SuperMoto Junkie banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
glory for all that ride motards !!!

what size rims and hubs do i need for xr650r sumo setup people?? 17inch / 41/2inch ??

oh just another note :) my tard just got a new quicksilver elbrock pumper carbi, full madhatter sticker kit, one industry's seat cover, pro taper gold bars, carbon fiber bark busters and head light, upgrade to super heavy duty springs, fmf race headers just have to look for a fmf can they are really exxy so i have to wait :) oh and stage two cams wooot wooot! will post the pic's of her in the next few day i have the dirt rims and tyres on her this weekend for a play with the boys so i can hook up some snaps in the next few days. :Funny::nutkick:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an issue with shifting that has wreaked havoc on my SM riding since I started. When I'm getting on the gas hard coming out of turns or on straights and the engine is revving out-especially from 3rd to 4th-the tranny will pop out of 4th back to 3rd. It happened on my 04 CRF450 and now on my 07 CRF450. My new bike has had the transmission completely taken apart and all the rough edges cleaned up (in one of those tumbler machines) so that everything is smooth. I still have the problem. When I try to clutch it a little bit more to make sure it goes into gear I sometimes get squirrely because I keep the gas on and the revs up (it gets a little hairy).

Now, I do want to clarify that I have the problem much more with shorter gearing like 13/48 compared to some of the faster tracks where I run like a 14/47 or something like that. I get that the shorter gearing would obviously magnify the issue so...

I'm pretty sure it's a Honda thing. Is there some super secret trick the pros and the super mechanics know about or do I just need to run the taller gearing and change my riding style to adapt to that?

I built my bike for consistency, so it has power but not so much so that it will blow up all the time. If I have to run the taller gearing, i might be losing to other riders coming out of the turns. Anyway, I don't know if this requires a new thread, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm not the only person out there with this problem.

It doesn't happen to me in the dirt either, so I know it's got something to do with the extra grip of the asphalt or the transkanuder valving or those muffler bearings Hoffman is always blathering about

·
Registered
428 Posts
Gary,

I just wanted to let you know I just got my Trachy357 video and it's awesome. I'm just getting ready to do my first track day and it's amazing how much your video covers and how much sense it all makes. Really, if anyone is looking for help with bike setup, lines, starts, passing, throttle control, and so forth, check out the vid. I'll be watching it again tonight. Great job! :thumbup:

Thanks,

-Mike

·
Registered
442 Posts
Do I have jetting issue's? Supertrap exhaust/slipon the stock pipe header and pipe, 3x3 mod. Now she pops and bangs while down shifting, and leveling off MPH at crusing speeds, she seems like its staving for gas? Do I need jetting because of the DIY mods?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gary I'm a new owner of a 08 WRX with ??'s about setting up front and rear suspension. I have no idea if the original settings have been changed, but with only 200 miles on Her I tend to believe not. I've never done anything suspension-wise with any bikes other than installing new shocks.My riding is exclusively street ripping/commuting .I'm 6ft-165lbs and I ride some-what agressive. I have a shop manual to lead me thru the procedures and a good amount of mechanic tools. Are there any specialty tools needed ? How do I know what's the right settings F&R ? What are the different type of settings and what do they actually mean? Preload ? What should I be looking for while riding to determine any changes? I know it's alot of ??'s but I'd like to get a little more knowledge so I can get the most outa Her ! Thanx DJ in NYC 09

·
Registered
160 Posts
I thought I'd refine my ??'s a little. With the info I posted about my needs above,as far as 'Spring Preload', there isn't anything I should have to do(new bike-stock setting) ? How do I know when the 'Compression' and 'Rebound' dampening are right for my set-up ?

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I thought I'd refine my ??'s a little. With the info I posted about my needs above,as far as 'Spring Preload', there isn't anything I should have to do(new bike-stock setting) ? How do I know when the 'Compression' and 'Rebound' dampening are right for my set-up ?
Thanks for the question....I do wish I could have a great answer for you. But, Suspension is somewhat personal. So I would ask you back what you think it is doing wrong? And then I can give you feedback. Is it chattering...front or rear...does it feel like a pogo-stick. Without feedback from the rider I would be unable to address proper settings. As long as it feels good...that is a great start. If you want go out and try a few things with what the manual says. Practice whether riding or tuning or bike makes you a better rider.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for the question....I do wish I could have a great answer for you. But, Suspension is somewhat personal. So I would ask you back what you think it is doing wrong? And then I can give you feedback. Is it chattering...front or rear...does it feel like a pogo-stick. Without feedback from the rider I would be unable to address proper settings. As long as it feels good...that is a great start. If you want go out and try a few things with what the manual says. Practice whether riding or tuning or bike makes you a better rider.
Thanx 4 the reply ! Next week when I get the time I guess I'll get a journal and try some setting changes. I believe it's a stock setup and don't feel there's any issues,just wondering if fine tuning would make it better ? Like I mentioned ,I've never touched the suspensions before so a little experimenting with notes to refer to should be a good start :thumbup: DJ in NYC 09

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I spent some time at the track last weekend, and I can modulate the clutch and rear brake in order to back it in, but A I have a mental block about leaning the bike while sliding (I was told to get on top of the bike and push it down, which makes it a bit easier. I thought I was staying on top of the bike before, but I was told I need more) and B I lost concentration over the front brake while I'm sliding the rear and way overshot the apex. Do I just need to keep working on getting the slide down, that way I'm right on track for the apex, or do I need to focus on the front brake and not slide into corners?

·
Registered
2 Posts
suspension woos

Gary I'm a new owner of a 08 WRX with ??'s about setting up front and rear suspension. I have no idea if the original settings have been changed, but with only 200 miles on Her I tend to believe not. I've never done anything suspension-wise with any bikes other than installing new shocks.My riding is exclusively street ripping/commuting .I'm 6ft-165lbs and I ride some-what agressive. I have a shop manual to lead me thru the procedures and a good amount of mechanic tools. Are there any specialty tools needed ? How do I know what's the right settings F&R ? What are the different type of settings and what do they actually mean? Preload ? What should I be looking for while riding to determine any changes? I know it's alot of ??'s but I'd like to get a little more knowledge so I can get the most outa Her ! Thanx DJ in NYC 09
hi my name is sergio and i work at Factory Connection. i set up a wrx for a friend of my about 6'2" and 170#s and those bikes are set up way too soft for any asphalt riding they bassically have woods bike suspension on them if you want it for street your gonna have to get it revalved, spring rates are good for your weight also suggest lowwering the rear of that bike about 1 inch helps it quit a bit if you want to have your stuff done by us just looks us up in the web.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Travesti

I have used ACME brand muffler bearings for years and they've never let me down yet. Actually I've never even tried any other brands since I heard that all the top pros use ACME. I'm sure Gary runs them as well.

-----------------------------
Travesti

41 - 52 of 52 Posts