SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to start off by welcoming everyone to Silent "H" #357 Riding and Tech Tips. Our forum here will be designed to help you improve your riding and then answer some of your technical questions.

I would like to get some feedback with questions that you want answered. I will then pick one of the best questions to start the forum off. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks!
Gary Trachy

·
Registered
713 Posts
How do I trick myself into getting on the gas earlier? I can hang with the fast guys on the brakes and mid corner speed but then they creep away from me on the exits.:headscrat

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
How do I trick myself into getting on the gas earlier? I can hang with the fast guys on the brakes and mid corner speed but then they creep away from me on the exits.:headscrat

If you're on the gas you'll never tuck the front (at least 99% of the time).

So just wack it and hope for the best.

Seriously. What I did to improve in that respect.

On a really curvy road, lay off the brakes completely. On the straights, go

a tidge slower then what you could do in the corner. Just as, or before, you

tip into the corner, crack the throttle and gently begin to roll it on. After a

while you'll get a really good feel of what the rear can handle. On the track,

I get on the gas the instant I'm done trail braking. The rear may slide or spin

at times, but it is better than tucking the front.

Also I find that being on the throttle tightens my line and I can turn quicker.
My .02

·
Registered
740 Posts
What should a rider be feeling for from his/her suspension on the asphalt?
--> How should the suspension be performing on the asphalt?

When and why to use "backing it in" and for which kind of turns?
--> Advantages and disadvantages of "backing it in"?

What is the (or a correct) body position for entering and exiting asphalt turns?
--> How about turns in the dirt?
--> Body positioning for riding the dirt sections with SM tires?

How do you stay calm during intense dicing during a race?
--> How about passing, especially when slower riders use the same line as you?

Thanks Gary! I attended your school at Stateline in spring. I really enjoyed it and I think more people should attend them. Of course, there were the guys and kids who didn't really seek out the help. I was often one of the few guys asking Cassidy or Micky technical questions. Thanks again for all the help, and I look forward to some tips in this new forum!

Dave

·
Registered
213 Posts
Body Position

I used to ride a sport bike, so supermoto body positioning is totally foreign to me.

A few of the guys at the track told me to put my weight as far forward as possible in the turns. I have been told that the more weight there is on the front tire, the more traction it will have and thus, the better. This doesn't make logical sense to me, and I feel that I'm often overloading the front tire and causing it to push. This is confirmed by the fact that when I roll on the throttle, the front lightens up and stops pushing.

How far forward should I put my weight and at what point in the corner?

Also, where should I be putting my weight laterally? In most pictures, I see the pros keeping their bodies pretty much in line with the bike, but I've also had people tell me to try and keep my body vertical while I lay the bike over. How does body position affect traction and lean angle?

I'm also interested in the question about when and how hard to get on the throttle when exiting a turn.

It's really great to have this new forum. Can't wait to start reading some expert advice. I'll be getting your new DVD for Christmas, and I imagine that will answer some of these questions for me.

Welcome!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Muffler Bearing Problem

I have a question about what brand of muffler bearings to buy. The dealership said that my bike was getting slow because the muffler bearings were worn out or the last owner installed the wrong type of bearings.

Please Master Trachy - you are my only help

·
Registered
648 Posts
Scott - I have used ACME brand muffler bearings for years and they've never let me down yet. Actually I've never even tried any other brands since I heard that all the top pros use ACME. I'm sure Gary runs them as well.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
How to dial in suspension to be fast around a track, without using telemetry of any sort. I've noticed a difference between what "feels" fast, and what IS fast when I was racing cars. I'm certain Supermoto is no different.

·
Registered
879 Posts
body position

body position on dirt. i come from motocross backcround (still race mx too)
and what i have learned for 10years of riding is that you have to feel the bike.
on dirt i try to stay on the pegs as much as possible and be smooth on gas and also brakes. you can use gas to steer the bike where you want it to go and slide the rear if needed. neutral position is center of the bike and you just change it from there depending on situation. on some turns you need to sit, and when leaning the bike on flat turns keeping your weight on the outside peg and sitting upright helps you to get more traction, on these kind of turns you need to have good throttle control. you want to avoid pumping the thottle as this will unsetle bikes balance and can break traction. smoothnes is the key. works for me:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are all great questions except for SMR Scotts'. I once heard there is "no such thing as a stupid question" Scott reminded me that that saying is not true.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a question about what brand of muffler bearings to buy. The dealership said that my bike was getting slow because the muffler bearings were worn out or the last owner installed the wrong type of bearings.

i hear your powerband will go out before your muffler bearings.. just a heads up.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Gary,

Can you please help me stop being a wuss, and just go for the doubles?

·
Registered
797 Posts
hmm, one question

Gary, sort of exactly when going into, through the center, and out of a corner do YOU use YOUR rear brake, and why.?..... unravel the mystery for us!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
you use the rear brake to control the speed of the rear wheel. When you are sliding the wheel is still spinning its a combination of being on the front brakes engine braking and feathering the rear brake. You can use the rear brake to slide deeper into the corner and hit your transition point where you go from sliding to straightening the bike out and getting back on the throttle.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Did not Ron White say "you can't fix stupid!"??

Gary, grooved or ungrooved tires? And why??
Also could you please explain the real reason for 17 vs. 16.5 front? Heard many different stories and would like one that really makes sense. thanks

Tfunk

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Thanks for doing this gary.

i'm not fast but i feel comfortable in all areas of sm riding except doing those flat loose dirt turns. I'm utterly clueless in the best way to aproach and take a simple dirt turn on slicks. i've spent some time with two cones in a dirt field, but i still feel like i'm tip toe-ing around the apex. my wife once said "looked like you were walking it through the dirt section" :D

·
Registered
856 Posts

They have some nice ones at pep boy's. You can find the between the turn signal fluid and piston return springs.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Did not Ron White say "you can't fix stupid!"??

please explain the real reason for 17 vs. 16.5 front? Heard many different stories and would like one that really makes sense. thanks

Tfunk

+1 on this question. i've been told it helps with quicker turn in. But if that is the case, why not just raise the fork in the triples?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts