SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 SMR 450 with 24 hrs on it.

I'm at Talladega on Sunday for the opening WERA round. Out in practice, I Brake to avoid a lapper. The front end shakes and wobbles like crazy. Come into the pits to find oil is running/pouring from the left fork leg. The seal didn't blow, however the fork tube had started to back itself out from the axle boss, dumping fork oil out of the bottom of the fork. Lucky, Thermosman was there to save the day. Yanked the fork off and he rebuilt and serviced it in less than 20 mins, and I had it back on the bike in plenty of time to make my races.

So, please take off your front wheel and make sure the axle bosses are secure to the fork tubes.

·
Registered
646 Posts
yup had that same prob! scary when you try and brake and the bike does not want to slow cuz the pads are soaked in fork oil!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SAD. I was hoping I was the only one. I hope this isn't going to be a normal thing, if so it will get real old real quick. I loctited it in pretty good, and raced 3 races that day with no other issues. Hopfully it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
171 Posts
How can this be prevented? Looking at the service manual seems I can check the tightness of the nut at thr bottom of the forks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Wow.

Thanks for the heads up man. I've got well over 40 hrs on mine, with no issue, but I'm going to pull that off and put some loctite on it, and saftey-wire it (somehow). Thats not cool.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not a nut that came loose. It was the off gold colored piece that the axle goes thru and the brake caliper attach to. So I think the only way to secure it will be loctite

·
Registered
166 Posts
Are you describing the gold colored cast piece that the axle is held by, the lower fork guard mounts to and the caliper mounts to and it's connection to the chromed tube that slides through the fork seals when the forks are compressed?

If so is the bottom of the chromed tube threaded into the gold colored cast piece and is this where the Loctite was needed?

I am curious as to what would cause these pieces to unthread from each other as the slider tube is not loaded rotationally at any time other than when the front wheel is removed and the fork tubes rotated to remove the wheel.

Not doubting that this actually happened mind you, just curious as to the reason behind the failure.

Joel

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have absolutely horrible image manipulation skills but are these the parts in question? Labeled 1, the gold piece. Labeled 2 the piece that came out of the gold piece.

Joel

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
I have seen this 1 time years ago on a Yamaha YZ. The aluminum piece screws over the steel fork tube. They should be red loctited from the factory.

If you can pull the forks apart its easy to repair. Using a alum protected vise jaw hold where the axle goes threw the aluminum bottom. At the very top of the fork tube there should be some nice round holes that a large Craftsman phyllips screwdriver with a round shaft will fit nicely threw. Unscrew them and thourally clean with contact cleaner and apply a generous amount of red loctite and screw them back together as tight as you can get it. The loctite locks and seals the threads.

I would let your dealer know about it as this could become a serious safety issue for others and besides you should be reimbursed from Husky for having the suspension guru repair it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tls25rs said:
Are you describing the gold colored cast piece that the axle is held by, the lower fork guard mounts to and the caliper mounts to and it's connection to the chromed tube that slides through the fork seals when the forks are compressed?

I am curious as to what would cause these pieces to unthread from each other
Joel
Yes, That is what I am talking about.

And me too....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ok ok, now I know what your talking about... but for that to unscrew.... How the bloody mary? The whole fork tube would have to rotate, and unless my understanding of forks is completely skewed, the only way that could unscrew is with the front wheel off, or the upper clamps loosened, no?

Edit: Ooooohh. The slider unscrews from the mount. Still... how the hell does that happen?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, looks like I have something for Computrack to take a look at while my forks are being rebuilt...............

Thanks

Joel

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FYI, Your forks flex and twist while riding the bike, they just don't go up and down. Then add to the fact that our bikes only have one rotor and capiler upfront (on the left side) so under heavy braking this also adds a twisting effect. So with out the loctite, all that twisting could cause it to start to loosen.

That's my theory at least:hmmm:

·
Registered
48 Posts
ShakenBake said:
2006 SMR 450 with 24 hrs on it.

I'm at Talladega on Sunday for the opening WERA round. Out in practice, I Brake to avoid a lapper. The front end shakes and wobbles like crazy. Come into the pits to find oil is running/pouring from the left fork leg. The seal didn't blow, however the fork tube had started to back itself out from the axle boss, dumping fork oil out of the bottom of the fork. Lucky, Thermosman was there to save the day. Yanked the fork off and he rebuilt and serviced it in less than 20 mins, and I had it back on the bike in plenty of time to make my races.

So, please take off your front wheel and make sure the axle bosses are secure to the fork tubes.
Thanks, mine have survived hundreds of hard bottoming jumps and are fine. But I'll check them anyway.

·
Registered
171 Posts
140 hrs. and 3000 mi. cheked the forks by twisting the slider (cromed part) and it felt tight. I will keep an eye on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts