SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure about other people that have Vapor gauges but I find mine has a taste for batteries.

Anyway, The Source (formally Radioshack) has a warrenty on there batteries so if you get the $1.50 warrenty you can replace your batteries 2 times within 3 years.

I just replaced mine and feel like I stole it. I just thought I would pass my findings along.... :thumbup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
i've been wanting to put a battery on my vapor for a few weeks now, and wasnt sure how to go about doing it. does radio shack have a plug and play battery? or do you need to wire it up?

·
Registered
504 Posts
i've been wanting to put a battery on my vapor for a few weeks now, and wasnt sure how to go about doing it. does radio shack have a plug and play battery? or do you need to wire it up?
Dude..

Step one, examine the Vapor... where would the battery go? Hmm let's look at the front side, well that is just a large lcd screen, the battery must be somewhere else! Let's look on the back, oh my, there is a cover. I wonder what's under it!? Let's remove it, well, there is a battery! OK, now we have gotten pretty far, are you still with me? I know this may be tough, but we are ALMOST done! Now examine the battery, oh, I see some numbers. Maybe I should take this battery to radioshack, and get a new one with the same numbers! And thats it! Congratulations, that was difficult! :clap:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dude..

Step one, examine the Vapor... where would the battery go? Hmm let's look at the front side, well that is just a large lcd screen, the battery must be somewhere else! Let's look on the back, oh my, there is a cover. I wonder what's under it!? Let's remove it, well, there is a battery! OK, now we have gotten pretty far, are you still with me? I know this may be tough, but we are ALMOST done! Now examine the battery, oh, I see some numbers. Maybe I should take this battery to radioshack, and get a new one with the same numbers! And thats it! Congratulations, that was difficult! :clap:

I know there is a battery inside the vapor, im not a idiot. but thats not what I was talking about. My XR dosent have a battery I can tap the vapor into and run off of, I was wondering if radio shack carried batteries similar to the ones trail-tech sells. Like this one: http://http://www.trailtech.net/040-BATT3.7.html

Or if you could rig one up, using a AA or 9V.

I do quite a bit of commuting at night, and the backlight only stays on for 3 seconds while running off the battery inside the vapor. I'd like it to be on all the time when im riding at night. The vapor kit comes with power wires to tap into the electrical system, I was just seeing if anyone else has run the vapor off an alternate power source on a bike without a battery. I wouldnt mind putting an on/off toggle switch between the battery and the vapor, since I wouldnt need the back light on during the day.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't see the link you have there but I'm pretty sure i know what type of battery you're talking about and they didn't have anything like those at the Source i went to so i tried to make my own....which didn't work so well.

Anyway, I just have the Vapor hooked into my power wire which works but when my 3V battery in the Vapor runs out I have to reset all of my settings.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I know there is a battery inside the vapor, im not a idiot. but thats not what I was talking about. My XR dosent have a battery I can tap the vapor into and run off of, I was wondering if radio shack carried batteries similar to the ones trail-tech sells. Like this one: http://http://www.trailtech.net/040-BATT3.7.html

Or if you could rig one up, using a AA or 9V.

I do quite a bit of commuting at night, and the backlight only stays on for 3 seconds while running off the battery inside the vapor.
My WR doesn't have a battery, you can splice into lots of other power sources.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You know you can use AC power to supply juice to the trailtech. This means on your XR that is probably AC power you can just tap into your running lights or headlight for juice.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
my vapor is on my streetbike... so its onboard battery is only being used when the ignition is turned off.
the bike has sat for 8 months now, and is still running fine off the battery. if you're killing batterys your power source isnt working. you're running the gauge off its little watch battery.
id recheck thoes connections.

the battery itself is fairly common "watch battery" style, and in addition to battery shops, it can be found in camera stores too.. (they use similar batterys to remember the date) my local grocery store also happens to sell them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
if you have a light, you have a power source. the internal battery is only $6-9 and so far i still have the original. i don't have a batt on the bike. the only time the light is on is when the bike is running.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I know my power source is working since my vapor only worked, before I replaced the battery, when the bike was running so no problems there.

I think where my problem is when I roll into the driveway I tend to shut the bike down before I stop. This seems to freeze the screen on sometimes and if I don't notice it the battery wears down.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just call trail tech and ask them. I had a couple issues with mine and they sent me a brand new one. It's worth a try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts