SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY Got me a sumo. After almost exactly 7 years to the day since my bad accident on my streetbike, I picked up an '05 KTM 525 EXC from a guy in the next town over. It's actually the first bike aside from a few DRZs thats been for slae in my area, and it just worked out perfect.
Here she is:

ImageShack.us

Sorry for the few random pics, these were a few I took when I first looked at the bike, and it was too dak for better ones tonight. I'll get alot more good ones tomorrow.

Like I said, its an 05, 4000 miles, I;m not exactly sure what wheels they are, but I believe they may be Hard Parts pieces, can anybody help me on this, havent seen any writing on them.
1 1/8 bars on top of a GPR V2 stabilizer with BONZ handguard mounts, nice comfy EE seat, rear axle sliders (need a set for the front now) along with nifty handguard end sliders. Trick dual sport lighting/dash setup with odo and speedo. I know you cant see, but it also has an EE clutch slave cylinder guard on the other side.
Along with the bike, the dude gave me a brand new Barking 320 rotor with the sweet orange KTM carrier, an orange SuMo fender to replace the gangly stocker, another set of black fork guards, 2 sets of both oil filters, the original KTM bag for the manuals, with all the original manuals, bike/engine parts catalogs, suspension manual, and receipts for all the goodies. (That trick dual sport setup was over $450 alone!!!) Dont wanna know what the stabilizer and bar mounts cost, but Im glad I got them on it now.
I paid $3800 wich may be a bit high for the rest of the country, but for around here is actually a really good price, and even if it wasnt, I got it now, and thats all that matters baby!!!

Whaddya think???

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HAHA, I know it brotha! Now, I just need a few things. I gotta get a caliper relocator, so I can toss on this Braking rotor. (I knew I shoulda picked up that orange Berringer jobber that I saw on Ebay for like 100 bucks.:rant:) Switch out that front fender, get or make some sliders for the front axle, and give this girl an oil change and valve check.
Also, I need to check out the kickstand, as it went beyond regular placement when I wen to put it down when I got home, here's hoping it's just a few loose bolts.:hmmm:

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Congrats on the new whip. She a beauty too.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Nice bike. How bad are the maintenance intervals on the EXC? They have a 6 sp wide ratio trans, so it should be good for the street:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
HUGE congrats Matty! The 525 is IMHO the best street tard there is. Maintenance is no worse than a DRZ if both are being ridden hard, and maintained properly. That thing is all tricked out too, sweet. Now bring your ass down here before it gets cold for some riding, fall rally is coming up Oct 6-9th.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HUGE congrats Matty! The 525 is IMHO the best street tard there is. Maintenance is no worse than a DRZ if both are being ridden hard, and maintained properly. That thing is all tricked out too, sweet. Now bring your ass down here before it gets cold for some riding, fall rally is coming up Oct 6-9th.
Thanks bro, actually, I just foun.d out I put in for vacation iin Sept, so I'm taking off for the fall rally. Since I never got that way with my fiddy, I'm pumped about coming down on the sumo. Hopefully I get some miles under my belt aand get all the rust out of my system quick. Dnt wanna be the guy holding eveybody up down there.:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Thanks bro, actually, I just foun.d out I put in for vacation iin Sept, so I'm taking off for the fall rally. Since I never got that way with my fiddy, I'm pumped about coming down on the sumo. Hopefully I get some miles under my belt aand get all the rust out of my system quick. Dnt wanna be the guy holding eveybody up down there.:rolleyes2:
Oh hell yeah :bannana: You'll be fine, it'll all come right back to you pretty quick. Don't even worry about that, group rides aren't about going fast, it's about hanging out with friends and just having a good time.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Well said ..:thumbup:
Thanks Mike. As you well know, I'll be the first to move over and wave the pack by, even on roads I've ridden my whole life if I'm not feeling it (or bought shitty tires :lol:). Ego will only take you far enough to reach the nearest trauma center.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on the new whip. She a beauty too.:thumbup:
Thanks man, I like her. :D
Craig, as far as I've read, its oil every 3-500 and valve checks every 1000. That seems a bit often for how reliable I've heard that these motors are, but I guess ill see when I start checking. Not a problem for me. I don't mind service, and these valves are super easy to check. No shims involved. And the trans is definitely set up fr cruising. I hafta double check the sprockets, but just drivingit home, I was cruising in 3 and 4th at around 50 with tooooons more gear in it, so highway should be a breeze. I may actually have to go a bit lower for the rally.
Randy, I'm not really worried about being slow. I'm like you, no problem going at my own pace, and I usually like to keep to the rear anyway. Its just getting over the block of not hving ridden in so long becaue of such a huge off, and the constant knowledge that the slightest little fuckup can have absolutely catastrophic consequences.
Oh well, this is the therapy I've been needing, so I might as well get used to the shrink and open myself up to her. :thumbup:

BTW, how the hell do you quote multiple posts in a reply???:headscrat

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Nice ride! (I've got the same one)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice ride! (I've got the same one)
Thanks bro, how do you like it? Anything I should keep an eye on on these bikes in particular?

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Randy, I'm not really worried about being slow. I'm like you, no problem going at my own pace, and I usually like to keep to the rear anyway. Its just getting over the block of not hving ridden in so long becaue of such a huge off, and the constant knowledge that the slightest little fuckup can have absolutely catastrophic consequences.
Oh well, this is the therapy I've been needing, so I might as well get used to the shrink and open myself up to her. :thumbup:

BTW, how the hell do you quote multiple posts in a reply???:headscrat
Yeah, I remember that from the FL days, still sends chills down my spine thinking about it. It took me ten years, and some advice from a friend to get back on a street bike after losing some friends. I really didn't know I missed it so much it had been so long. I've had so much fun and made so many memories with some great folks, rolled 14,000 miles the other day.

You hit the little + button in the far right bottom corner of each post you want to quote.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts