SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just did a calculation to see how much money I'd save, if I kept my "worn" tire on my bike until I really HAD to replace it.

I already ordered a new tire, as my belt is JUST starting to show on my rear tire. But if I wait to change it, I'll save myself about 6 cents for every mile I continue to ride on the worn tire. That's about $12 for 200 miles. Not too shabby. Let's see the math.

My last tire change, I got 2624 miles on my rear tire before I changed it. I am on par to get the same miles on my current tire. So lets say I average 2600 miles per rear tire. My first rear tire cost me $174. The one that is on there now cost me $161. So we simple divide the amount of miles I can get on my tire, by the amount that it cost me, and that will tell me how much dollars per mile it "cost" me.

161/2600 = 0.062

That's about 6 cents for every mile. So, I'm going to try to get a couple hundred more miles on this tire before I swap it out.

Sure, you could argue that a "savings" of $12 isn't worth the increased accident potential (less grip, less stable tire structure, etc.). But I'm not TOO sure how dangerous it really is to ride on the belts, especially when there is a tube in there too...and the belts aren't showing THAT bad anyway...

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
You know it never even dawned me about the tube being in there. Now you got me thinking I'm gonna ride this one until I can't give it throttle or brake anymore due to cord slippage. Of course I'll try and baby the center for a while.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Seriously? Would you drive your car around on tires with the belts showing? You realize those are the round things between you and the road, right? Do not compromise safety at whatever the cost. Replace your tires when before they get to the belts, you will be better off for it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seriously? Would you drive your car around on tires with the belts showing? You realize those are the round things between you and the road, right? Do not compromise safety at whatever the cost. Replace your tires when before they get to the belts, you will be better off for it.
No I wouldn't, because cars use "100%" of their tread at all times. Where with motorcycle, the tread where the belt is, is only about 33% of the tire...if that. Granted, it's the straight line part of the tire, where braking is most used, but around corners, it shouldn't effect the amount of tire on the tarmac...unlike with a car. I do realize it MAY decrease the stability of the tire, which is why one should truly weigh the advantage/disadvantage while running their rear tire on the "belt".

·
Registered
167 Posts
No I wouldn't, because cars use "100%" of their tread at all times. Where with motorcycle, the tread where the belt is, is only about 33% of the tire...if that. Granted, it's the straight line part of the tire, where braking is most used, but around corners, it shouldn't effect the amount of tire on the tarmac...unlike with a car. I do realize it MAY decrease the stability of the tire, which is why one should truly weigh the advantage/disadvantage while running their rear tire on the "belt".
Have fun when the belt breaks simply because you're being cheap. What you are advocating is not only dangerous but illegal.

There are so many tires out there at different price points that really negates the point of being so frugal as to run a tire down that far. If you can't afford to ride, don't ride.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have fun when the belt breaks simply because you're being cheap. What you are advocating is not only dangerous but illegal.

There are so many tires out there at different price points that really negates the point of being so frugal as to run a tire down that far. If you can't afford to ride, don't ride.
More so that saying "you should do this!", I'm simply stating what the cost is of running a tire, and informing members what the "advantage" is to keeping your tires for that bit longer. I definitely have never, and don't ever plan to, ride past the tires capability. Once the belt starts to show, I order a new tire, and swap it out once the white shows on the old tire. I'm not cheap, nor do I encourage others to sacrifice their safety for money.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Single stupidest thing ever.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Watch out, the Safety Police are gonna get you!

For what it's worth, I too think what you're doing is pretty dumb. Funny, but dumb. Just change the tire already.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
wow:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
im all about saving money, and im not exactly a safety advocate we were doing 70mph stand ups yesterday with just a helmet on down the highway. not safe. or even smart. so i am not the safety police. but riding on a tire showing belts to save 12$.... come on.
say a car pulls out in front of you and you dump the bike, or whichever million scenarios where a completely worn out tire could cause you to drop the bike. whatever parts you scratch up or break on the bike. or on the car you slid into, or whatever, will be more than 12 bucks. guarunteed.

drop the bike, skin your knee, break your arm.... whatever. thats all fine and dandy. but its not worth the 12 bucks man. put a new tire on and consider it insurance for the next 2000 miles for 12 dollars. thats cheap. itll save you more in the long run.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
So, I just did a calculation to see how much money I'd save, if I kept my "worn" tire on my bike until I really HAD to replace it.

I already ordered a new tire, as my belt is JUST starting to show on my rear tire. But if I wait to change it, I'll save myself about 6 cents for every mile I continue to ride on the worn tire. That's about $12 for 200 miles. Not too shabby. Let's see the math.

My last tire change, I got 2624 miles on my rear tire before I changed it. I am on par to get the same miles on my current tire. So lets say I average 2600 miles per rear tire. My first rear tire cost me $174. The one that is on there now cost me $161. So we simple divide the amount of miles I can get on my tire, by the amount that it cost me, and that will tell me how much dollars per mile it "cost" me.

161/2600 = 0.062

That's about 6 cents for every mile. So, I'm going to try to get a couple hundred more miles on this tire before I swap it out.

Sure, you could argue that a "savings" of $12 isn't worth the increased accident potential (less grip, less stable tire structure, etc.). But I'm not TOO sure how dangerous it really is to ride on the belts, especially when there is a tube in there too...and the belts aren't showing THAT bad anyway...
would you happen to know a guy named Shervin?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
as for one i appreciate the maths involved in this and its something to think about... but just think... its not the most cost effective

but i personally change my tire as soon as it hits the wear bar.... no need to risk my life for 12 bucks.. even in an accident a copper will see threads on your tire and youll have a hard job convincing him on your $12 argument :lol:

anyways..... think long and hard about yourself and other road users before you go running on threads

we don't wanna see a thread started cos you've bit the dust due to a tire malfunction

·
Registered
363 Posts
a completely worn out tire could cause you to drop the bike. whatever parts you scratch up or break on the bike. or on the car you slid into, or whatever, will be more than 12 bucks. guarunteed. drop the bike, skin your knee, break your arm.... whatever. thats all fine and dandy. but its not worth the 12 bucks man. put a new tire on and consider it insurance for the next 2000 miles for 12 dollars. thats cheap. itll save you more in the long run.
Not to mention during the accident investigation when it's documented that you were riding on a worn and unsafe tire it could place you at fault even if you weren't...which...technically you would be anyway for riding on an unsafe tire.
TOO MUCH AT STAKE!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Or I'll just keep the $12 that I was going to give your mom tonight.
:Funny: ZING! :clap:

I lol'd.

FWIW, I need tires on my R1....bad.....they're diablo corsa 3's circa '07, I've done 2 trackdays on them, and probably 8-9k street miles.....they're so cheesed that the rubber is cracking and falling off the carcass.....the composition of the rubber is crumbly...kind of hard to wheelie it now....It pretty much just lights up the rear and I don't trust them at all to chuck into any type of aggressive corner.:anim_peep:

Not going to ride it again till I get them replaced though....not worth it.:headshake

1 - 20 of 26 Posts