SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at some point the previous owner used different bolts to attach the front right fairing on my 2008 DRZ400SM (White). Well when I went to put them back on after working on the bike I mixed them up and put a small hole in the fuel tank where the top bolt goes. Needless to say the bolt was too long and with how thin the tank is I never noticed until I filled up today.

So is there a way to repair my tank? I don't really want to get an aftermarket plastic one nor do I feel like spending $650 for a new OEM tank.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
sand or grind to bear metal 3/8" around hole - clean real good around hole then - JB Weld it -- let dry- your done -

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sand or grind to bear metal 3/8" around hole - clean real good around hole then - JB Weld it -- let dry- your done -
A friend suggested this too. However they have many products on their website. Which one would work best considering the contact with gasoline and the vibrations of all that we put these bikes through?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Take it to a welder that is proficient in welding thin metal. It takes a certain skill set to weld on thin wall gas tanks. The folks that are usually best at this are people who deal with welding body panels on cars.....JB Weld is something I would consider in an emergency, not something I would consider as a long term fix.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
to bad your picture of hole in tank did not show up - so we would know exactly what you are talking about --

If you punched a hole in the tank where the nuts / tabs are spot welded that hold the radiator shroud on then welding the hole would have to be brazed -
Lots of paint damage -- pain in the ass - has to be Very Clean -

If you tore a seam on one of the tabs that holds the nut then it would be a easy tig weld - maybe minimal visible paint damage --

For 10 years I was a custom motorcycle painter and have welded hundreds of hole in tanks -
I have both a tig and gas welder in my garage - used both of them tonight - completed 3 welding schools -

If I had a hole like I think you have-( Round Hole behind nut ) I would use JB weld on it - instead if going threw all the hassle of welding / brazing --
No need - its not a pressure vessel and gasoline dose not harm JB weld- if done even close to properly it wont leak --

stock JB Weld will seal the hole ( get the 24 hour dry time) - wash out tank with soapy water and clean area well - dry completely --
trick to JB weld is to clean repair area Well and MIX JB weld Completely -

put some candle wax on threads of bolt (release agent) -- -screw in correct bolt to proper depth -
fill damage area with JB weld - work in thoroughly- let dry Completely -
(have gas tank cap off during whole repair )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright well I made some calls this morning and was refereed to Tony Morehouse (www.tonymorehouse.com). Brought him the tank and a few hours later it was all done. He did end up cutting the tab above the hole to access the damage. welded the hole and the tab back like new. He even primed it for me. :bannana::bannana:

Before: http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b491/TacticalMinnow/20130527_151119_zpsd2904bb3.jpg

After: http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b491/TacticalMinnow/20130528_161358_zpsdf6d2160.jpg

Thank you everyone for your input!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts