SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=286113

Ok, not my bike, but I'm stuck at work with no pics of my baby, and curiosity is killing me. First let me give a little intro about what I'm working with. I will post pics ASAP.

Intro: So, I finally saved up enough money to buy a decent SM, not enough for a new one, but being located in Southern NM, there aren't a plethora of dealers of any kind laying around, so that's ok. Anywhoo, I found this http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1892536617.html, well, actually it was on Ebay for 4500 when I found it, and the guy is located about 3 hours from me. So, I was instantly smitten, I've had a crush on KTM for years now, but never had any chances to get one. The bike had 578 miles on the odo when I got it, although, how many it had before the odo was put on it.....Idk. The seller was the second owner, said the Original guy was in WA, took it to the dealer, had them do all the conversion. Anyways, the bike was even more beautiful in person, and $4000 later, I was a happy man. (Even got pulled over 15 minutes into owning it for wheelying through a local park.)

So, I noticed right off the bat that the clutch was not performing up to par. Learned right here on SMJ the two common probs, bleeding it didn't help, so I took it to a local shop with a good reputation from people I respect. Guy said it needed a new clutch probably. So I contacted the seller, who promptly gave me $250 to buy one. Got it put on, and BOOM, perfect. Guy said the problem was (showed me as well), some asshole put all two mm plates in there, so the clutch couldn't disengage. So I slapped 14/45 gearing on, it had 13/48 when I got it, and wheely-ed into the sunset w/out a care in the world. (Well some cares, the mechanic said that someone had obviously pulled of the clutch and stator cover, and used a silicon of some sort rather than replace the gaskets.)

The Problem: Everything was HunkyDory for about three days, until the other day when I noticed a build up of oil all over my shifter, front sprocket, and stator cover...I know it was motor oil b/c it was full after I picked it up from the clutch fiasco, and three days later, was almost bone-dry. Well upon closer inspection I noticed that it was coming out of the little thing above, and to the front of the front sprocket. shown in the image above. My question, while I wait for my service manual to come in the mail....wtf is that thing? I am a complete mechanical ruhtard, so any info will be good info. I know that on mine, the problem (probably) is that on that mystery thingamabobber, it looks again like someone ghetto rigged a gasket, and it's dripping out of the bottom. It seems primarily to do it most when I'm riding.

Again, sorry no pics of my actual bike. But mine is the 510cc RFS. And sorry for the book, but I figure better too much than too little eh?
Also, I know there are some serious sticklers on here about thread placement, so do me a favor, if you don't like where this is, gimme a link where you want it. Don't just go off on me for my irresponsible thread placing please.lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol. No, not the filter. Although, I wouldn't put a mistake like that past me.

No, I was referring to the little grey thing below the oil filter. It shares a bolt with the sprocket guard. It also has what appears to be a hydraulic bleeder (not in this pic, but when you remove the rubber cover on mine.) On my bike, on the rubber cover it says "Oil", but that didn't help me. I guess the main reason I'm curious, is so that I know what I'm ordering a new gasket for.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,598 Posts
the "thing" in front of your front sprocket is the clutch slave cylinder. it's a piston you control with your clutch lever to disengage the clutch.

chances are if the previous owner messed with the clutch he might also have removed the slave cylinder, if he didn't remount the slave with a proper gasket that can start leaking. I hope he didn't put silicone around that area as it can interfere with the proper workings of the slave cylinder if your unlucky.

check the tension on the 3 bolts first of the slave first, they may be loose causing it to leak. be carefull not to overtighten them!

if the tension checks out but it's still leaking you're gonne have to remove the slave and check if they used the right gasket. if they didn't and used silicone stuff instead, clean everything off, get the proper gasket, reinstall the slave and hope for the best.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top