SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I live in Wales, Uk plenty of twisty, nice slow roads hardly get into any dual carriages.

I currently have a 2016 Mt07 and it’s a hooligan machine,
But I’m leaning back to supermotos, and want something reliable, but cheap..?
I don’t mind doing oil/filter changes but if it requires lots of work then it won’t be for me..

it’ll be used off-road a little bit, with mainly short road spins, and will commute it to and from in my van.

After research I’m still left a little puzzled,
I don’t want to spend over loads as ill be forking out hundreds on supermoto tyres etc,
KTM exc 400? 530? LC4? Drz400?
What do people think? I would love any input guys, and would prefer a bike already on a day time MOT and road registered!

any advice from any UK members?
Thanks again!! First post in here

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Drz is cheap and reliable with loads of parts to make them faster. One thing you cant get around is the weight.... mine was 330lbs if i remember right. But you cant get around the reliability. I got 30k miles before i sold it only ever having to deal with a bad stator at around 15k.

You wont get the power out of it without spending what you would on a ktm.

I am always a fan of KTM though.... lc4 is a good motor. Id bet the price will be 2 to 3x what a drz would cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drz is cheap and reliable with loads of parts to make them faster. One thing you cant get around is the weight.... mine was 330lbs if i remember right. But you cant get around the reliability. I got 30k miles before i sold it only ever having to deal with a bad stator at around 15k.

You wont get the power out of it without spending what you would on a ktm.

I am always a fan of KTM though.... lc4 is a good motor. Id bet the price will be 2 to 3x what a drz would cost.
Yeah DRZ seems the safe bet, but seems to be heavy/smaller than the others but also has some decent power, the LC4’s are between 2000-3500 here in the UK and a clean drz are 3000-4500 depending on condition

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
That is surprising price on the drz. I know they hold their value well.

I had done some work to my drz. Cams. Higher compression. Exhaust. New carb. Power was decent but it still revved slower just from air flow and from motor mass. In the end the weight mattered a lot more to me off road. I didnt really notice on the track or street.

For the prices you listed a clean lc4 might be how i would lean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the DRZ’s do well with value in the UK,
I’ve got a new one to the list now the Husqvarna Te610/sm610 same bike bla bla, but hear they’re reliable seems to be a direct similar bike to the lc4 little less weight more power, smaller petrol tank tho
Speaking to someone with a 2000 model, but it has only 6000 odd miles, seems clean too and is up for sale around £2000 so might take a dive into that idea

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hello and welcome...

So it looks you can do some service etc..But in you case i would check all those streetsupermoto, i would leave out those "race" version. They weigh a little more than those "race" version, but has way more longer maintenance interval, some parts are cheaper, easy to get etc...

·
Registered
8 Posts
The rfs ktm engine is a great reliable bike whether its a 400/450/525. I have the 07’ 525exc and its so nimble it feels like a toy but yet so damn powerful it will flip easy if you dont hold on. I heard they can go for 10’s and thousands of miles without splitting cases. Mine has 2,500 miles so its still a baby

·
Registered
90 Posts
The rfs ktm engine is a great reliable bike whether its a 400/450/525. I have the 07’ 525exc and its so nimble it feels like a toy but yet so damn powerful it will flip easy if you dont hold on. I heard they can go for 10’s and thousands of miles without splitting cases. Mine has 2,500 miles so its still a baby
I have an 07 525 and I can vouch for the reliability, I also use it as a supermoto, I currently have metzler slicks on it. It’s not to powerful at all. I love it, if you’re fast you want to do suspension. I recently did a big bike track day at thunderhill west and let me tell ya passing 1000’s in the corners and under braking is good fun. I have the KTM Cush drive setup, makes life easier on the bottom end but if you’re not doing true sm (dirt to street) you don’t really need it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Ive only owned rf4 ktm 450s and the odd 250 but i do know of at least 2 rfs bikes that the cranks twisted on. One had the crank welded on rebuild to prevent it. I think one was a 525 and the other was a 450smr. Both used on the sm track if it males a difference.

I am not sure how common that problem was but might be worth a search in case you find a high mileage one. Fwiw the old dr350 had a similar problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts