SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 2001 VOR 503 SM. I was supplied with the bike a range of extras to include a starter motor. I have looked at this and after a time removing coolant hoses engine mount n/s and water pump to assist installation, I am still none the wiser. It seems to me it needs the engine moving back to facilitate this. Has anyone else come across this problem? The reason I am fitting is because the bike has been laid up for a year at least without starting, and can I hell as get it to kick. Got sparks and fuel, just thought it would may start a bit easier on the electric.Any ideas?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have the same model as yourself but can offer no help with the starter, the elec start seems to me to be a joke anyway as it's never that successful, except for priming the carbs after a lay up! Persist with the kick start & you'll learn the technique. Best of luck, Robs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have just purchased a 2001 VOR 503 SM. I was supplied with the bike a range of extras to include a starter motor. I have looked at this and after a time removing coolant hoses engine mount n/s and water pump to assist installation, I am still none the wiser. It seems to me it needs the engine moving back to facilitate this. Has anyone else come across this problem? The reason I am fitting is because the bike has been laid up for a year at least without starting, and can I hell as get it to kick. Got sparks and fuel, just thought it would may start a bit easier on the electric.Any ideas?
Hooray I've sorted it! It seems the magneto cover has to be removed, with the ring gear out of the way there is more room to jiggle the starter in place. I am still having problems starting though.
Even though I have put a new battery on, it struggles to turn over.

I do'nt think I will ever get the hang of the kick start. Unless the decompressor needs adjusting? I have smashed up my shin big style.

Any ideas? I don't think it should be that hard. My XT350 is easy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, they don't turn over too great. I jump mine from a car battery to get it going, or to turn it over before kicking. It's a handy enough procedure really. crank it over until it clicks, let the kick start back up till another click is heard (decomp) then kick it over again, repeat till exhaustion!!! there's no need to kick too hard just take it handy but if it ain't been ran in a while I find that it's a fecker to start anyway, especially my kick start only 503EN.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts