SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, here's a question for the KTM experts. :thumbup:

I'm in the market for another supermoto and I am thinking about going with KTM this time. I've owned several Huskys in the past and a KTM 950SE, so I'm not ignorant of motorcycles or supermotos in general but I am not familiar with the differences of KTM models and yearly changes.

I want to go with a 450 or 525/530 that's street legal in CA. Obviously I am interested in getting as much HP and Torque as possible. I'd prefer a used bike due to the fact that I am obsessed with modifying any bike I own, so I'll be dumping cash into mods and a new bike eats up the funds from the start. If you think a new bike that is on crazy sale would be best, let me know which model and why.

Here are my requirements
* Budget: $4K-$6K used w/ low hours or recent top-end rebuild (ie: doesn't need a rebuild soon)
* 450-530cc 4 stroke
* 2006 or newer
* CA street legal from factory or no issues plating and keeping plate legal
* as strong and fast as the hopped up '06 Husky SMR450 I currently ride
* has e-start by default or can be added easily
* slipper clutch available aftermarket
* can take marchesini wheels without crazy mods or custom spacers
* can take a Scotts steering damper
* runs an FCR carb
* 17" wheels so I can run sport bike tires for street
* will do 90-100mph if I need to, but feels best on 30-60mph corners
* pulls wheelies without trying :D

Help me out - tell me what all of the EXC, SX, ECW, etc etc means and what SM bike I should go buy. I might just be switching teams to orange for good here... :clap:

If you've got links to a bike you're selling that fits those requirements by all means PM me.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
'07 525 EXC. they were street legal right out of the box and they meet most of your criteria.

has e-start, 6 speed wide ratio so it will do 100 mph with the right gearing, reliable engine (RFS > XC4 engine), will easily take a steering damper and marchesini's, runs an FCR carb (though it's a 39 mm, not a 41 mm), load of slipperclutches for it, even more so, tons and tons of parts available for it.

only downside is you trade in a little performance compared to an SX or SMR, problem is SX and SMR's are not street legal. besides, for the street you really want an EXC.

don't directly compare it to your 450 husky. huskies run completely different, they rev to the moon (ven the 510) and most of the power is located in the upper rev range. power wise a 525 will not produce a buttload more hp but the main difference is the power delivery. think tractorpower with a lot of low and midrange grunt so twist that throttle even at low rpm's and the front will be pointing skywards in the first couple gears.

I wouldn't go 530 (=XC4) because they are more prone to having problems, especialy when you're thinking about doing lots of mods. with your budget you probably won't be able to get a more recent XC4 bike (2010 or younger) so you'd be forced to get a modelyear where all the kinks weren't worked out yet. if you really want to go 530, get a 2010 or younger, otherwise don't bother.

an RFS engine is good base to build on plus tons of parts between different models are interchangeable. you can take SX or SMR engine components and just throw them on your EXC without much hassle. most important thing, with a little luck and proper maintenance an RFS can go hundreds of running hours without needing any major engine work. just change oil, check the valves and have fun.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The link for KTM history was great... very informative and it reminded me just how much I've been wanting 2008+ Duke 690 :D

Now I just need to find a good price on one in SoCal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts