SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new to the group. I was looking through the posts and I was able to find warp 9's wheels mentioned, but no feedback from anyone that is actually using them. I am getting ready to convert my 99 to sm for better street use, but wanted to retain the dirt wheels for dual sport riding. We have loads here in Pa. Anyone have any experience with the warp 9s? Have a concern with the lack of the cush drive.

Bob E
Marysville. Pa

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I read both of those threads already, along with many others. Used the search button with just about every option I could think of. I honestly was looking for specific feedback on using them on the DR650. Factory uses a cush drive, not sure about the ones discussed in those threads. Even went through 3 years worth of DR650 photos and posts, only to see that just about everybody was using RAD hubs and Excel rims. I'd love to also, but cost is a real concern. Warp 9's with tires, rotors, sprocket, are less than the other combo (wheels only).

Bob E

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm going through the same process / decision making right now and looking for this exact information. (I'm even located in PA as well :D )

Bump for a good cause!

Warp 9 cushless package for 1k?
Wheels/hubs/tires that utilize cush for 1.5?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey, new to the group. I was looking through the posts and I was able to find warp 9's wheels mentioned, but no feedback from anyone that is actually using them. I am getting ready to convert my 99 to sm for better street use, but wanted to retain the dirt wheels for dual sport riding. We have loads here in Pa. Anyone have any experience with the warp 9s? Have a concern with the lack of the cush drive.

Bob E
Marysville. Pa
I personally wouldn't loose the cush drive, potential trans. and engine damage from all those big bangs, thats why it came from the factory with "cush". Do what I did for the cheapest of all conversions when I built my first dr650 in 1999. Your rear wheel is a 17" have it laced to the front hub wtth heavy duty spokes, then buy an excell wheel (4.25 was the size I used, with a 150 tire) and have it laced to the stock rear hub with standard cush drive and heavy duty spokes. DONE!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I personally wouldn't loose the cush drive, potential trans. and engine damage from all those big bangs, thats why it came from the factory with "cush". Do what I did for the cheapest of all conversions when I built my first dr650 in 1999. Your rear wheel is a 17" have it laced to the front hub wtth heavy duty spokes, then buy an excell wheel (4.25 was the size I used, with a 150 tire) and have it laced to the stock rear hub with standard cush drive and heavy duty spokes. DONE!
Genious!!! Big thanks for this advice!

About spokes - warp9 offer set of spokes for 89$, but will they work with stock hubs? Or maybe you could tell which spokes you use?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Genious!!! Big thanks for this advice!

About spokes - warp9 offer set of spokes for 89$, but will they work with stock hubs? Or maybe you could tell which spokes you use?
Sorry, don't remember who made the spokes, just that they were oversized. Contact any wheel builder in your area, or see if you can buy just the spokes from procycle, from their wheel kit.
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

I have also read some good reviews just recently on the Kush sproket, seems they might have gotten the durability issues worked out.
http://www.kushsprockets.com/design

·
Registered
108 Posts
Forgot to mention, when I 'tarded my dr650 it was in 1999 or 2000, there were no kits available. One of the reasons I bought it was because it used a 17 inch rear wheel to make conversion easier and cheaper. I had that bike for 6 years and loved it. I've only had 1 other bike for that long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts