SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchuased a 2010 SMC 690 and when i bought it the dealer told me along with the akro pipe and map they put on a better air filter on it. Well need less to say i went to clean it the other day to find out it was the stock paper one. Im not sure which one i want to use either a UNI, KTM foam filter, or the K&N which i am kinda of weary about using on a bike. Also i have heard good things about this DNA filter which i have never heard of. Plus the bike likes to pop alittle bit on decel so alittle extra air to her wouldnt hurt. But what do you guys reccommend im not looking to pull the whole airbox or get max hp out of the bike or anything crazy i just want somthing that holds up good and allows some more air flow to the bike.

·
Registered
451 Posts
From what i have read on here and ADV RIDER, I think the flat K&N might flow very well and filter the air well too! Intune has dyno pages indicating the K&N flows better and makes more power than the KTM or UNI foam filters. However, I like the serviceability of the foam filters, being from the MX side of things! I know you wash the K&N too but I like the Foam filters. My best advice would be to get the paper filter out as long as your dealer Really downloaded the Akra map like he really upgraded your air filter!! The problem if the Akra map is not actually in the ECU and you have the stock mapping and you increase air flow, you start to get on the TOO lean side of things. Numerous of the guys on ADV RIDER had dust making it past the paper filter into the airbox somehow and their conclusion was that it was the paper filter. Good luck.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike has to have the akro map if it runs fine and the pipe is on the bike? Like i said except for alittle popping on decel once and awhile it runs fantastic. Plus i think a better air filter will cure that. As for the K&N filter im with you, i work at a bike shop and with offroad machines atleast we havent had good luck with them they let some stuff through the filter, but K&N might be ok on a street bike since you dont see as much dirt. I have a K&N on my truck an i really like it! Then on my dirt bikes i always run the UNI foam type filters which i never have a problem with them. Cleaning for either to me isnt bad i find they are both pretty easy so idk. I appreciate the input Thor :thumbup:. But keep it coming let me know what you guys are runnin filter wise and why

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
dont bother changing the filter unless youre gonna remove the complete airbox and change it for a pod filter..... the ktm one is just fine.... the evo1 lid will be the best option if you dont wanna take out the airbox my 2c

·
Registered
859 Posts
if you want to take out the airbox I have a k&n pod filter that some guys have been using and I'd let it go for half what I paid for it. It has been used on the bike for about 30 miles and is in perfect condition (i have a hole drilled in for mounting the IAT sensor.)

I don't use it because I now am running the EVO2 kit which uses a different style K&N pod filter.

PM me if interested.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Anytime Millertime! I have the KTM orange "foamie" because I got a good deal on it. It seems fine and I wash it every once in a while with my MX filters, no where near as often though! Unlike the MX filters, the KTM filter stays clean a long time since the bike lives on the streets!! One thing on installing it though, it can be tricky with getting the lid on. Some guys trim it but I just applied pressure and it seats fine. The UNI looks like the same exact filter but in a different color foam, I just saw a new UNI on ebay last week for $45, so keep and eye there for bargains!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I sm running the DNA filter very good just put evo 1 lid on and I hate the noise its to loud u can't hear my wings pipe now. Makes good power , but going back to stock lid with just the filter for peace and quiet . I just can not believe how much intake noise it makes with evo 1 lid

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've heard the same thing about the K&N filters flowing good but not filtering very well. I'm still running the OEM paper filter with several holes drilled through the snorkel. If you don't do anything to open up the snorkel you're wasting time with filter upgrades. Like you I am considering going to foam. Probably a DNA.

BTW. That popping on decel doesn't have anything to do with the filter. At least on mine it didn't. Removed the SAS on mine and the popping disappeared. The SAS lets some air into the exhaust path so excess fuel can burn and the OEM cat converter can do its thing.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If people don't think k&n filter well, then don't use dna or bmc either as they are the same thing.

Honestly a street bike k&n is fine. My AMA flat track racing friend uses a k&n and they run on dirt ovals, I believe all the flat track guys run k&n pods. Those races are dusty too. Just keep it clean.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm not trying to start a debate about what filter is the best but I don't think that a foam type filter is "the same" as a cotton/gauze type filter. Maybe you meant that their filtration capability is about the same. Some studies have shown that to be true when they are both oiled properly. For either of these filters to do their best at filtering they need to be oiled properly. Many people feel like it is much easier to clean and properly oil a foam type filter.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea i think i am kinda leaning towards the K&N filter because i have only heard of issues with them in offroad bikes not with on road bikes as long as you clean them regularly and oil them properly. Anyone actually running the stock type K&N filter not the pod one and any complaints about it?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i ended up going with the the K&N (stock shape) i havent had a chance to get on a good ride with it yet so i will put some input after today i am going out for a ride.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got a good ride on the bike with the new filter and im very happy with it! Since installing it i have noticed that throttle response has improved and it also cured the popping i got on heavy decel! Fitment was about the same as stock still a pain in the rear to get that cover on. The intake noise is very minor and i actually think it sounds good. Overall definately a good upgrade!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I sm running the DNA filter very good just put evo 1 lid on and I hate the noise its to loud u can't hear my wings pipe now. Makes good power , but going back to stock lid with just the filter for peace and quiet . I just can not believe how much intake noise it makes with evo 1 lid
You put the lid back on because of the intake noise? What about which way the bike runs best? I have the same setup that you were using now, and it’s not the intake that bothers me, it’s the pounding, or should I say hammering of the Wings exhaust in my left ear! I love the sound of the intake when heavy on the throttle in-between shifts. It’s had to describe, but you know when you hear it you’re in the groove. So sweet it sounds! Don’t get me wrong, I love the exhaust, but earplugs are the name of the game when I’m going to hammer it. In fact, that’s what the exhaust sounds like, a hammer. A pneumatic hammer! The intake is just a gulp sound to me….

·
Registered
451 Posts
I recently installed my EVO lid and you can really hear the intake now!! It is very noticeable. I have the orange KTM foam filter and am not happy about having to trim the rubber on the filter to fit the evo lid. I picked up a K&N to try out, should be here soon!! I am guessing the K&N may be even louder, I will let everyone here know when it gets here....today, I also removed the db reducer from my Wings pipe and it got soo loud that I could no longer hear the intake noise!!!! After a short ride, I put the db reducer back in.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thor450 did you get the stock shaped K&N filter or a pod type? Because if you got the stock shaped one thats the one i just installed on my bike and the intake noise is very minimal you only really hear it when you hit the throttle from a dead stop you will hear it sucking in air. I am running the stock shaped K&N with the stock filter houseing.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Millertime; I ordered the stock shaped K&N but I have the evo lid and it is loud. I am going to try and open up the stock lid to find a "happy medium" between it and the evo lid. I got some thick stainless mesh and will try and form it around the stock lid so it looks good!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ok, I got the flat K&N and it is a little bit quieter than the orange KTM foam filter. Even with the evo lid it is now tolerable and I think i'm calling it "good!"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts