more expensive haha. I dont think my mom will let me get a full blown street bike though and wouldnt the insurance be a lot more? Plus my 250 is already insured even for the street so ide be good to go as far as that. I really just need lights but i really want the tires cause im not gonna wear my dirt tires out.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sportsman set-up.
basically just put street tires on your regular 21/18 rims, not quite as agile or as aggressive-looking as 17s but it's a hell of a lot cheaper in case you decide you'd prefer something more comfortable or capable of longer distances
(you can always upgrade to 17s later down the road, keeping a lookout online for a good deal)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sportsman set-up.
basically just put street tires on your regular 21/18 rims, not quite as agile or as aggressive-looking as 17s but it's a hell of a lot cheaper in case you decide you'd prefer something more comfortable or capable of longer distances
(you can always upgrade to 17s later down the road, keeping a lookout online for a good deal)
I would do that, but then i would have to switch tires every 2 days which would be a pain

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't let anyone talk you into a more "appropriate" street bike! Lots of people, generally older folks with tighter backs and more ok most likely more common sense, will try to deter you from using a "super high maintenance" and "uncomfortable" mx bikes for daily use. I'll do whatever it takes to not ride a pig street bike around.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Don't let anyone talk you into a more "appropriate" street bike! Lots of people, generally older folks with tighter backs and more ok most likely more common sense, will try to deter you from using a "super high maintenance" and "uncomfortable" mx bikes for daily use. I'll do whatever it takes to not ride a pig street bike around.
Common sense and logic would also dictate that if you're goal is to save money on gas, putting a lot of hours on a 4 stroke mx bike is probably not the way to go about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Do you rebuild your own top ends?
My dad and i do. I dont plan on riding my bike every day, just something to save a little gas on and to have fun on.

Haha ya, im not looking for comfy im lookin for fun which will by far be on a dirt bike. Ya crotch rockets are cool and stuff but ide take a supermoto bike over it. And If i wanted something comfy i probably wouldnt be driving a wrangler :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Common sense and logic would also dictate that if you're goal is to save money on gas, putting a lot of hours on a 4 stroke mx bike is probably not the way to go about it.
Just to make it clear, i wont be putting a ton of hours on it, it will just be to ride from school and back two or three days a week, more for fun than to save gas really at this point. Saving gas is just my excuse. Plus I like working on my bike. My dad would probably help me out on parts when it goes down because he loves seeing me working on it, and he wouldnt want me to let it waste away and before someone starts a fight, yes I know a lot of people's dads would never pay for anything like this. I also have a kx100 that I used to ride until I outgrew it that my brothers now "ride" about once a year. I could license but that wouldnt be any better haha

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very true, but since he owns the bike already he can convert it for about the same price as a good reliable standard. And as for putting hours on it, it sounds like he rides it a lot like I do which is a super short commute (in the city in my case), with 30 or so mile joy rides probably just a few times a month, so the hours don't really stack up too bad.

I definitely agree that commuting 5 days a week like 10 miles+ each way on an mx conversion would be miserable and expensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very true, but since he owns the bike already he can convert it for about the same price as a good reliable standard. And as for putting hours on it, it sounds like he rides it a lot like I do which is a super short commute (in the city in my case), with 30 or so mile joy rides probably just a few times a month, so the hours don't really stack up too bad.

I definitely agree that commuting 5 days a week like 10 miles+ each way on an mx conversion would be miserable and expensive.
Ok i over exaggerated so i would know what the worst possible outcomes would be. It takes me 3 mins to get to school if i hit both the red lights, its probably not even a mile there and back, maybe but ide say its a little less i will watch my odometer next time. So basically im lookin at 3 miles total two or three or four days a week. And if i take it to go to lunch or something, then i will travel 7-10 miles max. Here in the bubble i have everything i need within 5 miles :lol:. I very rarely go more anywhere more than 10 (if 10) and if i do im getting on the highway which i wont go on riding a motorcycle because it is the bubble and you have a whole lot of idiots bunched together. I think it would be safer running in a stampede of cows to be honest. Anyway the reality is i will ride it about 3 miles a day less than half the week.

On another note, what would it take to get these to fit on my kx250f if they even will? http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2255382155.html I feel like it has to do with wheel spacers which i assume are what keeps the wheel centered in the forks/swing arm maybe?
Ive never really screwed with the wheels other than to put new tires on so i dont really know. Thanks again and thanks for all the input!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts